Lack of focus/concentration when doing tests at Starbucks

lsatextreme

Lack of focus/concentration when doing tests at Starbucks

Postby lsatextreme » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm

So today I tried to do a practice test at my local starbucks to see how I can fare with the constant distraction around me. To my dismay, I found myself rereading prompts and just overall lacking concentration especially during RC. I ran out of time in the RC and in the 2nd LR section and I was definitely frustrated bc I kept somehow tuning in and out of the family with a little kid in the table next to me, and it was in Chinese so I didn't even understand what they were saying yet it kept breaking my concentration and ultimately screwd me.

Is this something I should remedy by hitting starbucks constantly over the next week to try to defeat the distractions around me that may or may not resemble test conditions? What do you guys think? Or will I be on my game the day of the test bc of the anxiety?

joemoviebuff

Re: Lack of focus/concentration when doing tests at Starbucks

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:30 pm

The actual test won't have any level of distraction that justifies preparation at a loud Starbucks. Studying there will probably be detrimental to your learning the material since you can't even seem to be able to focus. If you're looking for a little noise around you while you take the test, hit the nearest library, but I would just study and take the practice tests in the peace and quiet of my house so I could learn what I need to know so well I could do it in an earthquake if I needed to.

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:33 pm

The atmosphere at Starbucks is WAY more lively than it will be during the real thing. I think it's overkill.

You are better off going to the UG library that has a study area and sitting at a table in a room with other students also studying. People will generally be quiet like in the test but you will get the pencil scratching, page turning, coughing, etc.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:35 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:The actual test won't have any level of distraction that justifies preparation at a loud Starbucks. Studying there will probably be detrimental to your learning the material since you can't even seem to be able to focus. If you're looking for a little noise around you while you take the test, hit the nearest library, but I would just study and take the practice tests in the peace and quiet of my house so I could learn what I need to know so well I could do it in an earthquake if I needed to.

yea i've been doing it at the peace and quiet of my room this entire time but I tend to easily get distracted by not so obvious distractors unless I'm quietly in my room studying so I thought maybe if I can conquer Starbucks, then I can conquer all. But yea, I didn't see it that way where it might even hinder my progress. I have to admit I feel really comfortable and able to think clearer when I am at a state of peace (i.e. in my room) than when i'm outside trying to study. I'll go for the library advice, I agree that that would be a better indicator of test day conditions if anything.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:37 pm

2014 wrote:The atmosphere at Starbucks is WAY more lively than it will be during the real thing. I think it's overkill.

You are better off going to the UG library that has a study area and sitting at a table in a room with other students also studying. People will generally be quiet like in the test but you will get the pencil scratching, page turning, coughing, etc.

This. I've gone to Starbucks once to take a PT. Ordered a drink, listened to the constant noise, decided that this was not a good atmosphere to take a PT in, and took my drink and left.

UG library is very credited. Try and find the quiet floor though if you guys have that. The Test room is fairly quiet, no one is talking or anything, but definitely pencil scratches, pages turning, but honestly it's not too bad.

skippy1

Postby skippy1 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:52 pm

When I first started practicing I used to do it at a Starbucks (PT 20- PT 35). But then I moved to the local law school's library and have been doing the rest of the PTs there. I really don't recommend a Starbucks type environment. My scores jumped tremendously once I changed locations. If you need distractions, use the lsat proctor dvd.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I just learned that Kaplan and Princeton Review offer 1-day, free mock test proctorings.
Hit 'em up and see if either is offering one next weekend in your area. Best bet for what you're lookin' for.
As for the day-to-day, I agree with the anti-starbucks, pro-UG library sentiments voiced above.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”