Thoughts of suicide during studying for LSAT?

3|ink

Re: Thoughts of suicide during studying for LSAT?

Postby 3|ink » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:45 pm

It's just a test dude. You may have other issues that are causing these thoughts.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:47 pm

ITT: We learn that the only thing less helpful than asking TLSers for legal counsel is asking TLSers for psychiatric counsel.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Just to reiterate what others have said: the LSAT in the grand scheme of the legal game is at the very, very bottom of stressor totem pole. Seriously. 1L finals are exponentially more stressful than the LSAT. EIW is exponentially more stressful than 1L finals. I can only imagine (I'm a 2L) that getting a permanent offer at the end of this summer will be exponentially more stressful than getting an SA offer was last month and that the Bar exam will be Jupiter to the LSAT's Pluto.

If you can't cut it now -- either learn to adapt quick or gtfo.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 pm

testmachine45 wrote:Not a depressive at all. Is this normal?

No. Study harder.

PostHawk

Postby PostHawk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 am

sundance95 wrote:ITT: We learn that the only thing less helpful than asking TLSers for legal counsel is asking TLSers for psychiatric counsel.

+1000

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 am

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
dresden doll wrote:That your life is apparently so rosy that a standardized exam would cause you to consider suicide fills me with contempt. Buy a Powerscore book and move along, you coddled, entitled creature. And try to pick up some perspective, if at all possible.

Preach.

CHURCH!!!!

j/k. I just about shoved a carpenter's awl through my skull halfway through the Powerscore books. I think I'm prolly going to bonfire these damn books and tests when I'm done with the LSAT.

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 am

I study with weapons near. Oh, wait, I live in the hood.

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Marionberry wrote:The bottom line is that anyone who doesn't have formal training in dealing with people in crisis should not be passing any judgement or giving any advice, beyond to seek qualified help. To do so is irresponsible and dangerous.

+1

dooterdude11 wrote: Dresden= MONUMENTAL douche.

+1

Gl OP, and remember: don't let the LSAT determine your self-worth, you're so much more than that.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:08 pm

dresden doll wrote:
nematoad wrote:
Ah but you said it yourself. It's all about perspective. You may just be a stronger person than most. But you don't have to go through a civil war to suffer from mindnumbing depression. If one dropped a $5 pizza they may feel like its the end of the world. To most that's an illegitimate reason (lol myself included). However, it doesn't negate the fact that they still feel like its the end of the world.

Not every irrational feeling deserves validation, though.

Of course I don't think people need to suffer through civil war to experience mind numbing depression. That said, I see exactly no reason not to give a verbal smackdown to those who experience it over dropping a $5 pizza. Sympathy, however well meant, only enables them.

Where are these $5 pizzas? I mean what is this a little personal pan pizza, do they even sell those anymore?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Unitas wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
nematoad wrote:
Ah but you said it yourself. It's all about perspective. You may just be a stronger person than most. But you don't have to go through a civil war to suffer from mindnumbing depression. If one dropped a $5 pizza they may feel like its the end of the world. To most that's an illegitimate reason (lol myself included). However, it doesn't negate the fact that they still feel like its the end of the world.

Not every irrational feeling deserves validation, though.

Of course I don't think people need to suffer through civil war to experience mind numbing depression. That said, I see exactly no reason not to give a verbal smackdown to those who experience it over dropping a $5 pizza. Sympathy, however well meant, only enables them.

Where are these $5 pizzas? I mean what is this a little personal pan pizza, do they even sell those anymore?

Dominos, medium pizzas for 5 dollars.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:52 pm

OP go get help. If you're thinking about suicide, stop studying and go get help. its just a test, nothing more nothing less. If the lsat makes you think dark thoughts, you need to learn how to cope with the stresses of law school.

as for dominoes... are they any good? ( the ones near me are so greasy, you have to put a bag under the box to keep grease off your car seat, or table- so i stay away from dominoes.....

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 pm

northwood wrote:OP go get help. If you're thinking about suicide, stop studying and go get help. its just a test, nothing more nothing less. If the lsat makes you think dark thoughts, you need to learn how to cope with the stresses of law school.

as for dominoes... are they any good? ( the ones near me are so greasy, you have to put a bag under the box to keep grease off your car seat, or table- so i stay away from dominoes.....

That sounds disgusting. I think since they did the new sauce/crust it's ok. Not terrible but nothing great. But i've never had that grease issue.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 pm

yea.. thats why I stay away from dominoes, but now im hungry and pizza does sound good.....

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Suicidal thoughts are NO joke. I hope the OP isn't seriously considering this. I've heard of too many instances in which someone playfully commented on killing themselves or simply mentioned it, people didn't take them seriously, and the individual commits suicide. It should always be taken seriously. OP, if you are serious, and this is LSAT related, you need to relax man. The LSAT is just a test that comes and goes. Whether you get a 180 or completely bomb the test, your LIFE, is more important than anything. This includes, money, power, clothes, jobs, and Modern Warfare. Value your life! Seriously.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:00 pm

GoGetIt wrote:Suicidal thoughts are NO joke. I hope the OP isn't seriously considering this. I've heard of too many instances in which someone playfully commented on killing themselves or simply mentioned it, people didn't take them seriously, and the individual commits suicide. It should always be taken seriously. OP, if you are serious, and this is LSAT related, you need to relax man. The LSAT is just a test that comes and goes. Whether you get a 180 or completely bomb the test, your LIFE, is more important than anything. This includes, money, power, clothes, jobs, and Modern Warfare. Value your life! Seriously.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:59 pm

northwood wrote:
GoGetIt wrote:Suicidal thoughts are NO joke. I hope the OP isn't seriously considering this. I've heard of too many instances in which someone playfully commented on killing themselves or simply mentioned it, people didn't take them seriously, and the individual commits suicide. It should always be taken seriously. OP, if you are serious, and this is LSAT related, you need to relax man. The LSAT is just a test that comes and goes. Whether you get a 180 or completely bomb the test, your LIFE, is more important than anything. This includes, money, power, clothes, jobs, and Modern Warfare. Value your life! Seriously.

