My first preptest score dissapointing, should i freak out?

Deema

My first preptest score dissapointing, should i freak out?

Postby Deema » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:01 pm

I have just finished the Powerscore bibles: LR and LG, so I was excited about taking my first prep test and applying all that I've learned. My score was about 50, I am so dissapointed because I am trying to get a high score in the acctual LSAT - in December. Should I freak out?

I know that at first I will have a hard time with the lenght of the exam, and indeed after the first three sections I am ready to scream, which is seen in my performance-the number of answers wrong are far more in section 3 and 4 (which taken aside I am not doing bad at all). I am not freaking out about that. I am confident that I can build up my mental stamina.

I am worried about the LR section, because while games take me a while at this point, I feel confident that I can eventually reduce the time. So, what I am doing now is taking every question and identifying the question type. However, some of them I have never seen in my Powerscore bibles, such as the "role" kind of question. Anyone knows which book tackles this type of question, or did I completely miss it in the Powerscore?

If you are not too busy, I would appreciate some input, especially from those of you that have been studying for a while.

dakatz

Re: My first preptest score dissapointing, should i freak out?

Postby dakatz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:06 pm

You know what they say about Rome not being built in a day. Don't freak out. Believe it or not, almost all testtakers, save for a select few, struggle at first. This is usually due to both the time constraint and a general unfamiliarity with LSAT thought/logic. You will develop skills to overcome both very quickly with the requisite practice and dedication. So stay positive and let it motivate you. You now have a starting point, so each time you will improve as you learn more.

Deema

Postby Deema » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 pm

Thank you for this, as you can probably tell I had a harsh week in terms of LSAT.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 pm

I thought the score bottoms out around 120 or something? You will be putting in some work only giving yourself 2 months to go through practice tests. I think my first practice test was in the 150's, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:18 pm

role and evaluate the argument are in the LRB. Dont panic. It took me 2 - 3 read throughs( taking notes in a notebook as i went) of the LRB to feel confident in the question task, and how to tackle it. I woiuld suggest that you make flashcards and review them nightly. LR is learnable, but you need to do a lot of drills. If you can, take prep tests 11-22 and seperate the LR sections by individual question type, and do the questions as you read through the chapters. Do the first 5-6 or so untimed, then slowly work on speed, as long as you keep up the accuracy. For the ones you get wrong, or dont understand ( and got lucky) write out the premises and conclusions, and why you eliminater or kept the choice. You will start to see trends and hidden but key information for the question types. As you get more confident, begin to do full length sections, ( first untimed- using notes as necessary), then eventaually do timed sections. Rinse and repeat.

You can do it. It will take a lot of work and dedication ( schedule out 2-3 hours 6 days a week, with a day or 2 off every 3 weeks or so to recharge your mind) until test day. If you think you might need more time due to school and other commitments- the december exam may fall around finals week- check your syllabus), taking the test in June may be better. ( you wont be able to apply this year, but you will have PLENTY of time to get everything done, and have a social life for the rest of this semester, and for the first part of next). Use the month before your test date for prep tests. There are a lot of good study schedules out there for you to piggyback off of.

As for your issue with endurance, by practicing for 2 -3 hours at a time with no breaks, you will gain endurance. On test day, you will have to be able to concentrate for 3 timed sections in a row, then get a 10 minute break, to do 3 more sections ( 2 sections of the test, and an unscored writing sample- dont bother doing anything for that)

Make sure to practice all components of the test. Do 1 day of RC, 1 day of games, and 1 day of LR. You want to increase your accuracy and scores on all areas. Be sure to do at least 10 full length prep tests as benchmarks for your progress. Dont worry if you score decreases or stays the same for the first 3 tests or so... this is very common. Not everyone can score a 170( the top 90 percentie on the lsat is a 165) or better, so dont get too discouraged with other peoples scores on this site. TLS offers a lot of good advice, but you can start to feel inadequate, especially if you are scoring low. A lot of people on this site started off low, but with effort and dedication, you might be able to score very well.

Good luck, and I hope this helps

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:23 pm

If you got 50 questions correct, then that should be a score of 145. As a cold diagnostic score, a 145 is fine, but you scored 145 after completing two PowerScore Bibles. Consider enrolling in a full length Powerscore course if available & affordable. If you cannot do that, then buy practice tests & reread both Bibles.

Deema

Postby Deema » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:41 pm

First of all, thanks all of you for your advice.

The funny thing is that this is the first prep test that I am counting, because I have previously taken one, but I am not counting it due the fact that it was after 8 hours of studying, and I was very tired...but I scored better in that one, 154. The LSAT experience is weired.

I am about to begin a course in a week or so, and I agree that it is going to help me a lot. In fact I have been taking a course on LG and that part is ok now.

Also, the idea of having a notebook is great, thanks.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Deema wrote:First of all, thanks all of you for your advice.

The funny thing is that this is the first prep test that I am counting, because I have previously taken one, but I am not counting it due the fact that it was after 8 hours of studying, and I was very tired...but I scored better in that one, 154. The LSAT experience is weired.

I am about to begin a course in a week or so, and I agree that it is going to help me a lot. In fact I have been taking a course on LG and that part is ok now.

Also, the idea of having a notebook is great, thanks.

it doesn't matter what you got on your first diag. test. the only question you should ask yourself is how much time per day (and when during the day) will you be able to dedicate to the lsat. personally, i could not crack 170 while working full-time. depending on your deadline, certain life choices may need to be made.

EDIT: also take a course if you can afford to.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:53 am

just practice the methods for each question in each section before you do a lot of practice tests. if you're missing 50 questions after studying, you need more practice with the methods. after that, just do as many practice tests as you can.

i had a cold diagnostic of 146 and i'm scoring in the mid 160's consistently now (after almost 3 months of study) and i just hit 167 a few days ago. just keep working at it and you'll inevitably get there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”