PT 56 - LR 1, #14

kpuc

PT 56 - LR 1, #14

Postby kpuc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:13 pm

This is the question about confidence among business managers and entrepreneurs.

I first thought the answer was E, then changed it to B. I was thus surprised to find out that the answer was neither: D. Although I can see how the answer is D, I would appreciate a thorough explanation why it can't be any of the other answer choices.

Thanks!

PostHawk

Re: PT 56 - LR 1, #14

Postby PostHawk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Here's my explanation and hopefully it will help:

The conclusion is that if you're more overconfident you're more likely to start a business than if you're "less overconfident." So that's what we're trying to strengthen.

B. Says "At least some" so that could be 1 or that could be 100 of the entrepreneurs had determined what the odds were of being successful. So this doesn't strengthen the correlation between overconfidence and starting your own business.

E. This one tries to correlate their confidence with business acumen (or ability to make good judgements). Which means it's not in the scope of the argument.

The main thing with this problem is to focus on what the conclusion says and make sure you choose an answer choice that falls into the scope of the argument (strengthening the relationship between starting a business and overconfidence).

kpuc

Re: PT 56 - LR 1, #14

Postby kpuc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Got it. Thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”