Being diagnosed w/ ADD a way to score more time on lsat?

southernboy

Re: Being diagnosed w/ ADD a way to score more time on lsat?

Postby southernboy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:33 am

bazinga wrote:There's this law.... it's called the Americans With Disabilities Act...

If someone has a legitimate disability (which has to be proven medically) and goes through all of the necessary paperwork with the university (which at most schools includes an evaluation by a psychiatrist as well as an office especially for students with disabilities), they're going to get an accommodation.

Im not saying that the person who has ADD and has done well without medications/accommodations is guaranteed the extra time on tests because there is a wide range of severity in the disorder. And schools/LSAC make sure that only those that truly need it get it. I have ADD and never used medication or extra time, but I know of others that need it in order to get sub average grades. Who am I to deny someone that 1. the university feels they need or 2. the US feels they need? Im sorry, but its annoying when people who obviously never experienced academic hardship makes those that have feel guilty for just pursuing something that might help them. Why are people so threatened about people with a disadvantage being given an opportunity to be in the same playing field as everyone else? Its the same type of people that might look at a URM in their class and think ''they dont deserve to be here''

OP your friend should try to get accommodations, but I dont she will get them.

So at what point does a "mental disability" stop being a "mental disability" and become simply "not being as smart as other people"? i really don't get it. If you need extra time on a test, then you are slow. It doesn't matter whether you are slow because of "ADD" or mental retardation. Maybe we should give people with low IQs extra time on the test to "even the playing field". I just don't see what benefit there is to giving people with learning disabilities extra accomodations. They aren't going to be accomodated in the real world, so why should they on the LSAT and in Law school? What use is an LSAT score and/or GPA that was not created under the same conditions as everyone else? If a person with a low IQ gets a 180 on the lsat because he's allowed twice the time on each section, He's still unintelligent regardless of what his LSAT score says. In the same way, someone who gets extra time on a test due to ADD is not able to perform well under normal conditions. How will he he survive in the real world? I'm sorry but if someone needs extra time in college to make sub-average grades, maybe they shouldn't be in college.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 am

southernboy wrote:
bazinga wrote:There's this law.... it's called the Americans With Disabilities Act...

If someone has a legitimate disability (which has to be proven medically) and goes through all of the necessary paperwork with the university (which at most schools includes an evaluation by a psychiatrist as well as an office especially for students with disabilities), they're going to get an accommodation.

Im not saying that the person who has ADD and has done well without medications/accommodations is guaranteed the extra time on tests because there is a wide range of severity in the disorder. And schools/LSAC make sure that only those that truly need it get it. I have ADD and never used medication or extra time, but I know of others that need it in order to get sub average grades. Who am I to deny someone that 1. the university feels they need or 2. the US feels they need? Im sorry, but its annoying when people who obviously never experienced academic hardship makes those that have feel guilty for just pursuing something that might help them. Why are people so threatened about people with a disadvantage being given an opportunity to be in the same playing field as everyone else? Its the same type of people that might look at a URM in their class and think ''they dont deserve to be here''

So at what point does a "mental disability" stop being a "mental disability" and become simply "not being as smart as other people"? i really don't get it. If you need extra time on a test, then you are slow. It doesn't matter whether you are slow because of "ADD" or mental retardation. Maybe we should give people with low IQs extra time on the test to "even the playing field". I just don't see what benefit there is to giving people with learning disabilities extra accomodations. They aren't going to be accomodated in the real world, so why should they on the LSAT and in Law school? What use is an LSAT score and/or GPA that was not created under the same conditions as everyone else? If a person with a low IQ gets a 180 on the lsat because he's allowed twice the time on each section, He's still unintelligent regardless of what his LSAT score says. In the same way, someone who gets extra time on a test due to ADD is not able to perform well under normal conditions. How will he he survive in the real world?

Once you get a 170-ish, you've mastered the test.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:02 am

ResolutePear wrote:Doesn't stop people from discriminating.

