Starting to drink coffee in the mornings...fml

lsatextreme

Starting to drink coffee in the mornings...fml

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 pm

So I'm a very sleep sensitive person and not a morning person, so I tend to not perform my best in the mornings unless I happen to feel somewhat awake that morning. Sleep Inertia seems to hit me very hard when I wake up all the way up until noontime when I'm at work. I usually save all of my actual work for the afternoon for when I'm awake bc in the mornings I'm just staring blankly into the computer screen. Because of all this, I always try to sleep by 11pm, and never after midnight, and even though my alarm goes off at 7am, I can't remember the last time I didn't have to drag myself out of bed.

I've been hoping to avoid coffee throughout studying for this test and esp on game day, but with full time work schedule and non stop studying during any and all free time available, mornings have been hitting me especially hard to the point that unless I choose not to study in the mornings, I think I'm gonna have to start up the coffee habit. And if I drink coffee every morning now, I'm gonna have to drink on the morning of...I wonder if a lot of people are planning on doing this?

Sinra

Re: Starting to drink coffee in the mornings...fml

Postby Sinra » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:15 pm

lsatextreme wrote:So I'm a very sleep sensitive person and not a morning person, so I tend to not perform my best in the mornings unless I happen to feel somewhat awake that morning. Sleep Inertia seems to hit me very hard when I wake up all the way up until noontime when I'm at work. I usually save all of my actual work for the afternoon for when I'm awake bc in the mornings I'm just staring blankly into the computer screen. Because of all this, I always try to sleep by 11pm, and never after midnight, and even though my alarm goes off at 7am, I can't remember the last time I didn't have to drag myself out of bed.

I've been hoping to avoid coffee throughout studying for this test and esp on game day, but with full time work schedule and non stop studying during any and all free time available, mornings have been hitting me especially hard to the point that unless I choose not to study in the mornings, I think I'm gonna have to start up the coffee habit. And if I drink coffee every morning now, I'm gonna have to drink on the morning of...I wonder if a lot of people are planning on doing this?

Coffee is a diuretic. Meaning you'll have to pee. A lot. Especially if you're not used to it. Coffee also serves as a stimulant for other functions that you may not want to worry about the day of the test. You do NOT want to be in the middle of Section 1 and have to hit the bathroom. Coffee is really inadvisable IMO if you're not a consistent/long time drinker of it.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:20 pm

i'm not a regular drinker because I've purposely tried to avoid being reliant on it, but I'm just afraid what's gonna happen on exam morning. I realize adrenaline might take over, but a big part of why I did badly on the June test was because I became relaxed throughout the test and got sluggish, so maybe I'm not nervous enough for this test

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:22 pm

I think the golden rule is:

A) If you drink coffee daily. Don't stop now.

B) If you don't drink coffee. Don't start now.

I drink coffee every day. But I am starting to cut out the afternoon cup for the test.

Coffee can also make you have to crap. If you dont have your system on the Drink Coffee, then crap schedule. Don't expirement.

Also note that as little as a half of cup of coffee can increase alertness, and cognitive abilities.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:25 pm

ugh alright I'll stop after this morning's coffee. And I guess the only solution is to keep the strict 11pm-7am sleeping schedule. It hasn't helped that it's been blisteringly hot the past couple days and I've waken up a handful of times throughout the night so it's possible that I'm just not getting good quality sleep

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I think the golden rule is:

Coffee can also make you have to crap. If you dont have your system on the Drink Coffee, then crap schedule. Don't expirement.

I was trying to be a little more discreet. But that's totally what I meant. :lol:

Put it this way, OP...if you have a backlog in your belly, coffee will get that cleared right up.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:42 pm

really? I've read somewhere that coffee actually caused constipation so that was why I was avoiding it too...lol

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:44 pm

lsatextreme wrote:really? I've read somewhere that coffee actually caused constipation so that was why I was avoiding it too...lol

Opposite. Whenever I'm having issues--a grande regular from Sbux does the trick just right. Hee hee.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Try 5 hour energy some morning and see how it works for you. It doesn't have the shit encouragers that coffee does, so it might be ok for you.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Drink coffee in the morning. Time how long it takes before you need to shit or piss. Adjust your intake timing on test day to work around the average.
As a longtime heavy coffee drinker, I have no choice but to drink coffee on test day without risking a huge headache by hour 2, so timing my excretions has suddenly become a part of my life. Woohoo.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Bill99 wrote:Drink coffee in the morning. Time how long it takes before you need to shit or piss. Adjust your intake timing on test day to work around the average.
As a longtime heavy coffee drinker, I have no choice but to drink coffee on test day without risking a huge headache by hour 2, so timing my excretions has suddenly become a part of my life. Woohoo.

Thats intense. I am usually done by 9am.

bigben

Postby bigben » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Take all of your practice tests in the morning at the same time as the real LSAT, not in the afternoon. This is especially important in the weeks leading up to the LSAT. Also, don't take more than one practice test per day or generally more than about 4 per week.

Coffee is a great stimulant that can help you get in the groove of the LSAT, especially when it is part of a routine. Unfortunately, coffee makes you have to pee. The checking in period usually takes a long time so you are in the LSAT room long before the test starts. I had a great test center that wasn't as bad as many in this respect. Nonetheless, if my proctor hadn't let me and several others go the bathroom after checking in and right before the test began, I don't know what would have happened. I had to go really bad. But after going I was refreshed and ready to tackle the test (also scored above 175).

Several years ago, it was against official policy to allow test takers to leave the room after checking in and before starting the test. I'm sure this is still the case. Nonetheless, it was very common for proctors to let people go to the bathroom anyway. I'm sure this is still the case. Unfortunately, you can't really rely on this to happen for you. But on the other hand, the benefits of morning caffeine are substantial for regular users, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend quitting altogether.

Therefore, I would try the following:

1. Experiment with caffeine pills. Figure out how to use them to achieve the same effect as your coffee. Make them part of your routine leading up to the test. While this is still a diuretic, if there is no accompanying water then you should be fine. So I imagine this approach would involve drinking a good amount of water very early when you wake up, early enough that you get rid of it in time, and taking the appropriate amount of caffeine in pill form at an appropriate time. Experiment to come up with the right routine.

2. Alternatively, do as someone else suggested above and experiment with coffee until you find a routine that won't leave you desperate to pee during the exam. This is a little more risky, and you have to make sure you allow a significant buffer time because of the check in process. You also risk losing your prime caffeinated time before the test begins. But this approach could work.

3. Last ditch efforts should be avoided but if you have to then you can make sure you are the last person to check in so you can go to the bathroom as late as possible, and of course there is always the possibility that proctors will let you go to the bathroom if you have been sitting in the room for a while.

Finally, if you choose to quit caffeine, the key is to do so gradually. For example, cut your intake by 30% every 2 days. Meanwhile, up your fluid intake. People report good results with this approach.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”