How do you review over practice tests?

lakers3peat

How do you review over practice tests?

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:41 pm

First and foremost, before even answering this question... IS THERE A SEARCH FUNCTION FOR THIS FORUM!?!?!?!?

ahhh I feel like I am repeating so many posts but I can't find anyway to search prior threads, I see "advanced forum search" but that's not working...

ANYWAYS, I am wondering what other test takers do after finishing a practice test and figuring out what they got right/what they got wrong. I've read from many of you that it is a waste of time to take a test then take another one the next day without reviewing over. So what I am wondering is what do you all do to review? Do you read every question again and think about what answer and see if it corresponds with what you originally put? Do you go only to the wrong questions? Do you try to do the game all over again if you made a mistake? etc.

Also, out of curiosity, even if you run out of time, do you stop answering the questions lol? I usually get to at least 22-23 of them but it seems stupid to me to go to the answer key and mark in the right answer for 24-25 without even looking at them so I usually star them and answer anyways then see what I got right/wrong, discounting the fact that I took extended time for the last two.

Cheers, thanks for responses in advance. Also, good luck to all of you taking the test in a week. I have decided to wait till december seeing as I have 15 more practice tests to study on and have no real responsibility driving me to apply sooner than later. Also, my test center is 1.5 hours from house which is complete bullshit. <3 lsac.

lmr

Re: How do you review over practice tests?

Postby lmr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:44 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108546

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see a search forum function.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Definitely review every test after you take it.

What I do takes close to an hour, but it helps.

First, its important to go over everything. Not just the ones you got wrong, but also the ones you got right. For the ones you got right, why did you choose the right answer? Did you know it, did you guess? For the ones you got wrong, why did you choose the wrong answer? What was it about the answer that enticed you? What was it about the right answer that chose you to eliminate it/not choose it? Its very important to get to the bottom of this.

I also go through every argument and identify the conclusion, its premises and any assumptions they may have. This has helped me tremendously.

Good luck!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 pm

gdane5 wrote:Definitely review every test after you take it.

First, its important to go over everything. Not just the ones you got wrong, but also the ones you got right. For the ones you got right, why did you choose the right answer? Did you know it, did you guess? For the ones you got wrong, why did you choose the wrong answer? What was it about the answer that enticed you? What was it about the right answer that chose you to eliminate it/not choose it? Its very important to get to the bottom of this.

I also go through every argument and identify the conclusion, its premises and any assumptions they may have. This has helped me tremendously.

Good luck!

If you can do all that in an hour you must be knocking out 180's lol. Sounds like a good strategy though.

I just go over the one's I got wrong and the ones I wasn't 100% sure of. For logic games I think it is best to do the whole thing over though because you probably missed an inference that would have made it easy.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:00 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Definitely review every test after you take it.

Good luck!

If you can do all that in an hour you must be knocking out 180's lol. Sounds like a good strategy though.

I just go over the one's I got wrong and the ones I wasn't 100% sure of. For logic games I think it is best to do the whole thing over though because you probably missed an inference that would have made it easy.

Definitely not getting 180's, but I have improved drastically from where I originally was. The main idea is to understand why things are right and why they're wrong.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:22 pm

lol i see what you are saying and this is basically what I have been doing(minus the part about identifying conclusion/premises/assumptions) but I have three issues that you may beable to offer insight on..

1-I can't completely always explain to myself why the the answer I chose is the right answer, even if it is right. Sometimes I just know but I can't explain..

2-On the other hand, sometimes I read a question in reviewing over it, and I realize so instantaneously what the right the answer is and it would be a question I missed. I assume that is probably from reading too quickly and not paying enough attention to detaill.

3-This being probably the most significant, I can almost always narrow it down to two answer choices(like most people), but then I fail to understand how they distinguish from each other or how one is a better answer than the other. I realize there is only one right answer so it makes for a tough situation when I think the answer is A for reasons X but could also be wrong for reason Y then for answer choice D, I think it can be right for reason X but could also be wrong for reason Y. Then when I realize I got it wrong, I tell myself oh ok then it was wrong because of the reason I thought... But I didn't choose it as an answer...?

I hope that my abstract hypothetical model made sense, and I don't think you can really offer me a definite answer but I appreciate your opinion none the less.

Thank you, have a nice night

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 pm

When Ive narrowed down to 2 answer choices, a trick Ive learned lately and that seems to be working for me is to look for the modifier words in the stimulus and in the answer choice. Often one little word will be the difference between right and wrong. For instance if the stimulus says something is broad and uses words like "some" and "many", an answer choice that contains words like "most", "all", "none", "never", etc etc is usually wrong. Keep the scope in mind.

When the correct answer choice pops out at you when reviewing, its usually because you rushed through the question and didnt read correctly. Slow down a bit. I know the test is timed, but dont rush through it. One thing Ive noticed with the most recent tests is that questions 1-15 are no longer "gimmees". There are some tough ones in there and you have to keep an eye out.

Just keep working and understand and learn from your mistakes.

Good luck!

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

haha yeah totally. you remember the rotten apple question? infected or infested or inspected. it was liek question 7. talk about a roadblock

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”