Not that I'm a bigot or anything like that - but for the benefit of the thread I looked over the symptoms at a disease website.... and well - it pretty much describes me and a lot of other people:
Inattention symptoms:
Fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork
Difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play
Does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
Does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace
Difficulty organizing tasks and activities
Avoids or dislikes tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork)
Often loses toys, assignments, pencils, books, or tools needed for tasks or activities
Easily distracted
Often forgetful in daily activities

Hyperactivity symptoms:
Fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
Leaves seat when remaining seated is expected
Runs about or climbs in inappropriate situations
Difficulty playing quietly
Often "on the go," acts as if "driven by a motor," talks excessively

Impulsivity symptoms:
Blurts out answers before questions have been completed
Difficulty awaiting turn
Interrupts or intrudes on others (butts into conversations or games)

Now, that pretty much qualifies most kids.

There's a damn good reason why people didn't hear of this 10 years ago - it was called 'annoying and lazy'

ADD is retarded.

I'm sorry but all those symptoms can be solved with a good beating. I can guarantee you there isn't a single child in an Asian country with ADD where you get your ass whipped by acting like that.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:08 am

whymeohgodno wrote:ADD is retarded.

I'm sorry but all those symptoms can be solved with a good beating. I can guarantee you there isn't a single child in an Asian country with ADD where you get your ass whipped by acting like that.

uh oh.....

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:09 am

ResolutePear wrote:
southernboy wrote:

So at what point does a "mental disability" stop being a "mental disability" and become simply "not being as smart as other people"? i really don't get it. If you need extra time on a test, then you are slow. It doesn't matter whether you are slow because of "ADD" or mental retardation. Maybe we should give people with low IQs extra time on the test to "even the playing field". I just don't see what benefit there is to giving people with learning disabilities extra accomodations. They aren't going to be accomodated in the real world, so why should they on the LSAT and in Law school? What use is an LSAT score and/or GPA that was not created under the same conditions as everyone else? If a person with a low IQ gets a 180 on the lsat because he's allowed twice the time on each section, He's still unintelligent regardless of what his LSAT score says. In the same way, someone who gets extra time on a test due to ADD is not able to perform well under normal conditions. How will he he survive in the real world?

Lies.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:12 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
southernboy wrote:

Lies.

raw score | scaled score | percentile rank
98–101 -------- 180 --------- 99.9
97 ------------ 179 --------- 99.9
96 ------------ 178 --------- 99.9
94–95 --------- 177 --------- 99.8
93 ------------ 176 --------- 99.8
92 ------------ 175 --------- 99.7
91 ------------ 174 --------- 99.6
90 ------------ 173 --------- 99.4
88–89 --------- 172 --------- 99.1
87 ------------ 171 --------- 98.8
86 ------------ 170 --------- 98.4
84–85 --------- 169 --------- 97.8
83 ------------ 168 --------- 97.2
81–82 --------- 167 --------- 96.4
80 ------------ 166 --------- 95.2
78–79 --------- 165 --------- 94.1
77 ------------ 164 --------- 92.5
75–76 --------- 163 --------- 91.1
73–74 --------- 162 --------- 88.9
72 ------------ 161 --------- 86.5
70–71 --------- 160 --------- 83.9
68–69 --------- 159 --------- 81.3
67 ------------ 158 --------- 78.3
65–66 --------- 157 --------- 74.5
63–64 --------- 156 --------- 70.4
61–62 --------- 155 --------- 66.5
60 ------------ 154 --------- 63.3
58–59 --------- 153 --------- 58.7
56–57 --------- 152 --------- 54.8
55 ------------ 151 --------- 50.5
53–54 --------- 150 --------- 45.9
51–52 --------- 149 --------- 41.4
50 ------------ 148 --------- 37.9
48–49 --------- 147 --------- 33.6
46–47 --------- 146 --------- 29.4
45 ------------ 145 --------- 26.5
43–44 --------- 144 --------- 23.8
42 ------------ 143 --------- 20.4
40–41 --------- 142 --------- 17.4
38–39 --------- 141 --------- 15.4
37 ------------ 140 --------- 13.2
35–36 --------- 139 --------- 10.7
34 ------------ 138 --------- 9.7
33 ------------ 137 --------- 7.7
31–32 --------- 136 --------- 6.9
30 ------------ 135 --------- 5.4
29 ------------ 134 --------- 4.5
28 ------------ 133 --------- 3.9
27 ------------ 132 --------- 3.0
26 ------------ 131 --------- 2.5
25 ------------ 130 --------- 2.0
24 ------------ 129 --------- 1.6
23 ------------ 128 --------- 1.3
22 ------------ 127 --------- 1.0
21 ------------ 126 --------- 0.9
20 ------------ 125 --------- 0.8
19 ------------ 124 --------- 0.6
18 ------------ 123 --------- 0.5
17 ------------ 122 --------- 0.4
16 ------------ 121 --------- 0.4
0–15 ---------- 120 --------- 0.0

HTH

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:14 am

Once you consistently hit in the 170s maybe.

