Logic Games Strategy

broker02

Logic Games Strategy

Postby broker02 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:11 pm

So I've been through the LGB and done tons of LG practice, I'm still consistently missing 2 or 3 per game. This is unacceptable, especially considering I'm near perfect on RC and good (-3ish) LR. I need a 166-170 and LG's are killing me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (taking the Oct. exam).

Adjudicator

Re: Logic Games Strategy

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Need more information... what exactly is it that you are doing wrong that is causing you to miss so many? I mean, LG is very concrete and normally you can be pretty certain about each answer, given enough time. Are you rushing? Guessing? Or are you really just not understanding?

broker02

Postby broker02 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 am

Normally I just don't have enough time to set everything up and do the problems. My strategy (albeit probably bad) is to diagram each answer if possible on my fixed diagram for the entire game. That yields the right answer 90% of the time for me, but takes forever. This is what's taking most of my time, and I usually have to end up guessing on two before the 8:45 runs out.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 am

broker02 wrote:Normally I just don't have enough time to set everything up and do the problems. My strategy (albeit probably bad) is to diagram each answer if possible on my fixed diagram for the entire game. That yields the right answer 90% of the time for me, but takes forever. This is what's taking most of my time, and I usually have to end up guessing on two before the 8:45 runs out.

Don't erase! Keep your diagrams that you make for each answer. If you find that a placement is conditional on another placement (must be true always when that other one is true), write another rule. Try to make at least two big deductions on your main diagram before you start answering questions. I find that in the 50s games at least, a lot of it can be solved before you even start diagramming for the individual questions.

Hope that helps! I know a lot of it is common sense stuff but it's what really helped me. Now I only miss a question if I make a stupid mistake or misbubble or something.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:28 am

piccolittle wrote:
broker02 wrote:Normally I just don't have enough time to set everything up and do the problems. My strategy (albeit probably bad) is to diagram each answer if possible on my fixed diagram for the entire game. That yields the right answer 90% of the time for me, but takes forever. This is what's taking most of my time, and I usually have to end up guessing on two before the 8:45 runs out.

Don't erase! Keep your diagrams that you make for each answer. If you find that a placement is conditional on another placement (must be true always when that other one is true), write another rule. Try to make at least two big deductions on your main diagram before you start answering questions. I find that in the 50s games at least, a lot of it can be solved before you even start diagramming for the individual questions.

Hope that helps! I know a lot of it is common sense stuff but it's what really helped me. Now I only miss a question if I make a stupid mistake or misbubble or something.

+1

Hypotheticals you've already made are often useful in other local questions. They can also help you to eliminate answer choices in global questions. Save your previous work.

Inferences can help you create your hypotheticals more quickly. Oftentimes, the answer to a global must be true question is something you already know based upon your inferences.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”