So Frustrated...

arean.ryan

So Frustrated...

Postby arean.ryan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:51 pm

I've been studying for this damn test since August, diag : 144, now scoring around 157,158 wanted to be closer to 163-165

My problem is LOGICAL REASONING, no matter WHAT I do I cannot reduce my errors, I will forever consistently miss 8 questions on the LR portion of the test...I was trying different methods of approach and now I have hired a tutor that doesn't consider any certain strategy besides reading and answering the questions (no marking no nothing)....I'm taking this test in 2 weeks and I'm not sure if this tutor is really helping, (seen him for four hours)...needless to say I am still making the same amount of errors pre/post LRB strategy use...should I tell this tutor to go to hell? He scored a 176 and is a damn genius, but I am not a genius.... is there no hope now that the test is two weeks away, am I forever doomed to miss 8 questions per lr section, FML

RFKScott

Re: So Frustrated...

Postby RFKScott » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Are you able to finish the section in the 35 minutes given? If not try doing the first 15 and then immediately jumping to the last page of the section as they are generally easier than the Questions from like 16-21. This way you can attack the answers first that you are most likely to get correct. I noticed I sometimes make some really careless errors when under timed conditions such as just not really focusing on the conclusion. A lot of the times I use to just not take that into account and would pick an AC that would not directly lead me to the conclusion. Just basic fundamentals that I knew I knew but would kind of overlook due to somewhat of a panic that timed conditions can present.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:22 pm

I do 1-10, 25-~20, then 11-20. It has worked decently for me so far as I know that going into 11-20 I have a little more time to work and am not juggling so much time left on the clock...

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:26 pm

I understand what youre going through. LR was my worst section, but Ive seriously improved on it during the last 4 PT's.

My advice to you is to go over ALL the question in detail. This is going to take a lot of time and it may get boring, but you have to do it. Go over the ones you got wrong and the ones you got right. Understand why you chose the wrong answer instead of the correct one. Understand why you chose the right one over the incorrect ones. Its all a matter of understanding whats causing you to make mistakes and then fixing them.

For instance, I was very careless with reading. I would often get questions incorrect because I didnt read the stem or stimulus correctly. You have to read each and every single question/stem in its entirety. Doesnt matter if its question 1 or question 21, read everything. Another thing that I corrected was thinking that an answer was irrelevant simply because it mentinoned something that wasnt in the passage. I learned that when the question stem says "Which of the following, if true,..." this means that whatever is in the answers goes. Doesnt matter if its something completely irrelevant to what was said in the passage, it can be a correct choice. This method of thinking also applies to questions that say "According to the information above, which of the following must be true..." because in this case you must only pay attention to what was said in the stimulus. In this case you want to avoid answers that bring in completely new information.

Another thing thats helped me has been to "work backwards". I always identify what the argument (if there is one) is saying and I attack it accordingly. This has really helped me in weaken/strengthen/assumption questions. You cant attack these questions if you dont know/understand what the argument is saying.

Its tough, but you can improve. LR is all about little details. One last thing, relax. Dont panic, dont clock watch. Just relax.

Good luck!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:17 pm

gdane5 wrote:I understand what youre going through. LR was my worst section, but Ive seriously improved on it during the last 4 PT's.

My advice to you is to go over ALL the question in detail. This is going to take a lot of time and it may get boring, but you have to do it. Go over the ones you got wrong and the ones you got right. Understand why you chose the wrong answer instead of the correct one. Understand why you chose the right one over the incorrect ones. Its all a matter of understanding whats causing you to make mistakes and then fixing them.

For instance, I was very careless with reading. I would often get questions incorrect because I didnt read the stem or stimulus correctly. You have to read each and every single question/stem in its entirety. Doesnt matter if its question 1 or question 21, read everything. Another thing that I corrected was thinking that an answer was irrelevant simply because it mentinoned something that wasnt in the passage. I learned that when the question stem says "Which of the following, if true,..." this means that whatever is in the answers goes. Doesnt matter if its something completely irrelevant to what was said in the passage, it can be a correct choice. This method of thinking also applies to questions that say "According to the information above, which of the following must be true..." because in this case you must only pay attention to what was said in the stimulus. In this case you want to avoid answers that bring in completely new information.

Another thing thats helped me has been to "work backwards". I always identify what the argument (if there is one) is saying and I attack it accordingly. This has really helped me in weaken/strengthen/assumption questions. You cant attack these questions if you dont know/understand what the argument is saying.

Its tough, but you can improve. LR is all about little details. One last thing, relax. Dont panic, dont clock watch. Just relax.

Good luck!

Image Image

This is excellent advice! Certainly much more useful and likely to make a good performance difference than just trying to do the questions in a different order.
All the recent posts recommending changing the order of working the questions as a great way to significantly improve performance are getting pretty tired. No matter the order you work them, it is still the same set of problems.

Changing the order/skipping around CAN be a useful/beneficial time management strategy to grab a extra few points for people that are not able to finish sections and consequently have to pick and choose which ones to attempt and which questions to sacrifice to the random guess gods knowing they will not be able to fully attack all the questions in order to maximize their score. However, it is not going to do a darn thing to improve ones problem solving skills and likelihood of getting each question they attempt correct. That part has to do with your underlying LSAT skills.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm

gdane5 wrote:I understand what youre going through. LR was my worst section, but Ive seriously improved on it during the last 4 PT's.

Good luck!

Good post.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”