Thoughts of suicide during studying for LSAT?

testmachine45

Thoughts of suicide during studying for LSAT?

Postby testmachine45 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Not a depressive at all. Is this normal?

dakatz

Re: Thoughts of suicide during studying for LSAT?

Postby dakatz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:41 pm

I would hope that those thoughts are not tied to your LSAT preparation. Right now, the whole thing is in your control and you have the power to do well on it. Take advantage of that and think of this time as the most positive and optimistic of them all. Regret and depression should be reserved to those who fail and those who cannot go back and change things. Why would you be depressed about something you haven't even had a chance to conquer yet? Either way, get some help if you feel it getting too serious and overwhelming. Thoughts of suicide are never "normal", and law school is a LOT more stressful than LSAT preparation.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

dakatz wrote:Thoughts of suicide are never "normal", and law school is a LOT more stressful than LSAT preparation.

Not only that, but the legal profession (and finding employment in it) is far more stressful than law school, especially right now. The suicide rate among lawyers is something like three times the normal population. If you are already experiencing these kind of problems, I strongly urge you to seek help and consider what options are available to you that (at least for the moment) don't involve the LSAT or law school, until you have a better handle on what affects you and how that should inform your future life choices.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:07 pm

That your life is apparently so rosy that a standardized exam would cause you to consider suicide fills me with contempt. Buy a Powerscore book and move along, you coddled, entitled creature. And try to pick up some perspective, if at all possible.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:08 pm

dresden doll wrote:That your life is apparently so rosy that a standardized exam would cause you to consider suicide fills me with contempt. Buy a Powerscore book and move along, you coddled, entitled creature. And try to pick up some perspective, if at all possible.

Preach.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:09 pm

testmachine45 wrote:Not a depressive at all. Is this normal?

No.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:That your life is apparently so rosy that a standardized exam would cause you to consider suicide fills me with contempt. Buy a Powerscore book and move along, you coddled, entitled creature. And try to pick up some perspective, if at all possible.

I <3 Dresden. This is exactly what I was going to say.

Sure maybe you dreamed about going to law school and all that, but its not all its made out to be. There are no guarantees of a high paying job, or a job for that matter, and even those that do find the high paying jobs arent necessarily rays of sunshine.

The LSAT isnt the end all be all. If you do well on it, great. Find the best school for you and do your best. If you do poorly on it, you do poorly on it. There are plenty of other options out there and Id argue that going to law school is a poor option.

Just take it easy. You'll be fine.

Good luck!

PostHawk

Postby PostHawk » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:30 pm

Not everyone's as big of a heartless douche as this person... If you are experiencing thoughts of suicide you should seek help. And as some stated earlier, law school and the law profession is much more stressful than the LSAT is so you might put some serious thought into whether or not a legal career is right for you. Do something you love and you'll be much happier than if you choose law for reasons such as money or prestige.

dooterdude11

Postby dooterdude11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm

If someone is legitimately considering suicide, that probably means their life isn't "so rosy," dipshit. And though your life must be so incredibly tough (what else could have stripped you of all class?) try not to vomit bitter, irrelevant hate in the direction of people who are suffering.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:

If someone is legitimately considering suicide, that probably means their life isn't "so rosy," dipshit. And though your life must be so incredibly tough (what else could have stripped you of all class?) try not to vomit bitter, irrelevant hate in the direction of people who are suffering.

Right, because people never suffer as the result of nothing more than a profound lack of perspective.

I save my sympathy for those who deserve it. Given that I grew up in the midst of a bitter civil war, I think it's safe to say I've known of many who deserved it. OP isn't one of them, and if you cannot see why, you're about as devoid of a perspective as (s)he is.

Assuming there's no deeper story he hasn't told us all, his feelings are entirely unwarranted and anyone that attempts to legitimize them is doing him/her a profound disservice.

As a side note, good job on calling me classless while using the word 'dipshit' yourself in the same paragraph. Thank God you logged in to teach me what class is.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:48 pm

If you're being serious and this isn't hyperbole, please contact someone who can help immediately. Even if it's just occasional ideation born out of frustration and pressure, it's not something to be taken lightly. If you're an undergrad, I'm sure that your school has resources available for people. If not an undergrad, I'm sure there are resources available in your area for people struggling with things like this. No one can do it for you, though, so if you want some relief you need to make the call. PM me if you need any help finding resources.

Contrary to what some of the less kind posts in this thread have indicated, there's nothing wrong with you for feeling like this. A lot of people find themselves in dark places for lots of different reasons, and LSAT prep/looking at law school could definitely be one of those.

I write this knowing that the OP may not have been posted in earnest, but it's not something to be taken lightly. Just because it's fun to be dickish to strangers on the internet, this is not a situation in which it's appropriate.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:52 pm

dresden doll wrote:
dooterdude11 wrote:

Right, because people never suffer as the result of nothing more than a profound lack of perspective.

I save my sympathy for those who deserve it. Given that I grew up in the midst of a bitter civil war, I think it's safe to say I've known of many who deserved it.

Ah but you said it yourself. It's all about perspective. You may just be a stronger person than most. But you don't have to go through a civil war to suffer from mindnumbing depression. If one dropped a $5 pizza they may feel like its the end of the world. To most that's an illegitimate reason (lol myself included). However, it doesn't negate the fact that they still feel like its the end of the world.

