"Which most strongly supports" Q-Type?

"Which most strongly supports" Q-Type?

Postby yeahyeah2121 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Q-stem: "Which of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?"

Is this an inference question? Throughout my prep I've attacked these types that way, but lately when I go to the answer choices on these types of questions I've been getting really confused between the two "good looking" choices because none of the choices seem to HAVE to follow from the stimulus. For instance, one question like this I did recently was about re-writing history text books, and the correct answer choice shifted scope to talk about "interpreting" historical material. I personally don't equate writing and interpreting, so yeah, I don't see how that answer choice would HAVE to follow as is demanded by an inference question. Can someone please explain what they're looking for on these type of questions? Thanks!

Re: "Which most strongly supports" Q-Type?

Postby dakatz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes, this is an inference or "must be true" question. But there is a trick in the wording that seems to get people all too often. The question might as well be phrased "Which of the following is supported by the information above?". In fact, this is how they used to phrase must be true questions, because it made it clear that only one answer is in any way supported. They added "most strongly" to subconsciously fool people into thinking that one answer might be right, but another answer could be MORE right. This is not the case for any LSAT question. There is only one right answer and every other answer is WRONG, even if its just for a small reason. Sorry if this doesn't at all apply to you and never get tripped up on this. Just figured I'd give this PSA while on the topic of inference/must-be-true questions.

Re: "Which most strongly supports" Q-Type?

Postby cubswin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:15 pm

It's an inference question, but that is not the same thing as a Must Be True question. This is one place where the LRB isn't perfect. A "most strongly supported" answer can, but doesn't have to, have the absolutely indisputable quality that a Must Be True answer will have.

There's a good post on LSAT Blog about this: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/most-strongly-supported-logical.html

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”