Being diagnosed w/ ADD a way to score more time on lsat?

Blumpbeef

Re: Being diagnosed w/ ADD a way to score more time on lsat?

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:40 am

jdhopeful11 wrote:This is the clincher of why accommodations would hurt more than help in some cases:

Additional Considerations

Candidates who seek additional test time on scored sections of the test should pay particular attention to the following:

* If you receive additional test time as an accommodation for your condition, LSAC will send a statement with your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) or LSAT Law School Reports advising that your score(s) should be interpreted with great sensitivity and flexibility.
* Scores earned with additional test time are reported individually and will not be averaged with standard-time scores or other nonstandard-time scores.
* Percentile ranks of nonstandard-time scores are not available and will not be reported.

In other words, forget about being a high LSAT, low GPA splitter. If you can't bring up their LSAT numbers and if you are bringing down their GPA numbers, you can't get in.

or am I misinterpreting what that says?

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:40 am

I'm diagnosed with ADH(Hyper)D and don't feel the need for any type of special accommodation. I dont feel that it is a "disorder" its just a different learning. I noticed that if I actually focus on the test material, I pass with flying colors. ADD does not affect ones ability to comprehend, study, or learn so it should not require a special accommodation.

If your friend is worried about anything that has to deal with ADD just pm me and I can give my email.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 am

Last edited by KevinP on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:02 am

KevinP wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:
KevinP wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:You just did. It's all about the numbers, don't forget boss.

LSAC is notorious for being extremely strict about giving out extra time. They were even sued a few times for not accommodating disabilities much more serious than ADD.

Also, I might be wrong about this but I don't think law schools report LSAT scores with accommodations.

Can you believe that sit/stand with a podium is an actual accommodation?? What impairment could you possibly have that you must take the LSAT using a podium?

Lmao, I just read the accommodations form and saw that about the podium. No idea as to what impairment requires a sit/stand podium.

Back injury

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:08 am

Accommodations are hard to come by for the LSAT. The odds of your friend getting more time are slim.

Also, 5 minutes is a shitload of time on the LSAT. I dunno why you think it is a trivial amount. I imagine I would have scored 3-4 points higher if I had 5 more minutes per section.

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:12 am

jdhopeful11 wrote:
KevinP wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:You just did. It's all about the numbers, don't forget boss.

LSAC is notorious for being extremely strict about giving out extra time. They were even sued a few times for not accommodating disabilities much more serious than ADD.

Also, I might be wrong about this but I don't think law schools report LSAT scores with accommodations.

Can you believe that sit/stand with a podium is an actual accommodation?? What impairment could you possibly have that you must take the LSAT using a podium?

Let's plead your case about why you think one certain disability should get more recognition and accommodation from LSAC, and question/make fun of the accommodations for other disabilities.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:21 pm

I teach a student who prefers to stand the entire class because of a back injury.
I like the way that because you couldn't think of a reason then there can't be a reason...

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:Accommodations are hard to come by for the LSAT. The odds of your friend getting more time are slim.

Also, 5 minutes is a shitload of time on the LSAT. I dunno why you think it is a trivial amount. I imagine I would have scored 3-4 points higher if I had 5 more minutes per section.

If I had 5 extra mintues I would almost surely get a 180 90% of the time.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Retarded troll is retarded. Just quit making threads.

bazinga

Postby bazinga » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:56 pm

First of all, ADD does effect your ability to comprehension, learn, and study. Schools can not deny a person just on the grounds that they received accommodations. Schools must abide by the ADA and give any students that need accommodations during exams; they have no choice. It is pretty tough going through the testing requirements to be diagnosed for ADD. It is not just a single questionnaire that one fills out, but a series of tests that are designed to pick out those that are faking it. Such tests include Rorschach, MMPI, IQ Test, achievement and aptitude tests. All of these tests have a very high construct and content validity as well as high internal consistency validity and test re test validity. If you know of someone that "cheated" this system they are most likely lying to you.

Some sites to check out

http://www.turnertoys.com/ADHD/APA_diagCriteria.htm

http://add.about.com/od/evaluationanddi ... lt-ADD.htm

--LinkRemoved--

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:11 am

bazinga wrote:First of all, ADD does effect your ability to comprehension, learn, and study. Schools can not deny a person just on the grounds that they received accommodations. Schools must abide by the ADA and give any students that need accommodations during exams; they have no choice. It is pretty tough going through the testing requirements to be diagnosed for ADD. It is not just a single questionnaire that one fills out, but a series of tests that are designed to pick out those that are faking it. Such tests include Rorschach, MMPI, IQ Test, achievement and aptitude tests. All of these tests have a very high construct and content validity as well as high internal consistency validity and test re test validity. If you know of someone that "cheated" this system they are most likely lying to you.

Some sites to check out

--LinkRemoved--

lol @ using about.com

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:27 am

I have ADD and I'm doing okay. Stop looking for excuses and just study for the test. You won't be able to apply for accommodations when you're in law school. You better conquer your ADD now or find another career path.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:29 am

bazinga wrote:First of all, ADD does effect your ability to comprehension, learn, and study. Schools can not deny a person just on the grounds that they received accommodations. Schools must abide by the ADA and give any students that need accommodations during exams; they have no choice. It is pretty tough going through the testing requirements to be diagnosed for ADD. It is not just a single questionnaire that one fills out, but a series of tests that are designed to pick out those that are faking it. Such tests include Rorschach, MMPI, IQ Test, achievement and aptitude tests. All of these tests have a very high construct and content validity as well as high internal consistency validity and test re test validity. If you know of someone that "cheated" this system they are most likely lying to you.

