son of a b

rumky

son of a b

Postby rumky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Okay, so I could really use some advice right now. I've been studying for the LSAT on and off for the past four months and consistently since late August. For the past ~10 PTs I've scored between 171-177 (172 average), and typically missing -2 LR/-5RC/-0LG. This was on random tests from 39-55. Yesterday I took PT 58 and scored 167 (-4LR/-9RC/-4LG.) I thought it was a fluke. Then today I got all pumped up to do well and took PT 52. Well, I missed -18 total. I was so depressed that I didn't even bother looking at the scaled score. I haven't missed that many questions--ever. So I'm basically panicing right now because I don't know why my score has dropped like this. I didn't feel like it was a particularly hard test, but I bombed all the sections.

I don't know what to do. I REALLY want to take the test on the 9th, but now I'm terrified that I could bomb it. Does anyone have advice on what the hell might be happening or what I should do at this point? Thanks.

bk1

Re: son of a b

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Could be burnout. Plus you probably put extra pressure on yourself after getting the first bad PT.

rumky

Postby rumky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks. So do you think I should take time off? I'm afraid to this close to the end, but obviously if it is burnout I won't be doing myself any favors by plugging away.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:06 pm

rumky wrote:Thanks. So do you think I should take time off? I'm afraid to this close to the end, but obviously if it is burnout I won't be doing myself any favors by plugging away.

It really depends on the person but I would at least take a couple days off. It is most likely burnout and forcing PT's on yourself for the next couple of days would hurt you and be counterproductive.

Most people do take a few days off as the exam date gets closer, heck some people take the few days to week off before the test.

rumky

Postby rumky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:10 pm

By taking time off do you recommend not doing any LSAT stuff, or just skipping PTs but still drilling/reviewing, etc.?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:13 pm

rumky wrote:By taking time off do you recommend not doing any LSAT stuff, or just skipping PTs but still drilling/reviewing, etc.?

I would say skipping LSAT for a couple days altogether, the main thing being to relax yourself and not be too stressed out over it. I PT'ed pretty much until test day, my last 2 PT's showed obvious burnout (172/171 when my last 30 scores had been in the 175-180 range) and I ended up with a 173.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Well it's been said many times, but the tests in the 50's are generally tougher than their earlier counterparts. Especially on RC and LG. When you combine that with potential LSAT burnout and some unlucky misses, then you have a recipe for all time low scores.

But OP, we've all had bad days and even bad streaks. The first time I bombed a PT, I punched a wall and damn near broke my hand. (not very gentleman-like at all lol) Trust me, you will bounce back.

rumky

Postby rumky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll just take a few days off and take it from there. Although it may be that the PTs in the 50s are harder than the rest, I am usually a LG dominatrix and I missed SIX LGs today. I've never had a problem with LGs before, not even the old timey LGs from the earliest tests. I also did fine on PT 50 and 55, which I took at the beginning of September.

hulahoop

Postby hulahoop » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:31 pm

I started a thread with a similiar issue last week. Except, I had one really bad score, freaked out, did well, got lazy again, did poorly, etc - yoyo effect basically. At this point I have had a few near-perfect scores, so I know I am capable of scoring well. I am taking time off, not planning to do anymore PTs before the test (maybe one if I find the time), but I am trying to do at least one section a day just to keep sharp. IMO, the way scoring badly messes with my mind is too big a risk, at least I can stay confident until the big day when I can consistently do well on each section.

Remember, the only score that counts is the real one. My problem was mainly not focusing, so I am counting on the adrenaline at the actual test to make me take it seriuosly.

Good luck!

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:48 pm

The Gentleman wrote:But OP, we've all had bad days and even bad streaks. The first time I bombed a PT, I punched a wall and damn near broke my hand. (not very gentleman-like at all lol) Trust me, you will bounce back.

i now have to fix 2 inch by 3 inch depression in the wall with spackle and paint once i'm done with the lsat as well. Every time I look at it, I regret doing it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have to hold myself back at the last second from punching the adjacent areas at least a handful of times in the past few weeks.

i think retaking the test 3 times and slaving over it for the better part of the past year might cause that.

rumky

Postby rumky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks, hulahoop. I'll check out your thread as well. I think we're in the same boat when it comes to letting a poor score throw off the next test. Sounds like you've got a good plan. Good luck to you, too!

