PT 50 and Up RC issues

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby sanetruth » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:34 am

Was anyone else significantly affected by the RC changes from PT 50 onwards? I was doing fine in RC, usually at most -3 wrong on tests in the 30's and 40's, then the 50's hit and now i'm getting -8 and -7. So even though i'm getting -0 on games consistently, and LR is where I expect it/want it to be, RC is dragging my scores down.

Has anyone come up with approaches that work better with later tests than previous tests? Because apparently my method has been countered.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby Sandro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:42 am

Me. Its so frustrating.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby yzero1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:52 am

The first few RC sections from the 50's killed me. I averaged around -1 to -2 for RC sections before the 50s but for PT53, June 2007, and PT54, I got -4 to -5 on each RC section.

I managed to figure out an improved approach though, and I've gotten 3 straight -1 RC sections (PT 55, 56, and 57). I think the key is to slow down your reading pace and increase your focus during your first read-through. I used to read passages without paying too much attention to detail, but I realized that some of the answer choices in modern RC sections are extremely tricky if you don't have sufficient knowledge of the passage's detail.

Additionally, I've been reading through answer choices with much more focus. There seem to be more 50/50 answer choice situations on modern tests, but there are usually one or two words that will make an answer wrong. Look really closely for those words.

Lastly, ALWAYS refer back to the passage to find the words/sentence/section that confirm your answer choice. Carelessness was the primary reason behind my mistakes on my first few attempts at modern RC, and minimizing it has helped me tremendously.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby niederbomb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Actually, I did much better (-0 or -1) on the 50's RC (haven't done 57-60 yet, though, so I can't speak for them); the comparative passages are basically a giveaway.

But the questions require very close reading, compared to earlier sections. I have 1 minute or less at the end whereas I used to have up to 10 minutes leftover. But there seem to be fewer of those agonizing questions that come down to two (seemingly equal) answer choices.

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby sanetruth » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:23 pm

Interesting. Seems as though the consensus here, and in other places, is that on pre-PT50 tests, you could skim the passages and get by, but that the later ones require a more in-depth grasp of the passage. The upside is that my last PT, where I got -8 on RC, I finished with time to spare, so I'm going to allocate some of that extra time into more in-depth reading and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

User avatar
WonkyPanda
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby WonkyPanda » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:30 pm

yzero1 wrote:The first few RC sections from the 50's killed me. I averaged around -1 to -2 for RC sections before the 50s but for PT53, June 2007, and PT54, I got -4 to -5 on each RC section.

I managed to figure out an improved approach though, and I've gotten 3 straight -1 RC sections (PT 55, 56, and 57). I think the key is to slow down your reading pace and increase your focus during your first read-through. I used to read passages without paying too much attention to detail, but I realized that some of the answer choices in modern RC sections are extremely tricky if you don't have sufficient knowledge of the passage's detail.

Additionally, I've been reading through answer choices with much more focus. There seem to be more 50/50 answer choice situations on modern tests, but there are usually one or two words that will make an answer wrong. Look really closely for those words.

Lastly, ALWAYS refer back to the passage to find the words/sentence/section that confirm your answer choice. Carelessness was the primary reason behind my mistakes on my first few attempts at modern RC, and minimizing it has helped me tremendously.


Around how long are you taking to finish the passage? Traditionally I've been hitting 3m in RC but that seems to be detrimental to me because 50s RC is eating my brain.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby Sandro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 pm

My RC sections almost invaiably go like this

1st passage is cake -0
Second passage is usually pretty easy, maybe might trip up -1
Third passage is super long and I might go -0 or -1 but take a ton of time
Fourth passage i'm rushed and miss 2-3

Just took RC from PT54 and missed 1 in passage 3, and then 3 in passage 4 because I was up against the clock and had to guess on some.... -4 is a little better but I know that if I had an extra 2 minutes or so I could have went -2 or maybe -1.