I've hit 170's various number of times. I don't think I've mastered the test at all though.

Especially since RC is a section that just seems beyond improvement.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Once you consistently hit in the 170s maybe.

I've hit 170's various number of times. I don't think I've mastered the test at all though.

Especially since RC is a section that just seems beyond improvement.

FUCK YOU RC

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Because LSAC is stingy with giving out more time to people with disabilities, I really have no beef with it. You've really got to have a serious and well-documented issue to get an accommodation from them. Plus with the massive number of people taking the LSAT, a few people getting more time here and there aren't going to make much of a difference.

I'm more skeptical of extra-time for law school exams because 1) I don't know what the process is (is it as strict as LSAT testing?) and 2) a few people in a section getting extra time can have a pretty drastic effect on the rest of the class. I didn't really feel affected by a small percentage of people getting extra time for the LSAT, but I definitely will be wearing my :? face if someone beats me on the curve by getting an extra hour or two for their exam.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:29 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:I can guarantee you there isn't a single child in an Asian country with ADD where you get your ass whipped by acting like that.

Kinda like how there are no gay people in Iran?

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:33 pm

dhrizek wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:I can guarantee you there isn't a single child in an Asian country with ADD where you get your ass whipped by acting like that.

lol

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:00 pm

dhrizek wrote:

I've never seen one...

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
dhrizek wrote:

I've never seen one...

:lol:

Megan170

Postby Megan170 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:34 am

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to post in the middle of another post, but am having difficulty getting a good answer with regard to my questions. I'm writing to find out whether anyone on here has requested accommodation from LSAC in taking the LSAT for a documented disability under ADA? I am specifically interested in hearing from those who have requested accommodation for additional time, and specifically related to a mental disability.

If so, I'd really appreciate hearing as much as you feel comfortable sharing in terms of what the disability entails, what accommodation you received, and what you had to do to receive it (what documentation you had to provide, how early, what the process to obtain the accommodation was, etc.).

Also, any information regarding whether the accommodation was reported to law schools and, if so, what sort of influence, if any, you feel that it had, would also be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Megan

(P.S. As a sidebar, before you be that person that posts ugly, discriminatory, and bigoted comments in response to people's legitimate questions regarding mental disabilities, please consider that only your own insecurity shows through on this. Also, please consider the extent to which some very bright people with a mental disability suffer and ask yourself whether you would want to be one of them. Probably not; I would imagine that's why you go to such lengths to deny their reality.

You might instead consider that someone can be perfectly intelligent and capable and nevertheless have a disability that impairs them in some way and therefore needs to be accommodated to allow them to compete on an equal level with those that do not bear such a horrendous burden. Be glad that's not you, but please don't be arrogant or mean-spirited enough to deny the reality of someone else just because it scares you to believe it's real.)

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:51 am

Megan170 wrote:Hi folks,

I'm sorry to post in the middle of another post, but am having difficulty getting a good answer with regard to my questions. I'm writing to find out whether anyone on here has requested accommodation from LSAC in taking the LSAT for a documented disability under ADA? I am specifically interested in hearing from those who have requested accommodation for additional time, and specifically related to a mental disability.

If so, I'd really appreciate hearing as much as you feel comfortable sharing in terms of what the disability entails, what accommodation you received, and what you had to do to receive it (what documentation you had to provide, how early, what the process to obtain the accommodation was, etc.).

Also, any information regarding whether the accommodation was reported to law schools and, if so, what sort of influence, if any, you feel that it had, would also be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Megan

(P.S. As a sidebar, before you be that person that posts ugly, discriminatory, and bigoted comments in response to people's legitimate questions regarding mental disabilities, please consider that only your own insecurity shows through on this. Also, please consider the extent to which some very bright people with a mental disability suffer and ask yourself whether you would want to be one of them. Probably not; I would imagine that's why you go to such lengths to deny their reality.