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:25 pm

If you decide to take 1-2 full days off of LSAT then the 3rd day take another PT from the 50s and just do 1LG and 1RC section back to back timed and see how it goes.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Yah you're definitely not alone in this. I was PTing in my normal range and all of a sudden experienced a 5 point drop out of nowhere. I did the same thing as you, chalked it up as a fluke and got all pumped up to do the next one. Ended up doing even worse... I was so demoralized I didn't PT for the next two days (though my guilt kept getting the better of me and I had to do a section or two during those days). I told myself to calm the f*ck down, you've been PT'ing fine and two weeks before is not the time to melt down. Gathered myself, and my next two PT's have been 1 and 2 points over my average.

On the note of that yoyo effect, that's also another concern of mine. People talk about taking 3-4 days off until test day and that scares the hell out of me. I feel like LSAT skills are quickly lost without repetition, especially for those of us that aren't finishing their timed sections with extra time left over. I'm definitely feeling a little burnout though but at this point I feel like I can't afford to stop PT'ing since test day is so close. I'm going to take the day before off for sure, I just don't know if it's a smart idea to COMPLETELY purge myself of LSAT that day or not. I feel like I'll succumb and eventually do an LR or LG section that day (or both).

Yah... for the sake of my sanity this thing needs to be over!

rumky

Postby rumky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I was reviewing my mistakes just now and I think it must be burnout. On the second LR section, I misbubbled two and apparently forgot to bubble the answer to the last question even though I had about four minutes remaining. So I just sat there like a dumbass for the four minutes, totally oblivious to the fact that I hadn't bubbled question 25. Ugh.

JJDancer wrote:If you decide to take 1-2 full days off of LSAT then the 3rd day take another PT from the 50s and just do 1LG and 1RC section back to back timed and see how it goes.

You mean that on the 3rd day I should skip the LR sections, right? Sorry, my brain's obviously not working today!

rumky

Postby rumky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:49 pm

almostthereee wrote:Yah you're definitely not alone in this. I was PTing in my normal range and all of a sudden experienced a 5 point drop out of nowhere. I did the same thing as you, chalked it up as a fluke and got all pumped up to do the next one. Ended up doing even worse... I was so demoralized I didn't PT for the next two days (though my guilt kept getting the better of me and I had to do a section or two during those days). I told myself to calm the f*ck down, you've been PT'ing fine and two weeks before is not the time to melt down. Gathered myself, and my next two PT's have been 1 and 2 points over my average.

Alright, this gives me some hope! I think you're right about needing to calm down. I basically had a fit yesterday after I saw how poorly I did. I didn't resort to violence, but there was a lot of hyperbole/histrionics going on. I need to take a few days and pull myself together. Hopefully I'll see the same rebound you did.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:54 pm

rumky wrote:Okay, so I could really use some advice right now. I've been studying for the LSAT on and off for the past four months and consistently since late August. For the past ~10 PTs I've scored between 171-177 (172 average), and typically missing -2 LR/-5RC/-0LG. This was on random tests from 39-55. Yesterday I took PT 58 and scored 167 (-4LR/-9RC/-4LG.) I thought it was a fluke. Then today I got all pumped up to do well and took PT 52. Well, I missed -18 total. I was so depressed that I didn't even bother looking at the scaled score. I haven't missed that many questions--ever. So I'm basically panicing right now because I don't know why my score has dropped like this. I didn't feel like it was a particularly hard test, but I bombed all the sections.

I don't know what to do. I REALLY want to take the test on the 9th, but now I'm terrified that I could bomb it. Does anyone have advice on what the hell might be happening or what I should do at this point? Thanks.

There's a good chance that panic may be the cause instead of the effect.

rumky

Postby rumky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:21 pm

3|ink wrote: There's a good chance that panic may be the cause instead of the effect.

Haha. Yes, I initially thought that. But LG is the section that took the biggest hit, and I was pretty cocky during that section. Especially yesterday. I remember thinking, "nailed it!" after I took that section, only to score it and realize that I was grossly mistaken.

Oddly enough, my highest scores have come when I'm freaked out going into the test. The day I scored a 177, my heart was beating quickly from nervousness. But who knows, maybe as the date is approaching my panic is manifesting itself in new ways.