Some sites to check out

--LinkRemoved--

Do they really use Rorschach? I don't understand how anyone could still be taking that test seriously. Would also just like to make the point that you will not be getting accommodations when you are working (except for those who get special parking and ramps, those lucky bastards), so you might not want to get too dependent on getting a little extra time to do this test or turn in that assignment.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

I hate this thread.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:35 am

This thread is so full of fail.

10 years ago, I never really heard of ADD... and all of a sudden: EVERYBODY has ADD.

Seriously - if you're going to try to pull the ADD crutch on the LSAT - chances are you'd try to pull it in a courtroom. For the lulz.

FreeLPeltier

Postby FreeLPeltier » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:05 am

Even if you have a well documented case (ADD/ADHD/Dyslexia), the verification process LSAC uses is unbelievably cumbersome. The diagnostic instruments they require are complicated and very costly. It is unlikely that a person without a history of extensive clinical intervention would be able to satisfy their requirements.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:29 am

Helmholtz wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Even if she could get accommodations (which is pretty difficult in itself), she shouldn't.

What I'm curious is about is do people who actually get accommodations for ADD for the LSAT get any timing accommodations in Law School?

I could be wrong, but I think it's ADD/any other special situation be damned when it comes to law school exams.

Quite the opposite in my experience.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:42 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Even if she could get accommodations (which is pretty difficult in itself), she shouldn't.

What I'm curious is about is do people who actually get accommodations for ADD for the LSAT get any timing accommodations in Law School?

I could be wrong, but I think it's ADD/any other special situation be damned when it comes to law school exams.

Professors give extra exam time to students who have ADD?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:47 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Professors give extra exam time to students who have ADD?

And while we're at it, lets give URM status and ratify a constitutional amendment that gives them the right to be provided with the judge's law clerk whenever in the courtroom!

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:56 am

ResolutePear wrote: ratify a constitutional amendment that gives them the right to be provided with the judge's law clerk whenever in the courtroom!

I'd settle for the right to be the judge's law clerk.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:05 am

dhrizek wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: ratify a constitutional amendment that gives them the right to be provided with the judge's law clerk whenever in the courtroom!

I'd settle for the right to be the judge's law clerk.

Yeaaaah...

bazinga

Postby bazinga » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:57 am

There's this law.... it's called the Americans With Disabilities Act...

If someone has a legitimate disability (which has to be proven medically) and goes through all of the necessary paperwork with the university (which at most schools includes an evaluation by a psychiatrist as well as an office especially for students with disabilities), they're going to get an accommodation.

Im not saying that the person who has ADD and has done well without medications/accommodations is guaranteed the extra time on tests because there is a wide range of severity in the disorder. And schools/LSAC make sure that only those that truly need it get it. I have ADD and never used medication or extra time, but I know of others that need it in order to get sub average grades. Who am I to deny someone that 1. the university feels they need or 2. the US feels they need? Im sorry, but its annoying when people who obviously never experienced academic hardship makes those that have feel guilty for just pursuing something that might help them. Why are people so threatened about people with a disadvantage being given an opportunity to be in the same playing field as everyone else? Its the same type of people that might look at a URM in their class and think ''they dont deserve to be here''

OP your friend should try to get accommodations, but I dont she will get them.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:24 am

Doesn't stop people from discriminating.

Not that I'm a bigot or anything like that - but for the benefit of the thread I looked over the symptoms at a disease website.... and well - it pretty much describes me and a lot of other people:
Inattention symptoms:
Fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork
Difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play
Does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
Does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace
Difficulty organizing tasks and activities
Avoids or dislikes tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork)
Often loses toys, assignments, pencils, books, or tools needed for tasks or activities
Easily distracted
Often forgetful in daily activities

Hyperactivity symptoms:
Fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
Leaves seat when remaining seated is expected
Runs about or climbs in inappropriate situations
Difficulty playing quietly
Often "on the go," acts as if "driven by a motor," talks excessively

Impulsivity symptoms:
Blurts out answers before questions have been completed
Difficulty awaiting turn
Interrupts or intrudes on others (butts into conversations or games)

Now, that pretty much qualifies most kids.

There's a damn good reason why people didn't hear of this 10 years ago - it was called 'annoying and lazy'

jwzp

Postby jwzp » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 am

Last edited by jwzp on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando

Postby rando » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:35 am

bazinga wrote:There's this law.... it's called the Americans With Disabilities Act...

If someone has a legitimate disability (which has to be proven medically) and goes through all of the necessary paperwork with the university (which at most schools includes an evaluation by a psychiatrist as well as an office especially for students with disabilities), they're going to get an accommodation.

Im not saying that the person who has ADD and has done well without medications/accommodations is guaranteed the extra time on tests because there is a wide range of severity in the disorder. And schools/LSAC make sure that only those that truly need it get it. I have ADD and never used medication or extra time, but I know of others that need it in order to get sub average grades. Who am I to deny someone that 1. the university feels they need or 2. the US feels they need? Im sorry, but its annoying when people who obviously never experienced academic hardship makes those that have feel guilty for just pursuing something that might help them. Why are people so threatened about people with a disadvantage being given an opportunity to be in the same playing field as everyone else? Its the same type of people that might look at a URM in their class and think ''they dont deserve to be here''

OP your friend should try to get accommodations, but I dont she will get them.

This thing called the American with Disabilities Act - It requires Reasonable accommodation. I'll let everyone else pick fight the battle of whether or not extended time on the LSAT or a LS exam is reasonable - but I would say no.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”