Assumpt Q from PT59

Assumpt Q from PT59

Postby MissLucky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:20 pm

PT59, S2, Q14

Very straightforward and easily understandable stimulus with an odd/unexpected correct answer choice (at least, to me).

For this one my prediction of the necessary assumption was something along the lines of: "the typical bagel eater adds spreads to his consumption each sitting" - that to me is a necessary assumption on this question (otherwise there is QUITE a difference between 680 and 500 calories, contrary to the conclusion of the argument that there is "very little difference"). So this may seem like a dumb question, but in necessary assumption questions, the correct answer need not answer the most blatant one?

Also, (D), which was the best out of all the answer choices, simply does not strike me as necessary. Let's negate it: The typical doughnut eater DOES add to doughnuts substances that increase the total caloric intake. What if the typical doughnut eater adds just a tiny pinch of a spread that ends up being 1 extra calorie total. The conclusion of the argument that "there is very little difference between what a typical doughnut eater and a typical bagel eater each consumes at one sitting" would still certainly hold (assuming, again, the truth of my predicted necessary assumption - that bagel eaters do add spreads).

What do you guys think about this one?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”