Thank god for this forum. None of my friends understand the importance of this test or the mind-fuck element, so whenever I try to get their advice they're like, "I'm sure you'll do fine."

hulahoop

Postby hulahoop » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:35 pm

this thread also makes me feel better :)

I pretty much have myself convinced at this point that all the nerves and adrenaline will give me a surge of mental power on test day. Hopefully it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Until then, small bits of PTs to ensure I am not completely losing my touch is all I am aiming for.

So nice to know Im not the only one losing my mind when I suddenly need it most.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:08 pm

rumky wrote:Okay, so I could really use some advice right now. I've been studying for the LSAT on and off for the past four months and consistently since late August. For the past ~10 PTs I've scored between 171-177 (172 average), and typically missing -2 LR/-5RC/-0LG. This was on random tests from 39-55. Yesterday I took PT 58 and scored 167 (-4LR/-9RC/-4LG.) I thought it was a fluke. Then today I got all pumped up to do well and took PT 52. Well, I missed -18 total. I was so depressed that I didn't even bother looking at the scaled score. I haven't missed that many questions--ever. So I'm basically panicing right now because I don't know why my score has dropped like this. I didn't feel like it was a particularly hard test, but I bombed all the sections.

Lol...my experience is almost identical to yours. This is what worked for me: before I take a PT do 2 logic games that are easy, the first 10 lr questions from a section I've already done, and a RC passage that I previously aced. I then wait 45 min...and then I take the PT.

This does two things: (1) Warms up my brain so that I will score at my potential & (2) i'll get all of them correct super fast, this gives me a lot of "positive momentum" going into the PT. Your scores will be more consistent that way.

Also, never let more than two days go by without doing at least one timed rc section, one timed lr section, and 1 timed lg section. If you skip more than 2 days your score will dip on that section.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:04 pm

rumky wrote:Thank god for this forum. None of my friends understand the importance of this test or the mind-fuck element, so whenever I try to get their advice they're like, "I'm sure you'll do fine."

...I hate when people tell me "im sure you'll do fine"...I know theyre trying to be nice, but no one understands unless they are in the same boat.

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:18 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:

Lol...my experience is almost identical to yours. This is what worked for me: before I take a PT do 2 logic games that are easy, the first 10 lr questions from a section I've already done, and a RC passage that I previously aced. I then wait 45 min...and then I take the PT.

This does two things: (1) Warms up my brain so that I will score at my potential & (2) i'll get all of them correct super fast, this gives me a lot of "positive momentum" going into the PT. Your scores will be more consistent that way.

Also, never let more than two days go by without doing at least one timed rc section, one timed lr section, and 1 timed lg section. If you skip more than 2 days your score will dip on that section.

I was scoring 170-173 for 5-10 consecutive practice tests. Hit PT 51 and dipped down to 166-7 for two consecutive tests.

I took a couple days off and started up again. 171-173 since and on more recent PT's. For whatever reason warming up has helped considerably. I do 2-3 new games, 5-10 LR questions, and 1 passage of RC. I plan on doing this the morning before the test as well. I'm not sure why but my last section seems to always be my strongest in practice tests (and I take literally 0 breaks. Stopwatch hits 35 minutes, next section reset go, for each section no breaks for bubbling or grading sections).

rumky

Postby rumky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:41 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:

I like this. I'm going to give this a shot before I do my next timed PT on Friday.

Unshake, my last section is usually my strongest also. Especially for LR. An experimental LR at the beginning of the test would be the perfect test for me!

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:33 pm

rumky wrote:
JJDancer wrote:If you decide to take 1-2 full days off of LSAT then the 3rd day take another PT from the 50s and just do 1LG and 1RC section back to back timed and see how it goes.

You mean that on the 3rd day I should skip the LR sections, right? Sorry, my brain's obviously not working today!

Yes i meant on the third day just do those 2 sections (RC and LG) from a PT (no LR). You can spend the days in between reviewing but not doing any full PTs.

rumky

Postby rumky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Sounds good, thanks. I'm taking today off completely (although just from studying, not from obsessing, clearly.) Tomorrow I'll do a few sections, but nothing too hardcore. Even just relaxing last night with a few glasses of wine while watching Strangers with Candy helped me feel less apocalyptic about the whole thing. God, when did I get so pathetic? LSAT, what have you done to me???

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”