Do you think LSAT questions go in order of difficulty?

vtoodler

Do you think LSAT questions go in order of difficulty?

Postby vtoodler » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:26 am

When you were taking practice tests, do you find that the questions get harder towards the end?

Icculus

Re: Do you think LSAT questions go in order of difficulty?

Postby Icculus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:27 am

yes, especially the LR questions and for the most part the LG section. This is by design.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:59 am

LR definitely yes. 1-15 is generally easier than 15-20.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:01 am

vtoodler wrote:When you were taking practice tests, do you find that the questions get harder towards the end?

They don't really. In LR sections the questions do ramp up in difficulty initially, but then becomes easier towards the end. You'll often have the first ten questions be all 1 or 2 star questions and then have questions 11-22 be the most difficult, with the last few questions dropping back down to the 2 or 3 star level. This isn't always the case, but for many sections it is.

For LG the difficulty of the questions is mostly tied to game types, so the progression of question difficulty would be in large part determined by your personal affinity for LG question types. I can tell you that of the four games in an LG section I find the final game the most difficult fairly often, but sometimes it is the third or even the second game that is the toughest for me. It depends on the section.

Likewise for RC the passage topic determines overall difficulty, with the final passage not always being the most difficult. Within a passage's block of questions there does not seem to be any clear pattern in terms of difficulty progression.

All of this is tempered by the fact that you are getting more tired as the test wears on, so if you are progressing through each section linearly then you will often find the questions towards the end harder because you have less focus and energy to deal with them.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:17 am

In LG, the questions do tend to get harder in each game. Basically, they expect you to be making and more and more inferences as you go through. The first question is basically a gimme in 90% of games.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:40 am

Here is what I have observed in LR:

1-10 are ridiculously easy, to the point that I've now started stumbling over them because I overthink them. See my second LR section in PT 55, where I got everything but NUMBER THREE correct. Or maybe I'm just dumb, haha.

10-14 are somewhat easy. They ramp the difficulty up a little. Totally doable, you don't always spend a ton of time on these guys.

14-20 are difficult, time eaters, for me at least.

20-24/25 are usually a mix. They can be easier, harder, just medium.

The last question (usually 25 or 26) is hella long in order to mess up people who a) have little time and b) are tired.

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:27 am

I haven't noticed LG getting harder as I go on. I think they are up and down and while the first game is often a linear sequencing one, I find that it often sucks up more time than it should.

For LR the first 15 on average are easier for sure, but there are always a couple thrown in there to make you think. The next 10 are again harder on average, with some easier ones thrown in there as well. The last 5 questions seem to always include 1-2 parallel reasoning or other long form questions which are annoying.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:03 am

Yeah the difficulty in the questions as you go on is most apparent in LR. I'm pretty sure that on average I get more wrong in the last two passages of RC than in the first two, but would have to check (I don't think it would be by a lot, and I have yet to start on the comparative passages). LG I still feel like a novice, so I'm all over the place there.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:10 pm

LR, yea I find that 15-21ish seem to be the hardest (I think this is to eat up time and create stress on those last ones, regardless of how manageable they may be).

LG, I usually find the third game to be the hardest, perhaps this is intended to cause the same stress on the last game.

RC, I'm undecided, 3rd and 4th passages are usually the ones that get me, about equally I'd say.

coffeetable

Postby coffeetable » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:02 pm

eit wrote:Here is what I have observed in LR:

1-10 are ridiculously easy, to the point that I've now started stumbling over them because I overthink them. See my second LR section in PT 55, where I got everything but NUMBER THREE correct. Or maybe I'm just dumb, haha.

10-14 are somewhat easy. They ramp the difficulty up a little. Totally doable, you don't always spend a ton of time on these guys.

14-20 are difficult, time eaters, for me at least.

20-24/25 are usually a mix. They can be easier, harder, just medium.

The last question (usually 25 or 26) is hella long in order to mess up people who a) have little time and b) are tired.

+ 1

Speaking of LG, the first one is usually relatively easy. The other 3 are random. I find the second one or the third one the hardest. Rarely the first or the fourth one.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:22 pm

According to Cambridge, the 4th question is the hardest or one of the hardest in 19 out of 35 tests from the first 38.

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/productdet ... _games/406

So it will probably be the hardest, but don't count on it.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Roughly. Hardest LRs are typically 14-19ish. And the hardest of the Parallel questions is usually like second or third to last Q in any section.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:51 pm

PT 52 had a nasty 4 star flaw question on LR 6 :( But yea, 1-10 are usually cake, 11-19 are the hardest, and 20-25 while sometimes containing some long stims usually arent killers like 11-19 can be. In fact a lot of the time they are bang bang questions.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:03 pm

No. Look at the difficulty rating ascribed to the questions in the sections and you'll see that, while there is a slight (very slight) trend, it's not designed to get increasingly difficult as you get further in the questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”