Should I wait until December?

Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Should I wait until December?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:06 pm

I have taken a great number of practice tests, both proctored and at home, and the highest I've gotten is a 170. My last one was on Saturday (proctored) and I got a 168. Im a serious splitter, so getting my apps in early is important (as is a high LSAT score), but I am really hoping for a 170+ on the 9th. Should I take it and retake if necessary, wait until December and get a few more months of study, or just take it in October and go with what I get?

Im hoping that my indecision is really just a product of my nerves about the test and not my inner voice telling me to wait.

BTW, I have an LSAC fee waiver, so LSAT costs in not an issue.


Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Should I wait until December?

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm

How hard/focused has your studying been? LSAT is learnable and I truly believe most people can do well with different amounts of effort but there must be some sort of wall?

Either way as a splitter I suggest you take Oct and at least see how you do, if you hit 168/169, that might be enough. If you end up with a 166 and truly believe you can hit 170/171 in Dec and are willing to pay sticker at wherever that higher ranked acceptance might be then re-take in dec.

Good luck.

Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Should I wait until December?

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:15 pm

i agree w/ JJDancer in that the most relevant question is "how hard/focused has your studying been?"

if you've committed serious effort and time to your study, which it sounds like you have, take October, rock the LSAT, apply.

i do believe this admissions game is definitely first mover advantage; so earlier application makes a significant difference.

subsequently, if you decide to take December, think there is substantial opportunity cost, think of all the additional studying you will need to maintain.

conclusion: take the October, do well, apply. best wishes.

Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I wait until December?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:18 pm

As an African American female, any score within a few points of a 170 on the LSAT is almost certain to open up a lot of doors of opportunity to Top 14 law schools, therefore you should take the October LSAT, in my opinion.

Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Should I wait until December?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm just going to see what October brings. Im going to study hard for this last week and see if I can tweak a few things at the last minute. If I can get my timing on games down even minute or two I should pick up 2-3 points.

Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: Should I wait until December?

Postby snodell » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:12 pm

i have a similar question: so far my highest score is also my target score (172) but i only hit it on 2/10 practice tests. the others were all 160+. should i take it in october and then re-take in december if i don't hit my target, or should i just wait until december? i will be applying next year.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], clueless801, midwestkid06, OhMyLaw and 22 guests