Soo..where do I start

desiballa21

Soo..where do I start

Postby desiballa21 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Hey all, I'm currently a second semester sophomore. I haven't really done any LSAT prep yet but advisors have told me to start getting the ball rolling. What is the absolute first thing I need to do? I've heard that I need to take a practice LSAT without any help in test-conditions just to see where I am... How do I go about doing this? Just print an LSAT and take it and time myself?

NJcollegestudent

Re: Soo..where do I start

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:40 pm

First off, its nice to see another Indian on the board. You should take a cold diagnostic and see what your score is, and then begin to purchase the practice exams, and other prep books, such as the bibles (good for LR and LG, RC not so sure as i have never used it). Also, pace your self and you should see improvement. I scored somewhere in the mid 140's on my diagnostic and now i have improved to a 156.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:42 pm

I would not do that. I think it just discourages you and makes a large increase seem more substantial than it is weakening you motivation to go further. I would study the LR bible first, take notes disect the problems they give you. Then get one PT and go through it very slowly looking a trends etc.. Start taking timed tests around three months before the actual.

Taking a random test you never studied for is going do nothing for you in regards to improving your ability it will only effect your emotional attitude toward the test which is not productive, and is likely to have a negative impact.

I never took a cold test I just studied and then eventual took a whole section and finally a whole test. When I finally started taking whole tests I was in the 170s, I imagine if i took a cold and scored 140 then improved to 160 I would start feeling quite impressed with myself and notions of reaching my limit and satisfaction would have entered my head.
Last edited by sophia.olive on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:47 pm

The reason i suggested taking a cold one first is that you can identify where your real weakness are. I was terrible at the games in the cold one, and for many after, and thus recognizing that i was able to focus in on the games more. One thing to note is that not every study strategy fits a person, and it is dependent on amount of time avaliable to study, and what school you want to go to.

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 pm

I would recommend a practice test "Cold" without having prepared for it at all, relatively no familiarity with the test.

To each their own obviously, but I believe that most of the people here on TLS started with a practice test to gauge themselves and went from there.

Here is the June 07 LSAT, which is the one that LSAC will let you do free. It has a rough curve on it, not that I would expect you to know what that is yet, so your score might be slightly lower on it, but it will give you an idea of the sections and question types and a ballpark starting score.

http://www.lsac.org/JD/pdfs/SamplePTJune.pdf

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Most peopel take cold diagnostics. I think it helped me. But I also think it is too early for you to start studying. I really wouldn't study for more than 6 months for your first take. You want to hit to be on the top of your game at test day and don't want to run out of materials.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:02 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:The reason i suggested taking a cold one first is that you can identify where your real weakness are. I was terrible at the games in the cold one, and for many after, and thus recognizing that i was able to focus in on the games more. One thing to note is that not every study strategy fits a person, and it is dependent on amount of time avaliable to study, and what school you want to go to.

You are going to have plenty of room for improvement in all three. You need to focus on all three sections! If you only have time to focus on the section you did the worst in then you do not have enough time to study for the test and you should postpone. This is the most important test you will take in your life.

You should be wanting to go to the best school and strive for that and then see what happens.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:04 pm

2014 wrote:I would recommend a practice test "Cold" without having prepared for it at all, relatively no familiarity with the test.

To each their own obviously, but I believe that most of the people here on TLS started with a practice test to gauge themselves and went from there.

Here is the June 07 LSAT, which is the one that LSAC will let you do free. It has a rough curve on it, not that I would expect you to know what that is yet, so your score might be slightly lower on it, but it will give you an idea of the sections and question types and a ballpark starting score.

http://www.lsac.org/JD/pdfs/SamplePTJune.pdf

relevance?

do not discourage yourself op

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Most peopel take cold diagnostics. I think it helped me. But I also think it is too early for you to start studying. I really wouldn't study for more than 6 months for your first take. You want to hit to be on the top of your game at test day and don't want to run out of materials.

+1
but i think this mainly applys to PTs.
I think it would be advantagous to go through the bibles as early as you can so the concepts can dwell in your head and become second nature. Then the 2-3 months studying will just be the application of these ideas.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Take a test first. No need to do it under diagnostic conditions. It might be just as useful to go through it untimed, with lots of breaks and so on, so you get a feel for the types of questions.

