October LSAT takers in Asia

xqhp82

October LSAT takers in Asia

Postby xqhp82 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:07 am

Hey,

Thought it'd be a good idea to open a thread for overseas LSAT takers and specifically in Asia so we can discuss about the different question set we get, the conditions of various test centers, etc.

I'm taking the test in Hong Kong. Went there about two weeks ago to check out the site, but unfortunately it was closed on the day so I don't know how the rooms/tables are like. From what I heard they seem to be very decent though.

Does any of you know how are the tests in Asia different from the disclosed ones? Are they any easier/harder?

Good luck! :D
Last edited by xqhp82 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

niederbomb

Re: October LSAT takers in Asia

Postby niederbomb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 am

Flying from China to take it in Seoul because, for some strange and aggravating reason, LSAC offers the LSAT in China every administration EXCEPT October. WTF?

And the Shenyang government currently has my passport; hopefully, I can get it back in time...

Any retakers out there? Are the logic games harder or easier than the ones in PT 57-60? My dream would be a -11 curve with logic games like the ones in PT 53.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 am

Nieder, that sums up my thoughts exactly. I'm also retaking in October. I'm going to HK inside of Seoul, though- it was cheaper, and I have friends to crash with.

OP (whose name I can't spell/pronounce), what kind of place is the center? Like a conference center? I'll just be getting in the day before, so I probably won't get there before. Thaaaanks.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 am

Eugenie Danglar,

Did you take the test in Asia the first time?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 am

No, I was stateside the first time. And yes, HK is more expensive, but lodging and most of my food are free, and the plane ticket was like half that to Seoul.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:17 am

niederbomb wrote:Flying from China to take it in Seoul because, for some strange and aggravating reason, LSAC offers the LSAT in China every administration EXCEPT October. WTF?

And the Shenyang government currently has my passport; hopefully, I can get it back in time...

Any retakers out there? Are the logic games harder or easier than the ones in PT 57-60? My dream would be a -11 curve with logic games like the ones in PT 53.

that really sucks...i was waitlisted for HK but luckily got out of it. if i were to go to seoul i might not even get to the test center let alone taking the test :/

i havnt done PT57-60 but a lot of people find them difficult apparently:( i don't want to get low scores the last few days leading up to the real test.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:22 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Nieder, that sums up my thoughts exactly. I'm also retaking in October. I'm going to HK inside of Seoul, though- it was cheaper, and I have friends to crash with.

OP (whose name I can't spell/pronounce), what kind of place is the center? Like a conference center? I'll just be getting in the day before, so I probably won't get there before. Thaaaanks.

sorry about my name haha, it's just a random code i got for an account elsewhere. anyway, the test center is an exam authority, as the name suggests its built solely for exam purposes, so it should be very well-equipped. I hate the location though, it takes about an hour for me to get there (transitting twice). if i want to be there at around 8am i'll have to wake up at around 5:30 so that i can fit in an hour of warm up sessions. ewww

doublefocus4

Postby doublefocus4 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 am

Also in China (Shanghai). I guess I'm the only one skipping Seoul and HK. Will be taking it in Singapore.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am

Also in China (Shanghai). I guess I'm the only one skipping Seoul and HK. Will be taking it in Singapore.

Why not Taiwan?

doublefocus4

Postby doublefocus4 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:47 am

The plan was to go to wherever it was cheapest to fly to. Was considering the Philippines, HK, SK, Malaysia, etc. At the time I checked, Singapore won the race with $420. But I just realized I did not check for Taiwan, so may have missed a better deal.

Oh well, I guess it's too late now.

navi786

Postby navi786 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Thank god INDIA had a Oct. option... I will be retaking it in New Delhi this 10th Oct...
Surprising for a country the size of India , there were only 9 test takers last time....( 3 Stupidly non serious, who walked out in between sections !!)..

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:46 am

I'm really interested to see the takers in HK. I wonder if there will be many Chinese or mostly foreigners who are in China temporarily. Also, I wonder how many people will be there...

