Another RC question.....

blair27

Another RC question.....

Postby blair27 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:19 pm

RC is pretty consistently my worst section. I usually miss about 8 or 10 each section. I know that is pretty dreadful but of the ones I am missing at least 4 or 5 of them are guesses because I have run out of time. A few people have told me to read the questions first before reading the passage and in trying that my scores went down. There was too much going on in my head.....I find even the passages I read and completely understand there are questions that stump me. This leads me to believe I am just not looking for the right things when I am reading.

Just curious what kind of things have worked for people and how they improved their RC scores????

Thanks

Kurst

Re: Another RC question.....

Postby Kurst » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:36 pm

blair27 wrote:RC is pretty consistently my worst section. I usually miss about 8 or 10 each section. I know that is pretty dreadful but of the ones I am missing at least 4 or 5 of them are guesses because I have run out of time. A few people have told me to read the questions first before reading the passage and in trying that my scores went down.

This is phenomenally bad advice. See the links in this post for RC help: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127185#p3370904

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:47 pm

I initially started out by getting about 12 or 13 wrong per RC section, and now am down to a personal best minus 5 per section. The best advice i can give you is simply this; read through the passage as you would and mentally note each main point, idea, or conflicting piece of information. Look out for a specific point and if it has a few attributes, it may be in the questions. Read the section as such that at the end you would be able to explain it to a person. For me the improvement came after going through a few sections, so it seems the more exposure to the sections the easier it is to improve.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:50 pm

One thing that has really helped me is anticipating the questions. Circle names and dates that are of importance and also underline definitions. Sometimes it is also helpful to underline confusing areas because it is common for these areas to come up in a question like:

The statement "goobers are usually nectars" is used by the author most likely in order to:

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Chris_cpb wrote:One thing that has really helped me is anticipating the questions. Circle names and dates that are of importance and also underline definitions. Sometimes it is also helpful to underline confusing areas because it is common for these areas to come up in a question like:

The statement "goobers are usually nectars" is used by the author most likely in order to:

I personally love the "most analogous to" stems, as they have some wild answer choices.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:54 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:One thing that has really helped me is anticipating the questions. Circle names and dates that are of importance and also underline definitions. Sometimes it is also helpful to underline confusing areas because it is common for these areas to come up in a question like:

I personally love the "most analogous to" stems, as they have some wild answer choices.

Those are somewhat rare. I personally don't like those and also don't like the "which title most represents the main point of the passage?" But I agree that the analogy ones can be funny :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”