When should I start preparing for the LSAT?

When should I start preparing for the LSAT?

Postby lagirl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Last edited by lagirl on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Excellence = a Habit

Re: When should I start preparing for the LSAT?

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi lagirl. Kudos on asking the questions early. Others may be better informed on this than I am, but I would say that, unless for some reason you are able to devote substantial time to studying for the LSAT on a very regular basis from now until you take the test (presumably in 2012), now is way too early to start working on it. I think it's one of those things that you can get good at over a period of 2-6 months (6 months at the very most), but if you stop studying it for a while, your abilities will quickly decline. This has been my experience, at least. I also think your return on investment from studying will go way down after the first 4-6 months of regular/intensive study.

If you're really curious as to what it's all about, go ahead and take a practice test now, or flip through a review book (Powerscore Bibles are the best). I think it's way too early to think about getting a tutor, etc. Since you're a philosophy major, you probably have taken or will take at least one logic class... if not, consider going out of your way to take them as prep for the logic games section (and the others, to a small degree) of the LSAT. More than teaching you specific strategies that you can apply to LG, a logic course will give you a comfort level with symbols and stuff. Good luck!

Re: When should I start preparing for the LSAT?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:02 am

Four months before the test date.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”