LOL. Yeah, maybe a 179.

Godfather2010

Postby Godfather2010 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Brain chemistry and certain chemical levels play a large function in suicide.

If someone has those screwed up, the reasons for suicide could be very mundane and judging those reasons is highly irrelevant because they are secondary triggers.

OP, get some help if you're serious.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Op: Chill. Seriously. Maybe take some time out and talk to someone.

Also, think carefully about what you are doing. The LSAT and, to be honest, law school, were easy and generally stress-free compared to actually practicing law.. If this test has you looking for a rope and a sturdy beam, you might want to consider exploring less stressful career choices...

valhallajegkommer

Postby valhallajegkommer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:25 pm

I attempted to buy a gun when I realized there wasn't anything I was going to be able to do to get a decent score. I wasn't able to buy the gun because I couldn't show I had lived in the state for 6 months. It's a residency thing you know? Any way, I've heard a lot of people say that the LSAT is not the most stressful test in the entire law school process. I can't say it's not, but it would seem to me that if you feel your life depends on actually being accepted to a good law school, and you're willing to take your life if not accepted, then the LSAT would be by far the most stressful test. Let me ask you this: Have you ever been so hopeless you've held a large caliber gun to your head; one bullet in chamber, saftey off and slight pressure on the trigger. :D

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:39 pm

valhallajegkommer wrote:I attempted to buy a gun when I realized there wasn't anything I was going to be able to do to get a decent score. I wasn't able to buy the gun because I couldn't show I had lived in the state for 6 months. It's a residency thing you know? Any way, I've heard a lot of people say that the LSAT is not the most stressful test in the entire law school process. I can't say it's not, but it would seem to me that if you feel your life depends on actually being accepted to a good law school, and you're willing to take your life if not accepted, then the LSAT would be by far the most stressful test. Let me ask you this: Have you ever been so hopeless you've held a large caliber gun to your head; one bullet in chamber, saftey off and slight pressure on the trigger. :D

wtf is this.

OP, please seek help. The LSAT should not be triggering these sorts of thoughts, especially when you're not prone to depression/depressed in other aspects of your life. It's just a test.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:46 pm

PostHawk wrote:
dresden doll wrote:That your life is apparently so rosy that a standardized exam would cause you to consider suicide fills me with contempt. Buy a Powerscore book and move along, you coddled, entitled creature. And try to pick up some perspective, if at all possible.

Not everyone's as big of a heartless douche as this person.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:20 pm

dresden doll wrote:
dooterdude11 wrote:

If someone is legitimately considering suicide, that probably means their life isn't "so rosy," dipshit. And though your life must be so incredibly tough (what else could have stripped you of all class?) try not to vomit bitter, irrelevant hate in the direction of people who are suffering.

Right, because people never suffer as the result of nothing more than a profound lack of perspective.

I save my sympathy for those who deserve it. Given that I grew up in the midst of a bitter civil war, I think it's safe to say I've known of many who deserved it. OP isn't one of them, and if you cannot see why, you're about as devoid of a perspective as (s)he is.

Assuming there's no deeper story he hasn't told us all, his feelings are entirely unwarranted and anyone that attempts to legitimize them is doing him/her a profound disservice.

As a side note, good job on calling me classless while using the word 'dipshit' yourself in the same paragraph. Thank God you logged in to teach me what class is.

<3

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:17 pm

I see you receving e-mails,
From the school I love and i'm like,
Fuck you!
Oo, oo, ooo
I guess the LSAT in my pocket
Wasn't enough i'm like,
Fuck you!
And fuck that school too!
I said, if i scored higher, i'd be the one getting the e-mail,
Ha, now ain't that some shit? (ain't that some shit?)
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Fuck you!
Oo, oo, ooo

Yeah i'm sorry, i can't afford a prep course,
But that don't mean i can't get a good score.
I guess their score is an xbox and mine is more atari,
But the way you play your game ain't fair.

I picture the fool that falls in love with that school,
(oh shit it's a score digger)
Well
(just thought you should know)
Ooooooh
I've got some news for you
Yeah go run and tell your little school

(chorus)

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Godfather2010 wrote:Brain chemistry and certain chemical levels play a large function in suicide.

If someone has those screwed up, the reasons for suicide could be very mundane and judging those reasons is highly irrelevant because they are secondary triggers.

OP, get some help if you're serious.

And I just wanted to add that Dresden is a huge douche.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 pm

This thread is in an on-topic forum. I'm going to start giving very long timeouts to people who just jump in and go "x is a douche".

Also, joking about suicide is not funny. "valhallajegkommer" can go ponder his freakish sense of humor (and his thread necromancy) elsewhere.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”