Which study philosophy should I adhere to?

jacko

Which study philosophy should I adhere to?

Postby jacko » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm taking a quasi prep course with a private tutor and they essentially teach the test using only practice tests and then reviewing the question type and going over the questions that your missed. I then picked up the LG and LR bibles which seem to be widely popular and I found that some of the methods conflict with the advice of the private tutor. What should I do? Should I try to pick up the tips from the Bibles even though they are a little different than what I'm being taught or should I just stick with the method I've used thus far? ( Last PT was a 164 after a little over a month of studying) I was hopin the Bibles would give me a little more of a more consistent method of attacking the games and would allow me to get the few questions more I need to get right on each section.

artichoke

Re: Which study philosophy should I adhere to?

Postby artichoke » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Sounds like you think the method of your tutor works better.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 pm

The PowerScore Logic Games Bible is great.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:16 pm

Im of the belief that simply taking PT's and then reviewing your mistakes is not always a good idea. I believe this because how can you answer questions correctly if you dont really know what youre supposed to be doing. I believe that one should learn the question types, learn how to attack them and then take practice tests.

However, if youre a naturally high scorer it might be to your advantage to just do PT's and review them. If youre scoring highly then its very likely that you know what youre doing and the questions arent confusing you. Your 164 is a good score and thus I would recommend sticking to what your private tutor is doing. Use the Logical Reasoning Bible to go over any specific question types that are giving you trouble.

So in other words, if youre scoring low and youre not improving, review the bibles and learn. If youre scoring high and you know what youre doing, just take PT's.

Good luck!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:25 pm

My philosophy is this: If you can get a 160 you know enough. Sharpening your reasoning skills and learning LSAT format is key to getting to the 160 threshold, stop worrying about learning and start practicing. From 160 on up, it's nothing but timing and consitancy. Ditch the bibles, ditch the tutors, just take 20-30 full 3 hr tests however the hell you want.

jacko

Postby jacko » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks to those who replied and I think that I have a fairly good grasp on the material so I think I'll stick with the method outlined by the tutor. If anyone has any other opinions feel free to let me know.

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:58 am

If the tutor tells you to just go over the ones you got wrong, I don't think that is the best advice. You need to go over the ones you got right too. It will help solidify things in your mind. Honestly there are only so many logical structures the test can throw at you and the more familiar you are with everything, the better your chances are at getting any question right.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”