Need Some Advice: October LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jets098

New

Need Some Advice: October LSAT

Post by jets098 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:55 pm

I have taken around 10 practice tests at this point with around the following scores:

1. 152
2. 153
3. 158
4. 162
5. 163
6. 161
7. 158
8. 158
9. 162
10. 156

Now, I seem to be in the 158-162 range and my goal has always been to get above a 160. When I hit 163 I was hoping to be able to aim higher but it is clear at this point that I cannot do that. I generally score from 18-22 on Logical Reasoning sections, 17-20 on logic games, and 19-22 on reading comprehension. My problem is that I always have one section which is the outlier and it always seems to be the first section I do. For example, my lowest reading comprehension score ever was 19 before today when I scored a 14! (It was the first section of the test). The thing I find weird is that I am not noticeably "off" during this first section. I always feel like I do a good job before looking at the scores.

On the other hand, when I hit the 4th section I usually rush through it. Today I finished the 4th section, logical reasoning, in 20 minutes and scored a 22 (-3). I was rushing through this section because I had to get to a class. There are a lot of times when I feel my attention slipping, yet I still achieve my best scores. Basically my two questions are:

Does anybody have any advice for fixing my problems on this first section? (In practice, on test day)

Has anybody else experienced a higher score on a section when their attention is slipping or they are rushing? This seems like a very weird thing to me as most people are told to slow down if they are missing problems.

Thanks.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Need Some Advice: October LSAT

Post by tourdeforcex » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:36 pm

This is just personal opinion here but here are my suggestions:

1) Keep a consistent schedule, if you aren't already. Take the practice test at around the same time every day if possible. Don't take one at 1 in the afternoon and then the next one at midnight. Better yet, take the test around the same time your actual test will take place. The underlying psychological principles are sure to generate controversy but I definitely believe that once you get in the habit, your mind will be more "in the mode."
2) I have experienced higher scores when I am less stressed. For example on one of my practice tests, I completely messed up my first section LG, I wrote out a rule wrong and had to go back and redo 5 questions. After that, I didn't think I'd do well overall and did fine for RC and LG.

sayruss11

New

Post by sayruss11 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 pm

Definitely if you're having trouble with the first section, do some warm ups. whether it be a game or a few LRs it will get your mind in the state it needs to be in.

RFKScott

New

Post by RFKScott » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 pm

I feel I am the same as the OP. When RC is the first section that is when I get by far my worst RC scores as opposed to when it is the the 3rd or 4th section. I feel as if my mind needs to get in time crunch mode before I settle into the RC sections. I need to test out warmups to see how it affects me as I consistently finish tests strong as opposed to the first 2 sections. It is like night and day.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:21 pm

Not to be critical but don't be unreasonable about your range. Your most recent test was a 156 and therefore should be at the base of what you consider your range of scores.

Are you reviewing every question you get wrong, figuring out why your answer and any other enticing ones are wrong and why the right answer is right?
Are you coming up with trends of question types and wording that is giving you trouble? I bet with 10 tests down you could figure out pretty well where you should focus your efforts.

If it is just a matter of focusing on the first section, do some warm up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jets098

New

Post by jets098 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:59 pm

Scored a 166 today on PT 57 which is my best score by 3 points and came one changed answer away from a 167. My first score (logic games) was good (-3) and I did a practice beforehand. Only had one section with a raw score of under 20 and had my best logical reasoning section ever (-3). Definitely uplifting to have a good score just a week and a half before. I still have a bunch of blank practice tests that I can take. Would I be killing myself if I did another one tomorrow after reviewing this one or should I take a day off and just do a few sections?

svarne2

New

Post by svarne2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:46 pm

I would suggest doing some warm up before you start in on the practice tests. This can be anything from a cross-word puzzle or Sodoku or a full timed section. Just make sure you get your brain working before you start that first section. If this is the route you take make sure you follow suit on test day. Make sure you do something similar before you leave for the test site and if possible on the way there. It doesn't make sense to warm up before every practice test and go into the real thing cold.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Pray that the experimental section is the first section on test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”