someone please explain this Zendu radar game to me...(PT15)

xqhp82

someone please explain this Zendu radar game to me...(PT15)

Postby xqhp82 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:16 am

So I have attempted to do this game for the fourth time in 3 months and I STILL don't get it....even though I got all the answers correct I am not sure how the diagram works. I know this kind of games involving venn diagrams don't come up often but this is bugging me more than any other games I have done.

In the LGB it uses a linear setup instead of a venn diagram, but it doesn't show the intersection between S and T, and R and T. I did all the questions with the assumption that they don't intersect each other, but how is that possible when the setup specifically says part of them overlap each other?

looking at a specific question, e.g. #8, it says K is within exactly 2 of the 4 areas. The bible says K must be in areas R and T because if K is in area U, that would make K fall within 3 areas. But how does it make sense if U is within R and T, but when K is in areas R and T it isn't in area U as well?

i don't understand why it is the case that when a plane can't be in area R, it cannot be in area U, but when it is in area R, it can be in area R only without being also in area U and part of area T. I don't know if you guys understand what I'm saying, I'm super confused myself so sorry about my messed up train of thought..i'd appreciate any help on this game.

randomwalk

Re: someone please explain this Zendu radar game to me...(PT15)

Postby randomwalk » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:24 am

Hopefully I'm getting you right. If I'm understanding the question correctly, U is a subset of R (and a subset of T). So if you're in U, you have to be in R (and T). But just because you're in R (or T), it doesn't mean you're in U. It feels like I'm just repeating what you already know, but does this make sense?

In other words, area R encompasses U and is bigger than U. Since R encompasses U, whenever you're in U, you're in R. But since R is bigger than U, you can be in R without being in U. Working this from memory but I think that's how it works.

edit: had something backwards

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 am

oh damn i finally knew what's wrong. I do understand what you meant as that's exactly how I drew my diagram, but I was stupid enough to assume that the spot where the plane is covers the whole area. Say, if J is in area S then the whole area S is occupied by J. Totally ignored the implication of the keyword "at noon".....

thanks anyway!

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Just think of it as a wacky venn diagram.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”