Wild inconsistency on LG

minnbills

Wild inconsistency on LG

Postby minnbills » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:16 pm

So I'm preparting for the OCT LSAT, so far things have been going well. A typical PT comes in at 164-168, with a few outliers at 169-170. I've achieved a good level of consistency in LR/RC, I typically score -2 to -5 per section, with rare exception.

The LG's on the other hand, vary considerably. It's either feast or famine. Sometimes i'll get -0, other times -15. The more recent tests I've taken (29-38) I did pretty well on. I've started taking some older tests though (mid 1990's) and things have gotten really dicey for me.

When I review, with rare exception the missed questions will seem like stupid mistakes. That is, I'll recognize immediately what I did wrong.

Obviously, the test is right around the corner so there's not much I can do. I'm also pressed with school and don't have much time to poor into things- maybe 1-2 hours per weekday. I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this kind of inconsistency. I should also add that I don't warm up before I take the PT's, which might have somthing to do wth it.

Any advice, words of encouragement or constructive criticism is welcome. Also, if anyone's experiened this at all please comment.

Thanks, good luck to those taking the OCT LSAT as well.

Sandro

Re: Wild inconsistency on LG

Postby Sandro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:20 pm

20-30s are much harder than 40s and 50s. Pickup a 50s LG (besides dinosaurs, lol) and you will be amazed at how much easier they are.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Sandro777 wrote:20-30s are much harder than 40s and 50s. Pickup a 50s LG (besides dinosaurs, lol) and you will be amazed at how much easier they are.

I haven't taken any in that later range and from what I read on these boards I would have assumed them to be more difficult. If true that's certainly encouraging though, thanks. I have heard that they're more standardized, as in more linear/grouping and hybrids between the two, as opposed to other game types.

Surprised people don't really want to weigh in on this...

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:25 pm

I've had the same experience. LG killed me on both of my LSAT's, and I'd PT'd -0 on LG several times before the first one, between the first and second, and now several times again as I prepare for my third attempt in October. I don't know what it is, but when I PT sometimes I'll get through one or two games fine, then get completely stuck on the other one or two, and end up with -7 to -15. Sometimes I'll breeze through and ace it. At this point I've decided that it all depends on my mindset going in, whether I feel flustered or distracted, in combination with the particular games. I'm just going to go in and hope it's a good LG day and not a bad one.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:29 pm

champ33 wrote:I've had the same experience. LG killed me on both of my LSAT's, and I'd PT'd -0 on LG several times before the first one, between the first and second, and now several times again as I prepare for my third attempt in October. I don't know what it is, but when I PT sometimes I'll get through one or two games fine, then get completely stuck on the other one or two, and end up with -7 to -15. Sometimes I'll breeze through and ace it. At this point I've decided that it all depends on my mindset going in, whether I feel flustered or distracted, in combination with the particular games. I'm just going to go in and hope it's a good LG day and not a bad one.

Yeah that just sounds like a mindset issue. My trend is more troublesome I think, I'll drop 2-4 on each game (when I bomb the section) and end up with -15 or whatever. Other times it will be a breeze and I'll get -0 or -1.

Also, because I've been so consistent on the other sections, it seems like LG will end up being the biggest factor in how my test day goes.

Frustrating to say the least.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:53 am

The ones in the 50's are much more straightforward, however consistency issues (I had the same problem in the beginning) are fixed with lots of timed practice. Are you doing at least one test section a day? Do you feel (more) nervous as you're going through the sections where you miss 15? That was definitely one of my issues.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:04 pm

I think they have gotten more predictable lately, but every now and then there's that random super hard hybrid. Usually they accompany this with an easier RC or LR so no big deal, it all works out. At least it's a step up from the old zig-zag line games and the circle tables in the 1-20 PT's.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:28 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:The ones in the 50's are much more straightforward, however consistency issues (I had the same problem in the beginning) are fixed with lots of timed practice. Are you doing at least one test section a day? Do you feel (more) nervous as you're going through the sections where you miss 15? That was definitely one of my issues.

I've been studying since April. If averaged out I've probably taken one LG section every third day (counting review etc.)

Today I took preptest 22 and scored a -3 on the LG. Not outstanding but nothing to cry about either. I think it has a lot to do with confidence and warming up. Also, I'm much much better at more straightforward linear and grouping games.

I think when there's a stranger game thrown it, I screw it up and take up too much time; so it kinda snowballs. I think on test day, if given a weird game like that I might just skip it and return after the other games are complete.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:56 pm

You are describing my problem.

I started studying August for the Oct 9th test. I spent the first month doing LR and got my score down to a -1 -2 consistently. I then did the LGB and had no problem with those games (I did skip the last two chapters). I started taking timed PT's Sept 10 and it was quite a shock. If the first section was a G section I would freeze up! Sometimes I would get all 4 no problem. Sometimes I wouldn't get the first one. I couldn't stand missing -15 on just that one section so I just stopped taking PT's and started focusing on Games. I went through LGB twice and now I'm just doing games over and over all day long.

