Help w/ LG in PT 52 and 53!!!

rso11

Help w/ LG in PT 52 and 53!!!

Postby rso11 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Hey all,
I totally suck at sequencing games that have conditional rules like the ones in PT 52 and 53. Does anyone know how to do #20 in PT 52 or #8 in PT 53? I'm especially stumped with the set-up of the game in PT 53.

Regarding 53, I'm pretty sure I'm messing up the diagram and making unwarranted assumptions for the last 2 rules.

3rd rules says: G is either before J or after L but not both.
4th rule says: V is either before G or after P but not both.

How do I diagram these??
Does this mean I have to make 2 different diagrams, taking into account the dual possibilities of each of the 2 rules above? In trying to figure out how to diagram them, I came up with: V>P/G or P/G>V and G>L/J or L/J>G.

Can someone help me out with this game? I am consistently bombing it! :cry:

niederbomb

Re: Help w/ LG in PT 52 and 53!!!

Postby niederbomb » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 pm

G--J or L--G

V--G or P--V

That's how I did it. Trying to combine those rules doesn't exactly work. It can, technically, but keeping it all straight without making unwarranted assumptions is difficult ----> impossible.

I am so confused by your diagram. I think I would bomb the game, too, if I tried to combine the rules like that. I aced that game yesterday simply by remembering both rules separately and using them against the questions.

I did the whole Powerscore thing, and I was stuck on only being able to complete 3 games for the longest time. But while their method is arguably the best, it is not perfect. Two changes that helped me get 20+ on LG in 35 minutes were doing less initial diagramming (initial inferences are not as useful on more recent games as on the 90's games) and using "---" instead of "<" for sequencing.
Last edited by niederbomb on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:59 pm

niederbomb wrote:

G--J or L--G

V--G or P--V

That's how I did it. Trying to combine those rules doesn't exactly work. It can, technically, but keeping it all straight without making unwarranted assumptions is difficult ----> impossible.

For example, your diagram has "V" sometimes falling before "P" whereas nothing in the question indicates this ever happens.

I did the whole Powerscore thing, and I was stuck on only being able to complete 3 games for the longest time. But while their method is arguably the best, it is not perfect. Two changes that helped me get 20+ on LG in 35 minutes were doing less initial diagramming (initial inferences are not as useful on more recent games as on the 90's games) and using "---" instead of "<" for sequencing.

It's better to write it as:

G>L+J or J+L>G

V>G+P or G+P>V

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:05 pm

G>L+J or J+L>G

Better, actually. I just did it the other way because it was only the second time I'd seen a structure like that, and it was straightforward.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 pm

niederbomb wrote:
G>L+J or J+L>G

Better, actually. I just did it the other way because it was only the second time I'd seen a structure like that, and it was straightforward.

I did it the same way. However, I read about diagramming it this way on the forums afterward. I wish I had diagramed this way. It would have saved me a ton of time.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Do you think it's more easy to make a mistake doing it like that, especially with test anxiety? How would you proceed?

I'm interested to know since a lot of the modern LG's have similar rules.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:11 pm

niederbomb wrote:Do you think it's more easy to make a mistake doing it like that, especially with test anxiety? How would you proceed?

I'm interested to know since a lot of the modern LG's have similar rules.

If anything, it reduces mistakes. The rule already implies that if G comes before J, it comes before L as well, or if V comes before G, it comes before P as well. However, that inference is forgettable. It's best to write down as many inferences as possible. This one is especially useful because it tells you that the latest G can come (if it comes before J) is 4th (this game had 6 slots, right?).

Games like this one are kicking my butt too. I always waste far too much time on them. I just know we're going to see a game like this in September. We're due for one.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”