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:14 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I'm really interested to see the takers in HK. I wonder if there will be many Chinese or mostly foreigners who are in China temporarily. Also, I wonder how many people will be there...

me too. i'm originally from hong kong myself but the LSAT is virtually unheard of in hk (my relatives think that I'm crazy for studying over the summer, they probably think i'm failing college). i'm guessing most people will be from China though since there's no october test in Beijing.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:20 am

Well, my whole family is American, but some think I'm a little nuts. If I'd done good [sic] in college, I wouldn't need more schoolin' and I'd already have a job. (And a husband and baby, but that's another matter entirely :-))

rowenar

Postby rowenar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:11 am

I'm taking it in Hong Kong as well. I'm currently teaching at Chinese University, so it's not the worst commute possible (still takes me a good 30 minutes to get there though). I'm American-born as well!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:21 am

rowenar wrote:I'm taking it in Hong Kong as well. I'm currently teaching at Chinese University, so it's not the worst commute possible (still takes me a good 30 minutes to get there though). I'm American-born as well!

Try ten hours. :-p

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:30 am

a question for the retakers: how strict were the proctors at your center regarding the no-cellphone rule? I wonder if there's any place at the site that I could keep my phone during the test so I don't have to leave it at home? i'd feel really weird without a cellphone in my bag...

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Another question, how strict were the proctors in Korea about the no mechanical pencils rule?

Everyone jokes about "Made in China," but I'm concerned as I have not been able to find a pencil sharpener that actually works. :(

rowenar wrote:
I'm taking it in Hong Kong as well. I'm currently teaching at Chinese University, so it's not the worst commute possible (still takes me a good 30 minutes to get there though). I'm American-born as well!

Try ten hours. :-p

10 hours? That sucks. I had to fly from Beijing to Hong Kong for a visa run, and after that 6 hour flight, I would have been in no condition to take the LSAT.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:47 am

Hey guys! I actually had a question about this. Are there any testing areas in Taiwan that are easy to sign up for? I'm taking the test in Texas October but I am not 100% ready so I might have to retake. I'm leaving to work in Taipei for a year so....if they offer it I would not have to fly back!

Thanks!
Last edited by ly2010 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 am

Yep, there's one in Taipei. I almost went there, but oddly, a flight to Korea was cheaper.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:31 am

Hong Kong folks- I'm flying in to Shenzhen, then taking a bus from the airport to "Kowloon Station." Should I change money at the airport or at this Kowloon place? Apparently there's a mall...

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:12 am

Eugenie Danglars,

I've been to Hong Kong twice from Shenzhen. I'm pretty sure the bus from the airport goes to Luohu Station, not Kowloon Station, as you have to go through customs to enter Hong Kong. You can change money at many locations in Luohu or the airport.

If your bus does go to Kowloon, then you have several options.

Many streets have money changers; the most famous one in Kowloon is inside Chungking Mansions, right outside East Tsim Sha Tsui Station (follow the exit signs). Nathan Road (right outside the exit from Tsim Sha Tsui and East Tsim Sha Tsui) is also full of money changers from one end to the other.

Probably your best bet is to use your Union Pay card from China at any Hong Kong ATM. The fee you will pay (about 1-2%) is lower than the lousy exchange rate/fee you will pay to a money changer.

Some of the money changers will try to rip you off by using a 1-1 exchange rate between RMB and Hong Kong Dollar, but an RMB is, in fact, worth about 10% more.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:35 am

Yeah Eugenie, it depends where your bus get off, if you do get into Kowloon (I guess it's either Tsim Sha Tsui or Mongkok) I wouldn't worry too much since the exchange places are everywhere in Tsim Sha Tsui....and second to what niederbomb said the best bet is probably to get cash out of any ATM.

I'll be going to HK tomorrow!! (taking ferry from Guangzhou to Tsim Sha Tsui)

Sigh, can't believe the day is getting so close, so excited yet so nervous.

BTW, do you guys know the trend of the tests in Asia? I know that they're non-disclosed but has anyone found anything about their trend on TLS? As we all know PT57-60 are rather brutal and I'm not liking it...I hope our test is going to be different from that (if not worse)

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks for the money changing tips...too bad I just withdrew all my travel money in RMB. *sigh*
I checked the exchange rate, so I shouldn't get ripped off. I'll just start my foreigner-is-squawking-in-Mandarin-quick-give-her-what-she-wants act. It works great for bargaining.

And I too, feel like I'm going in kinda blind with the whole non-disclosed test thing. Whatever. They probably don't disclose cause they're SO easy ;-)

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:22 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:They probably don't disclose cause they're SO easy ;-)

That's exactly what I think... 8)

Let's all pray that we don't get RC experimental as the first section followed by another RC.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”