I think the prep material would be pretty meaningless if you have no experience at all with the actual test.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:17 pm

dhrizek wrote:Take a test first. No need to do it under diagnostic conditions. It might be just as useful to go through it untimed, with lots of breaks and so on, so you get a feel for the types of questions.

I think the prep material would be pretty meaningless if you have no experience at all with the actual test.

Untimed PT's are the absolutely most useless things people do. Either take the PT, or drill a specific type going over the questions and answers.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
dhrizek wrote:Take a test first. No need to do it under diagnostic conditions. It might be just as useful to go through it untimed, with lots of breaks and so on, so you get a feel for the types of questions.

Untimed PT's are the absolutely most useless things people do. Either take the PT, or drill a specific type going over the questions and answers.

No man, it boosts my confidence when I take untimed PTs and score 180 everytime wtf.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:21 pm

1. The prep material has real questions

2. you dont want to form bad habitis by approaching things without a framework.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:41 pm

sophia.olive wrote:

1. The prep material has real questions

2. you dont want to form bad habitis by approaching things without a framework.

1. Yes, but it lacks context. It's hard to understand why you need to underline RCs, diagram LGs and map out conditional reasoning unless you have struggled through without these techniques.

2. This is true, it is something that hurt me. I only just recently started doing tests under real conditions (no breaks, no drinks, no overtime, no ear plugs), and I regret not starting earlier. But they are a sophomore, they won't be taking the LSAT until June/October of 2012, or October/December of 2011 at the earliest. There is plenty of time to do strict PTs later. For now my advice is just that you might get more out of the Bibles by having experienced some questions already. A timed test gives you an idea for the pace you need, an untimed test gives you an idea for the type of thinking you need to do. Both can be useful.

No man, it boosts my confidence when I take untimed PTs and score 180 everytime wtf.

Every time? I said just try one.

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:44 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
2014 wrote: I believe that most of the people here on TLS started with a practice test to gauge themselves and went from there.

relevance?

OP came to TLS to ask for advice what to do.
I would imagine that the trend of TLS students would be highly relevant.

Particularly since this forum is full of a vast number of individuals who scored 170+, I would imagine taking a similar path to them might be credited.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 pm

I should clarify my remark regarding what school you want to go to. I meant this in case someone wanted to stay local, or nearby. I know that this holds true for me, and thus i have started applications to many of the schools in my area, and most have a acceptance score percentile of 25 and 75 that is close to one another.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:13 am

2014 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
2014 wrote: I believe that most of the people here on TLS started with a practice test to gauge themselves and went from there.

relevance?

OP came to TLS to ask for advice what to do.
I would imagine that the trend of TLS students would be highly relevant.

Particularly since this forum is full of a vast number of individuals who scored 170+, I would imagine taking a similar path to them might be credited.

I scored 170+
I think we sould give him reasons......

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:26 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:I should clarify my remark regarding what school you want to go to. I meant this in case someone wanted to stay local, or nearby. I know that this holds true for me, and thus i have started applications to many of the schools in my area, and most have a acceptance score percentile of 25 and 75 that is close to one another.

Yeah you should have clarified before you gave him that advice given your advice is only mildly pertinate to that group of people.

The aim of taking the test is not getting in the range of a school you want to go to, it is doing as good as you can. You are talking about thousands of dollars in scholarships if a person strives a few points past what they needed.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:31 pm

You don't need to take a cold diagnostic. You can but it can be discouraging.
Rather, there are 2 free LSATs offered online. Just look at 1 section of each (LR, RC and LG) so you can see what kinds of things the LSAT asks and looks for. Try a few questions in each but don't time yourself or anything.

Start doing UNTIMED sections (people will argue with me on this, asking what is the point but there is a point - its to give yourself time to reason things out better and understand the logic without worrying about time). Buy the LRBible and LGBible.
Work through the drills and bibles THOROUGHLY.

Then take a timed practice test.
Then assess your strengths and weaknesses.
Then work on those specific areas. Then take more timed PTs.

You don't really need to take the LSAT before June after your junior year. You can take it in oct/dec of your junior year if you want *taking the summer after sophmore year to study.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”