Recent logic games

Re: Recent logic games

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:43 am

niederbomb wrote:On the new games, it's not quite as easy to eliminate answer choices.

It used to be that on the first question of each game, you could apply each rule to the answer choices and, generally, eliminate 1 choice per rule. Now, sometimes multiple rules go unviolated, and, instead, one rule (or combination of rules) will violate multiple answer choices.

Sometimes, especially on PT 59, it seems the right answer is "hidden" in a way such that I have, more than once, eliminated all five answer choices, only to have to redo the whole thing.

They're not harder to diagram or "crack," necessarily, but the mechanics of solving them has become more difficult.

You really need to take a 'time out' break for R&R like RTF now if you are taking the October test!

You have the signs and symptoms of LSAT over-saturation and burnout!
When you have variables constantly dancing and rotating in your head with sets like FGLNPST FGHJKLMN echoing in your 'self talk' and are stressing about whether to sequence or group them and whether there is a numerical distribution, it is time to take a day or two off to decompress!

When in that 'blindly staring at the sun' paralyzed state of mind from hitting the PT's and games a bit too hard you have to take at least one day off to walk away from it and get perspective.

ION: The dino game was an advanced difficulty one, but was nothing new in terms of type, unusual surprises, and all that. It involved numerical distribution of the elements in ways that many games have tested in the past. The rules dictate some basic math distribution parameters.

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Any thoughts on the Trend of game difficulty?

56-easier, 57-hard, 58-easier, 59-easier,60-hard...

Do you think we may be in for an easier Logic Game section comparatively...

It seems like they may give us another section that is nasty.

Postby shanshan333 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:32 pm

kpuc wrote:The scales are generally kind on games with very hard LGs, right? I'm doing PTs 29-35 (which have the hardest games), and their scales are extremely generous: you could get -8 and still get a ~175.

I'm glad someone else agrees. The games from the 30s are really hard.

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:17 pm

I still don't know what people's fuss about the mulch game is. I was TERRIBLE at LG during the June test. Probably to the point that I shouldn't have taken the test at all and I got the game done with no problems. That last one though, that was a toughy.

Postby bartleby » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:00 pm

I took June and finally looked at the LGs again last night after doing LG 10-57. I really think PT60 LG could be top 3 hardest LG sections of all time (1 and 2 being the PT with birds/jewels and the PT with "Night's all right"/circular table)...

Every game in this section was trickier than normal. Even the straightforward first and second games had so many different possibilities. Especially the second game-- it was deceptively simple because of how easy the questions were. With the weird lay out of rules, they could've asked MUCH harder questions but thankfully didn't.

Looking at mulch for the second time really skews your approach IMO. You already know the rules but on test day, I remember having a real WTF moment and making a key wrong inference in my master diagram.

Game 4 was the hardest if you tried to brute force and there was that "field" mix up. I wasn't confused by it on the real test but when I took the section yesterday, I mixed up and had to redo everything (finished the game in under 5 mins tho).

This is sounding like a diary but I'm hoping October is nothing like June.

Postby sayruss11 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Maybe its because I was mentally prepared for the dinos game after everyone talking about it on here but I didn't find it difficult at all. The rules were really restrictive and just one key inference really made the game a pretty nice one. But yea I found the 20s and some in the 30s to be the hardest LGs.

Postby shanshan333 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:49 pm

I feel like if you master and get used to the LG from the 20s and 30s... you should be able to handle the curve balls they throw at you. I just took the 2010 yesterday and I did have a WTF moment looking at that mulch game but during the break it just came to me and it was really not a hard game. They do it because we're so used to certain kinds of set ups and they really want to test you. They look much worse than they actually are. Honestly, being realistic, I would expect another head scratcher on the October so be prepared. But, again, they're not THAT bad. Look over the older tests to develop a strategy and approach to these. This seems to be the direction LSAC is going.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”