Thoughts of suicide during studying for LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
maxm2764

Silver

Re: Thoughts of suicide during studying for LSAT?

Post by maxm2764 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Marionberry wrote:The bottom line is that anyone who doesn't have formal training in dealing with people in crisis should not be passing any judgement or giving any advice, beyond to seek qualified help. To do so is irresponsible and dangerous.
And doing so in such a douchey, stuck-up manner makes you look like a heartless bastard; i.e: Dresden.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:30 pm

dhrizek wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Not every irrational feeling deserves validation, though.
You can lecture people about their feelings after they step down off the ledge.
I don't necessarily disagree with that. That said, I doubt OP would be starting TLS threads if he were seriously standing on a proverbial ledge.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:30 pm

dresden doll wrote:
nematoad wrote: EDIT: dresden both my roommates are the products of a revolution. so i assume they understand your perspective but they also didn't take it out too hard on me when I'd cry over spilt milk.

i still live with my parents :oops:
The fact that you called whatever you cried over 'spilt milk' indicates that you had enough perspective to understand that it wasn't worth committing suicide over even when shedding tears. I wouldn't take it out too hard on you either.

Also, living with parents isn't necessarily a sign of immaturity.
Whoops i was unclear. Didnt mean to make it seem like I was saying living with my parents is a sign of immaturity (I find myself to be very mature, thank you very much). The spilt milk was when I was a weee lad.

But is it possible that one reason I was able to find that perspective (not committing suicide over spilt milk) was because my parents gently coaxed me in the direction of rationality rather than scolding me for crying over something so foolish. I do believe it is possible to find that perspective both ways, the former is just much more pleasant for all parties involved... and helps prevent the possibility of growing up with complexes.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:31 pm

maxm2764 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:The bottom line is that anyone who doesn't have formal training in dealing with people in crisis should not be passing any judgement or giving any advice, beyond to seek qualified help. To do so is irresponsible and dangerous.
And doing so in such a douchey, stuck-up manner makes you look like a heartless bastard; i.e: Dresden.
To be fair, it is pretty stupid to go looking for sympathy on an internet message board dedicated to an extremely competitive and cutthroat field.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:31 pm

gdane5 wrote:In this situation I believe a swift kick in the ass and a trip to the hood will set OP straight. Live in the ghetto for a few days and you'll experience things that will really want to make you kill yourself. :shock:
That's a very measured, reasonable and informed thing to say.

I really hope that OP was either not being serious in the first place, or figured out quickly that this is probably not the right place to go for help and support.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Marionberry wrote:
gdane5 wrote:In this situation I believe a swift kick in the ass and a trip to the hood will set OP straight. Live in the ghetto for a few days and you'll experience things that will really want to make you kill yourself. :shock:
That's a very measured, reasonable and informed thing to say.

I really hope that OP was either not being serious in the first place, or figured out quickly that this is probably not the right place to go for help and support.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:35 pm

dresden doll wrote:
dhrizek wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Not every irrational feeling deserves validation, though.
You can lecture people about their feelings after they step down off the ledge.
I don't necessarily disagree with that. That said, I doubt OP would be starting TLS threads if he were seriously standing on a proverbial ledge.
The point is, that no one on here besides OP knows whether or not he was being serious, so it's not something to take lightly. It's not inconceivable that someone would earnestly ask for help about that on here, since it seems to be in response to LSAT related frustration.

This thread has devolved into a clusterfuck of unhelpfulness and stupidity.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Marionberry wrote:
The point is, that no one on here besides OP knows whether or not he was being serious, so it's not something to take lightly. It's not inconceivable that someone would earnestly ask for help about that on here, since it seems to be in response to LSAT related frustration.

This thread has devolved into a clusterfuck of unhelpfulness and stupidity.
He seemingly wanted to know whether anyone else was suicidal over LSAT. In that sense, the thread was pretty helpful. He now knows his feelings are neither common nor particularly normal and can proceed accordingly.

Also, I sincerely doubt he'll be jumping off the ledge because some of us think he lacks perspective. If harsh TLS wisdom had that effect, 75 percent of TLS membership would have been practically eradicated by now.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Christ people, can we lay off the pointless pissing matches for two seconds?

OP, if are joking or being hyperbolic, then you're not funny. But if you are seriously depressed or suicidal, you need to step away from the LSAT and relax. Seek help if necessary, and reconsider the legal profession. Law school and practice are a lot more stressful and bleak than the LSAT, so things won't get better from here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Dresden= MONUMENTAL douche.

OP: hang in there, if your suicidal inclinations are serious. It is just a damn test and at the end of the day has no affect on the measure of a person. I echo what others have said about perhaps thinking hard whether law is the right direction for you. Good luck, cheer up.