On a side not, it doesn't seem like OP is thinking of suicide too seriously. Right OP?

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:54 pm

nematoad wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
dooterdude11 wrote:

I save my sympathy for those who deserve it. Given that I grew up in the midst of a bitter civil war, I think it's safe to say I've known of many who deserved it.

Ah but you said it yourself. It's all about perspective. You may just be a stronger person than most. But you don't have to go through a civil war to suffer from mindnumbing depression. If one dropped a $5 pizza they may feel like its the end of the world. To most that's an illegitimate reason (lol myself included). However, it doesn't negate the fact that they still feel like its the end of the world.

On a side not, it doesn't seem like OP is thinking of suicide too seriously. Right OP?

This is where putting things into perspective comes to play. Sure, dropping your pizza can suck because maybe you were really looking forward to eating, etc etc, but one has to realize that "hey, there are much worse things out there. Thank god I even have this pizza". Its all about realizing that things could be worse.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 pm

nematoad wrote:

Not every irrational feeling deserves validation, though.

Of course I don't think people need to suffer through civil war to experience mind numbing depression. That said, I see exactly no reason not to give a verbal smackdown to those who experience it over dropping a $5 pizza. Sympathy, however well meant, only enables them.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Dresden you have no heart. You grew up in the "midst of a bitter civil war", that sounds terrible. But when did this become a contest? Everyone deals with shit in their lives in their own way.

OP, take Berry's advice and look for some help. Nothing, let alone the LSAT, is worth even contemplating ending your life. It's an important test, but it's not the end-all be-all. Studying for the LSAT sucks man, I definitely feel you on that, but at the end of the day you shouldn't let it define you.

And Dresden quit trolling the forums to tell everyone how much harder your life is than theirs. You win, douche.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:15 pm

dresden doll wrote:
nematoad wrote:

Not every irrational feeling deserves validation, though.

Of course I don't think people need to suffer through civil war to experience mind numbing depression. That said, I see exactly no reason not to give a verbal smackdown to those who experience it over dropping a $5 pizza. Sympathy, however well meant, only enables them.

Agreed. sympathy would only enable. But smackdowns (although very tempting) could push them over the edge. So you gotta find the balance between sympathizing and mildly spanking them in the direction of a more sound perspective. OP you can always retake. Or teach English abroad. It's a lot of fun and not enough people take advantage of it.

EDIT: dresden both my roommates are the products of a revolution. so i assume they understand your perspective but they also didn't take it out too hard on me when I'd cry over spilt milk.

i still live with my parents :oops:

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:20 pm

maxm2764 wrote:
And Dresden quit trolling the forums to tell everyone how much harder your life is than theirs. You win, douche.

For future reference, 'trolling' typically refers to bullshitting/making things up in order to garner reaction. Not exactly what I had in mind when I posted what I posted, shocking at that may sound.

And no shit it's not a contest (particularly not a contest I, or any other even remotely sane individual, would ever want to win). That doesn't mean that I don't get to tell others that 'what they're dealing with' is a pretty small deal in the grand scheme of life.

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that anything, no matter how unreasonable by any objective standard, deserves legitimizing for as long as someone takes it seriously. I'll repeat that much however many times I choose on these forums, with or without your blessing.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Far from it. Get help or go to the ER. Better yet, forget about law school.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:22 pm

dresden doll wrote:I fundamentally disagree with the idea that anything, no matter how unreasonable by any objective standard, deserves legitimizing for as long as someone takes it seriously. I'll repeat that much however many times I choose on these forums, with or without your blessing.

There's a certain level of empathy that a suicidal person should get even if their reasons for being suicidal are batshit retarded.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:24 pm

nematoad wrote:EDIT: dresden both my roommates are the products of a revolution. so i assume they understand your perspective but they also didn't take it out too hard on me when I'd cry over spilt milk.

The fact that you called whatever you cried over 'spilt milk' indicates that you had enough perspective to understand that it wasn't worth committing suicide over even when shedding tears. I wouldn't take it out too hard on you either.

Also, living with parents isn't necessarily a sign of immaturity.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:25 pm

dresden doll wrote:
nematoad wrote:EDIT: dresden both my roommates are the products of a revolution. so i assume they understand your perspective but they also didn't take it out too hard on me when I'd cry over spilt milk.

The fact that you called whatever you cried over 'spilt milk' indicates that you had enough perspective to understand that it wasn't worth committing suicide over even when shedding tears. I wouldn't take it out too hard on you either.

but it could be? :oops:

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:26 pm

gdane5 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

but it could be? :oops:

Mr. SoOoFly to the front desk, please. Mr. SoOoFly to the front desk.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:26 pm

The bottom line is that anyone who doesn't have formal training in dealing with people in crisis should not be passing any judgement or giving any advice, beyond to seek qualified help. To do so is irresponsible and dangerous.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:27 pm

dresden doll wrote:Not every irrational feeling deserves validation, though.

You can lecture people about their feelings after they step down off the ledge.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:28 pm

In this situation I believe a swift kick in the ass and a trip to the hood will set OP straight. Live in the ghetto for a few days and you'll experience things that will really want to make you kill yourself. :shock:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”