Preptest 60 Discussion

jarofsoup

Preptest 60 Discussion

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 pm

I had a lot of problems with the logic games on this test. How did it go for you?

Particularily the Logic Games. I still cant get a grasp of the Mulch game.

MissLucky

Re: Preptest 60 Discussion

Postby MissLucky » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Same here - but the deduction on the last game is actually very simple (i have no idea why I missed it).

anyways, here is an excellent explanation of the Mulch game: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/ju ... ation.html

the blog also has an explanation to the other games on this test as well.

if those don't make sense feel free to ask specific questions, i feel like i have them down

Good luck!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Unless you are in a prep class and they just administered this one to you as a proctored diagnostic test, why would you have done this one already when it is still almost 2 weeks until the October test?

For full timed practice leading right up to test day you should have saved the most recent ones as fresh tests for timed practice during the last 2 weeks!

To get a realistic/semi-accurate idea of how you are currently scoring and likely to score on test day, your timed practice tests in the last ~2 weeks need to be very recent tests that you have NEVER SEEN before! Otherwise, if you have seen and worked some of the questions/games and/or read discussions and explanations about them before taking it as a diagnostic practice test, your result is going to be artificially inflated. That typically leads to disappointment when scores are released and you scored below your recent average.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:28 pm

I have a really crazy schedule next weekend, and I wanted to get it out of the way, but I did way below average on all the sections.

I took the test in June when it was administered.

I did not remember the test. I am not sure there are many tests that I havent seen.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:32 pm

I just finished PT 60...I thought the LG actually weren't so bad. The mulch game seemed very easy once I made the deduction that at least 2 mulch loads have to be consecutive.

Jeffort wrote:Unless you are in a prep class and they just administered this one to you as a proctored diagnostic test, why would you have done this one already when it is still almost 2 weeks until the October test?

For full timed practice leading right up to test day you should have saved the most recent ones as fresh tests for timed practice during the last 2 weeks!

To get a realistic/semi-accurate idea of how you are currently scoring and likely to score on test day, your timed practice tests in the last ~2 weeks need to be very recent tests that you have NEVER SEEN before! Otherwise, if you have seen and worked some of the questions/games and/or read discussions and explanations about them before taking it as a diagnostic practice test, your result is going to be artificially inflated. That typically leads to disappointment when scores are released and you scored below your recent average.

This isn't necessarily true. My last five PT's have been >175, and PT 60 was no different...the order of tests really isn't going to change anything, and I doubt any one test in the 50's is more predictive than another. I plan on studying every question I find confusing/difficult on several occasions before the real thing, and taking 60 now will let me have a couple days between each of those sessions. The extra time helps it sink in, IMO (and I still have 57-59 for full PT's). I derive a great deal of confidence--and expect to have the same feeling come test day--from knowing that I'm intimately familiar with recent testmaker strategies. They're not going to mindfuck me out of my 175+ with intentional ambiguity.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:27 pm

DreamShake wrote:

Jeffort wrote:Unless you are in a prep class and they just administered this one to you as a proctored diagnostic test, why would you have done this one already when it is still almost 2 weeks until the October test?

This isn't necessarily true. My last five PT's have been >175, and PT 60 was no different...the order of tests really isn't going to change anything, and I doubt any one test in the 50's is more predictive than another. I plan on studying every question I find confusing/difficult on several occasions before the real thing, and taking 60 now will let me have a couple days between each of those sessions. The extra time helps it sink in, IMO (and I still have 57-59 for full PT's). I derive a great deal of confidence--and expect to have the same feeling come test day--from knowing that I'm intimately familiar with recent testmaker strategies. They're not going to mindfuck me out of my 175+ with intentional ambiguity.

+1 with all due respect, that was odd advice, jeffort

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:55 pm

MissLucky wrote:
DreamShake wrote:

+1 with all due respect, that was odd advice, jeffort

I'm not sure what is odd about saving the most recently released PT for use as the final practice test before test day. Did I use too many words to make that point?

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:33 am

No; I'm not saying it's odd, either. I'm just saying it's not absolutely necessary, since recent tests are largely interchangeable in terms of prep value.

lawyer

Postby lawyer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:35 pm

How did you guys and gals get PT 60?

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:39 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Official-LSAT-Pre ... 700&sr=1-1

or if you're worried about the shipping time,

--LinkRemoved--

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”