I think my problem is that I'm paranoid about after failing the first time I tried to do the section timed. Whenever I do a game untimed, I can do any game within 10 minutes; some I can even finish in 4-5 minutes. However, when it's a timed PT, it's a COMPLETELY different story. I start freaking out about the time and if I get caught up a little or miss one small point, I freeze completely and bomb the whole section. I think if something like that happens on the test, I will just skip the whole game and do 3/4. I am hoping to start out with a LR and finish with the G section so I won't be messed up for the rest of the time if I don't do well on the first section.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:04 am

do the last 2 chapters in the bible. Keep practicing as many games as you can. At first i hated the last 2 chapters, but now, i find them to be a lot of fun. on test day, do a game that you know you can do well to boost confidence... Tell yourself its just a prep test, or the experimental section ( you may end up with 2 lg sections), keep your confidence high, and you will be fine

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:55 am

I would echo those who have advised you to pick your battles on LG. Try taking a practice test where you skim all four games before you begin and choose which one to start with. Doing well on 2-3 of the games will give you the confidence you need going into the harder one/s - plus you won't end up wasting as much time, since you'll have picked the low-hanging fruit already. I wouldn't wait until test day to give that strategy a whirl; you should practice efficiently evaluating the games.

I myself had a somewhat similar problem when I was studying for the LSAT last year. I don't think i was ever getting -0 on an Lg section (it was my hardest part of the test), but I would range from -3 to -11 or so. The day of the test i got -3. I do think this was luck in large part (Sept. 2009 LGs were not that hard), but at any rate, you should know that it can be done. Good luck.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 am

minnbills wrote:The LG's on the other hand, vary considerably. It's either feast or famine. Sometimes i'll get -0, other times -15. The more recent tests I've taken (29-38) I did pretty well on. I've started taking some older tests though (mid 1990's) and things have gotten really dicey for me.

minnbills wrote:I haven't taken any in that later range and from what I read on these boards I would have assumed them to be more difficult

I gather that the most current PT you've taken has been 38? If you walk in Oct. 9th without having seen a PT from the last few years (50s and up), then you are going to be in for a rude awakening. You should head over to Cambridge LSAT and purchase a couple of the more recent tests. Even if you don't have the time to complete a PT in one sitting, you still need to familiarize yourself with the newer LGs and RC. Best of luck.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:56 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
minnbills wrote:The LG's on the other hand, vary considerably. It's either feast or famine. Sometimes i'll get -0, other times -15. The more recent tests I've taken (29-38) I did pretty well on. I've started taking some older tests though (mid 1990's) and things have gotten really dicey for me.

minnbills wrote:I haven't taken any in that later range and from what I read on these boards I would have assumed them to be more difficult

I gather that the most current PT you've taken has been 38? If you walk in Oct. 9th without having seen a PT from the last few years (50s and up), then you are going to be in for a rude awakening. You should head over to Cambridge LSAT and purchase a couple of the more recent tests. Even if you don't have the time to complete a PT in one sitting, you still need to familiarize yourself with the newer LGs and RC. Best of luck.

There's really that big of a difference huh? I went out and got the Mcgraw-hill LG workbook (not exactly a stellar buy) to drill for the test. I also have about 6 PTS left out of the 20's book. I was planning on finishing those, reviewing the bibles and then downloading the June 2007 test off the LSAC website.

What specifically is different between the 30's and the newest ones? Are they just more difficult? For what it's worth I did very well on the last two chapters of the LGB.

Also, can you download PT's online?

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:02 pm

The Gentleman wrote:What specifically is different between the 30's and the newest ones? Are they just more difficult? For what it's worth I did very well on the last two chapters of the LGB.

Different people may have different opinions about this, but IMHO the games from 50 & up are on average more difficult. I see two reasons for this:
1) Newer tests feature more "hybrid" games. The LGB does an excellent job of preparing you for standard linear and grouping games. But newer games require a greater degree of flexibility. Things like conditional sequencing and multiple layers of grouping are not sufficiently discussed in the LGB, so it alone will not prepare you for these kinds of concepts.
2) The questions are more difficult and more time consuming on newer tests. You are likely to see questions that replace a condition or give a hypothetical for each answer choice.

But really the biggest change in the PTs 50 & up is the RC. It is SIGNIFICANTLY tougher. I generally miss 1 or 2 on the earlier RC sections, but miss 4 or 5 on the newer ones. (I add older RCs as experimental sections)

The Gentleman wrote:Also, can you download PT's online?

Yes. http://www.cambridgelsat.com/product/ls ... section/17 If I were you, I would purchase a few of the most recent exams (58, 59, 60) and focus on those this week.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:09 pm

eeh.. i think the RC has gotten easier. the only difference that i noticed is that you cant skim the passage, and note the structure, tone. you need to understand how the paragraphs work together, and what they are all about.

or it could be that ive done more rc sections by the 50s than in the beginning- and got my technique down pat

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”