/thread

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:Dresden= MONUMENTAL douche.
Did you use caps lock feature to add a dash of class to that post?

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:59 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Just to restate what seems to be the general consensus in the thread. Also, since you (s)trolled in here and bitterly attacked someone who had expressed potential suicidal inclinations, you can probably give up the "you're the one who lacks class" counter-punch. It's a little pathetic by now, as evidenced by the number of times you have been called a douche in this thread.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:03 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Just to restate what seems to be the general consensus in the thread. Also, since you (s)trolled in here and bitterly attacked someone who had expressed potential suicidal inclinations, you can probably give up the "you're the one who lacks class" counter-punch. It's a little pathetic by now, as evidenced by the number of times you have been called a douche in this thread.
I won't give it up for as long as it's valid (which it is - no amount of 'consensus' takes away from the fact that using words like 'dipshit' doesn't correlate with having class). Next time, think before throwing out hypocritical accusations. Let it come from someone that actually does write classy posts and chances are, you won't be the butt of 'you're the one who lacks class' counter-punch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:06 pm

How has a thread about suicide denigrated into a thread about who is classier?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:How has a thread about suicide denigrated into a thread about who is classier?
--ImageRemoved--

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:How has a thread about suicide denigrated into a thread about who is classier?
You've been around long enough to know better than to ask that question.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:11 pm

dresden doll wrote:Assuming there's no deeper story he hasn't told us all, his feelings are entirely unwarranted and anyone that attempts to legitimize them is doing him/her a profound disservice.
Also, no one did this. It is possible to believe OP's feelings are unwarranted and still sympathize with their emotions and be constructive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:11 pm

You all are a bunch of hyper sensitive fairies. I suggest you all go read Nietzsche and grow a pair. OP, who was contemplating suicide because of a hard test, has yet to respond. It's been done. On a lighter note...Malthus.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Assuming there's no deeper story he hasn't told us all, his feelings are entirely unwarranted and anyone that attempts to legitimize them is doing him/her a profound disservice.
Also, no one did this. It is possible to believe OP's feelings are unwarranted and still sympathize with their emotions and be constructive.
Telling him to get perspective is 1) constructive and 2) accurate. It gets at the very root of his issue.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:18 pm

moopness wrote:You all are a bunch of hyper sensitive fairies. I suggest you all go read Nietzsche and grow a pair. OP, who was contemplating suicide because of a hard test, has yet to respond. It's been done. On a lighter note...Malthus.
Psh. It's been done before and this guy webcammed it live.
Last edited by paratactical on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:19 pm

moopness wrote:You all are a bunch of hyper sensitive fairies.
I take exception to that. Otherwise, pretty much the TCR.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:21 pm

dresden doll wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Telling him to get perspective is 1) constructive and 2) accurate. It gets at the very root of his issue.
I agree, but I think your responses have lacked the appropriate level of tact for dealing with a serious issue like suicide. Is the OP suicidal? I kinda doubt it personally. But the thread still merits a certain degree of tact, not "My problems are bigger than your problems, suck it up you pussy" types of responses.

sayruss11

New

Post by sayruss11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:22 pm

dresden doll wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
and "get perspective" means exactly what? a little vague to be helpful advice

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I agree, but I think your responses have lacked the appropriate level of tact for dealing with a serious issue like suicide. Is the OP suicidal? I kinda doubt it personally. But the thread still merits a certain degree of tact, not "My problems are bigger than your problems, suck it up you pussy" types of responses.
+1. And this thread should've ended after Vanwinkle's post.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:40 pm

sayruss11 wrote: and "get perspective" means exactly what? a little vague to be helpful advice
Vague, really? It doesn't practically scream to be understood as 'there are far greater problems in life than that' or 'count yourself lucky if LSAT is the greatest of your issues' or 'a standardized exam is eons away from being worth you taking your life over it'? No?

Okay, I'll try harder.

Sometime in college, I noticed I'd been whining a lot about my life (mostly immigration induced types of stress that aren't worth recounting in detail). Mostly, I was complaining vociferously about things that would never have had me so nettled only a couple of years earlier. Having recognized that my skin had gotten thinner, I used some of the free time I had on my hands to take up volunteering and help out at an organization that provided housing for low income single mothers. After realizing that none of the clients -every one of whom was in a far tougher place in life than I was - ever complained half as much as I did, I was pretty ashamed of myself. I accordingly regained perspective, eliminated self-pity and moved along.

I'm not going to bother telling OP to go hang out with people less fortunate than himself. But I am going to bother telling him that he sorely lacks and needs perspective because it's completely true, no matter how much bullshit validation speak anyone chooses to spew ITT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”