I guess maybe starting with passage 3 or 4 would be a strategy to try? Doing the hardest/longest/most detailed passage last up against the clock isnt that great, i'd rather have 5 minutes to do passage 1 or 2.
Last edited by Sandro on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby yzero1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:36 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
yzero1 wrote:The first few RC sections from the 50's killed me. I averaged around -1 to -2 for RC sections before the 50s but for PT53, June 2007, and PT54, I got -4 to -5 on each RC section.

I managed to figure out an improved approach though, and I've gotten 3 straight -1 RC sections (PT 55, 56, and 57). I think the key is to slow down your reading pace and increase your focus during your first read-through. I used to read passages without paying too much attention to detail, but I realized that some of the answer choices in modern RC sections are extremely tricky if you don't have sufficient knowledge of the passage's detail.

Additionally, I've been reading through answer choices with much more focus. There seem to be more 50/50 answer choice situations on modern tests, but there are usually one or two words that will make an answer wrong. Look really closely for those words.

Lastly, ALWAYS refer back to the passage to find the words/sentence/section that confirm your answer choice. Carelessness was the primary reason behind my mistakes on my first few attempts at modern RC, and minimizing it has helped me tremendously.


Around how long are you taking to finish the passage? Traditionally I've been hitting 3m in RC but that seems to be detrimental to me because 50s RC is eating my brain.


Pre-50s, I normally finished with around 7-10 minutes to spare. After my change in approach, I'm finishing with 4-5 minutes.

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby Sinra » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:36 pm

yzero1 wrote:The first few RC sections from the 50's killed me. I averaged around -1 to -2 for RC sections before the 50s but for PT53, June 2007, and PT54, I got -4 to -5 on each RC section.

I managed to figure out an improved approach though, and I've gotten 3 straight -1 RC sections (PT 55, 56, and 57). I think the key is to slow down your reading pace and increase your focus during your first read-through. I used to read passages without paying too much attention to detail, but I realized that some of the answer choices in modern RC sections are extremely tricky if you don't have sufficient knowledge of the passage's detail.

Additionally, I've been reading through answer choices with much more focus. There seem to be more 50/50 answer choice situations on modern tests, but there are usually one or two words that will make an answer wrong. Look really closely for those words.

Lastly, ALWAYS refer back to the passage to find the words/sentence/section that confirm your answer choice. Carelessness was the primary reason behind my mistakes on my first few attempts at modern RC, and minimizing it has helped me tremendously.


I agree with this. I think the major difference in the new RC is not so much reading for structure/overall tone but much more involved with details of what is actually said--content. Strangely, I was doing between -5 and -3 on the older LR and have only been able to do -0 and -3 upper limits on the new ones. I actually prefer them to the older ones.

And the comparative passage really is a gimme.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Sinra wrote:And the comparative passage really is a gimme.


So save it for last during the section?

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby Sinra » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:55 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Sinra wrote:And the comparative passage really is a gimme.


So save it for last during the section?


I mean if you have timing issues I suppose that could be beneficial. I'm a big believer in doing the RC straight in order. I'm loathe to jump around too much. Though in LR I do skip around. I've tried that strategy in RC-jumping around-and I wasted way more time than I saved.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: PT 50 and Up RC issues

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Sinra wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
Sinra wrote:And the comparative passage really is a gimme.

So save it for last during the section?

I mean if you have timing issues I suppose that could be beneficial. I'm a big believer in doing the RC straight in order. I'm loathe to jump around too much. Though in LR I do skip around. I've tried that strategy in RC-jumping around-and I wasted way more time than I saved.

Ah ok. I usually have 2 mins left over on RC (PTs in the 40s and 50s) but I am paranoid about timing so I make sure not to have a passage that has 7-8 questions as my last one. I quickly (15 seconds) see whether a topic seems complicated and make sure not to do that one first so that I can warm up with something simpler/not get discouraged. I rarely do RC passages in the order presented so it seems to work out for me. I guess I will save comparative for last since it usually has 5-6 questions too.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests