I hate subjective questions

vstraight

I hate subjective questions

Postby vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 pm

I was just doing Preptest C and one question in LR (question #9 section 3) struck me as kind of subjective.

Is 125 large corporations a reasonable sample to base a generalization about large corporations in general? I thought it wasn't but obviously I was wrong...

Sandro

Re: I hate subjective questions

Postby Sandro » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:58 pm

isnt 30 the magic number? Or was I sleeping through that part in stats lol

vstraight

Postby vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Sandro777 wrote:isnt 30 the magic number? Or was I sleeping through that part in stats lol

I have no idea lol.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Sandro777 wrote:isnt 30 the magic number? Or was I sleeping through that part in stats lol

You got it. 30 and up is generally considered a statistically significant sample size.

KaplanLSATInstructor

Postby KaplanLSATInstructor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Actually, I don't think any knowledge of statistics is required here. The problem with (E) is that we don't KNOW whether that sample is unrepresentative. The data involves large corporations and the conclusion is about large corporations. For all we know, the large corporations selected for the poll are a perfect mix, providing an excellent sampling.

Of course, the sample COULD be unrepresentative, but that's not what (E) says. (E) suggests the sample IS unrepresentative, and thus we can't select that as a definite flaw.

On the other hand, (D) IS an assumption that the author makes, and is therefore the correct answer.

The subtlety here is about choosing an answer that we KNOW is a flaw rather than an answer that is merely a POSSIBLE flaw.

HTH

- Chris

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”