LSAT Timing Issues

sapphires000

LSAT Timing Issues

Postby sapphires000 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:26 pm

I plan apply to law school next year and take the LSAT on 10/9/10 but I am having difficulty with timing. I am not sure if I am ready to take the exam because I take 2x time required to take a prep-test. My goal is to score around 170 and am currently scoring 168 on un-timed prep-tests. I do not want to take prep-courses because I understand the concepts and know tips for timing. I basically need to practice. Do you think it would be wise to take the test on 10/9 or later test dates? I appreciate any advice!

Kabuo

Re: LSAT Timing Issues

Postby Kabuo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:49 pm

If I'm reading this correctly (a big if considering my latest RC performance), then you are taking ~70 minutes per section and only scoring in the high 160s, with a goal of 170 on test day. If that's the case, you are nowhere near ready to take the Oct 9 test and score a 170.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:49 pm

The key question is how do you score RIGHT NOW when taking a recent PT you have never seen before timed like you have to do it on test day? The best way to get an indication of your current scoring range ability under test day conditions is to take a recent test you have never looked at before under strict timed conditions that simulate test day conditions as much as possible.

Scoring 168 when spending double the allotted time per section does not give a reliable indication of how you will likely score on test day under the time constraints.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 pm

I really, really, really don't think you're ready if you're taking twice the allotted amount of time and also only scoring in the 160's. Granted a 160's score is very high - but you should be able to score at least in the 170's with twice the amount of time.

Take a TIMED prep test under simulated conditions. See what you get. See if you're satisfied with scoring that (or several points lower) on test day. Then decide whether or not to show up.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:29 pm

If you're taking 70 min. to complete sections and only hitting 168, I can guarantee you will not hit 170 on the October test. You should have canceled but I think it is too late.

cornell

Postby cornell » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Realistically, there is almost no chance that you'll score anything near a 170 on the real thing, given what you've said. I suggest you take it in Dec.

sapphires000

Postby sapphires000 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks for the advice! I have lost a lot of time studying because of external factors. As a result I have not been able to focus on timing.

I have decided not to take the exam in October because I know that I am not ready. My friend recommends that I take the exam next October because I will have 2-3 months to study and not worry about school. I am graduating in June and plan to take a year off. The schools that I am interested in accept applications in Sept/deadline in Feb. What test dates do you recommend? Thanks-again!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”