You might instead consider that someone can be perfectly intelligent and capable and nevertheless have a disability that impairs them in some way and therefore needs to be accommodated to allow them to compete on an equal level with those that do not bear such a horrendous burden. Be glad that's not you, but please don't be arrogant or mean-spirited enough to deny the reality of someone else just because it scares you to believe it's real.)

You again? We didn't bash your lack of internet social savvy satisfactorily in the other thread? Please don't come on our beloved forum with that attitude.

Megan170

Postby Megan170 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:04 am

It would seem to me that the one who lacks social savvy is the one who speaks of "bash[ing]" other people. If you require an explanation, what I stated was to let people know in advance that I would not tolerate the sort of hateful commentary I had seen written in response to the legitimate questions of others. I cannot imagine what it takes to be so ugly, but I am very glad I am not. It's those that who cannot be respectful that should not be invited to the table or, as it were, forum.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:06 am

Megan170 wrote:It would seem to me that the one who lacks social savvy is the one who speaks of "bash[ing]" other people. If you require an explanation, what I stated was to let people know in advance that would not tolerate the sort of hateful commentary I had seen written in response to the legitimate questions of others. I cannot imagine what it takes to be so ugly, but I am very glad I am not.

That's exactly the point. You don't get to dictate the sort of commentary you get in this forum. Thinking that you can is the problem.

Megan170

Postby Megan170 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am

I'm not asking to dictate that at all. I'm sorry if it came off that way to you. I'm merely requesting that people be respectful of the differences of others and provide serious responses with useful information, or not respond at all. Derogatory, taunting, bigoted responses do nothing for anyone, let alone the people who make the mistake of adding them to forums like this that should be reserved for civil discourse.

nmare

Postby nmare » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:32 am

I just told the LSAC proctor that I was feeling sick because I had a massive hangover and he just let me have an extra 10 minutes for each section. Very easy to do so dont even worry about it until the day of. HTH

Megan170

Postby Megan170 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:36 am

nmare wrote:I just told the LSAC proctor that I was feeling sick because I had a massive hangover and he just let me have an extra 10 minutes for each section. Very easy to do so dont even worry about it until the day of. HTH

Really? As a substitute for a mental disability? It's actually pretty mind-boggling (forgive the pun) that that reason would sound more acceptable to many folks that have not experienced this.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:44 am

Megan170 wrote:
nmare wrote:I just told the LSAC proctor that I was feeling sick because I had a massive hangover and he just let me have an extra 10 minutes for each section. Very easy to do so dont even worry about it until the day of. HTH

Really? As a substitute for a mental disability? It's actually pretty mind-boggling (forgive the pun) that that reason would sound more acceptable to many folks that have not experienced this.

you are not yet equipped for the internets

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:15 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Megan170 wrote:

I'd also like to point out that I do *NOT* forgive the pun. Unacceptable.

Totally unacceptable.

Megan170

Postby Megan170 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:25 am

ResolutePear wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Megan170 wrote:

I'd also like to point out that I do *NOT* forgive the pun. Unacceptable.

Totally unacceptable.

I'm not sure what else you wrote (you note "also"), but my apologies regarding the pun. The pun was merely referenced as such because we're discussing the mind here, and mind-boggling refers to something being incomprehensible. The last thing I would ever want to do is joke about a mental disability. I posted on here to elicit some serious, thoughtful responses from those with similar concerns and/or experiences, and for no other reason.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:42 am

Best trolls ever. 180.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:47 am

Megan170 wrote:It would seem to me that the one who lacks social savvy is the one who speaks of "bash[ing]" other people. If you require an explanation, what I stated was to let people know in advance that I would not tolerate the sort of hateful commentary I had seen written in response to the legitimate questions of others. I cannot imagine what it takes to be so ugly, but I am very glad I am not. It's those that who cannot be respectful that should not be invited to the table or, as it were, forum.

Respect is earned, not given on demand. You are creating trouble for yourself by "letting people know in advance" what you consider tolerable. This is a moderated community. We moderators handle what is acceptable and what is not. You are only making more work for us, and making things harder on yourself, by behaving this way. Your behavior invites the kind of responses you get and then we have to clean up the mess.

You have hereby been warned not to continue dictating to other posters what kind of responses you consider acceptable. If you do not change your attitude, you may be banned for trolling.

Everyone else, get back on topic. Any off-topic responses will result in bans. You will get banned if you keep being hostile to this poster inappropriately, even if they are bringing it on themselves with their improper attitude.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”