self prep or should i take a lsat course

adam.123

self prep or should i take a lsat course

Postby adam.123 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 pm

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who contribute on this site.
I Would like some advice on prepping for LSAT. A little bit of my background, I went to high school outside US. Although it was British colony, English was language of instruction at my high school. I did not really care about reading books or anything academic. Read Only what was required for reading material. Came to USA 4 years ago for undergrad degree. graduate last year with BS in business-finance. My LSDAS gpa from lsac is 3.45.
Started reading lsat logic reasoning section, my head spins, and very confusing. do not think can finish one section in 40-50mins. takes me like 8-10 minutes to fully understand what is being said. Currenlty getting only 13 right per section in LR.
What will you recommend? Does English being my 3rd will affect me, OR Is everyone one(native) has same difficulty in reading those LR section?
Also, how hard/easy for me to get around 155-160 range? Does reading economic, scientific America everyday make huge improvement?
Would you recommend getting Paralegal certificate, some law school have paralegal program for people with BA or BS undergrad degree. Would this help me to get in LSAT-law school mood thing? OR should i just focus on LSAT Study only. Any recommendation, suggestion is highly appreciated!

CanadianWolf

Re: self prep or should i take a lsat course

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Based on your post above,you definitely need to take a prep course. Focus on LSAT preparation.

adam.123

Postby adam.123 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Thank a lot. So I should not worry about reading scientific America and economist which was highly recommended on tls. somebody here mentioned that there are tons reading comprehension from previous lsat 1-60ish, which make sense to focus on those 60sh reading comp.what would you suggest to increase timing?

alanrickman

Postby alanrickman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:55 pm

adam.123:

Based on your posts, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like English is not your first language (you say 3rd). Based on this, I really don't know how helpful it will be for you to spend a lot of money on a prep course. What I would do, if I were you, is to get your hands on every possible LSAT-related preperation item (i.e. all the prep tests, the "bibles", etc.). That way, you can effectively learn at your own pace and not feel intimidated because of the language barrier. Your GPA of 3.45 is not going to "cut it" at a lot of top schools, but if you can master the LSAT and are considered a URM then it shouldn't hurt you that much. Remember, what makes the LR sections so hard is the scope of the answer choices: words like "most", "only", "always", "never", etc. are exceptionally difficult to comprehend if you are unfamiliar with how they are logically used.

Try your look with reading a logic book.

Hope this helps!

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:57 pm

I personally recommend taking a course and then allowing several months for self prep too. Reading the economist is bad advice... just do tons of LSAT PT's and in doing so you'll take tons of RC sections. Follow a version of Pithypike's study guide after your course and you'll be set.
My authority-- I've studied for 8 months and my score has gone from 149 to 178.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Like other people said, it seems like the language barrier is at least somewhat of an option. I think you should definitely at least look into a prep course. I've taught a lot of students who weren't 100% fluent, and they generally found it to be really helpful to have a classroom course.

As for outside reading material, of course real RC passages are the best thing to practice on, but if you're planning on studying for a long time and doing every single released LSAT problem, then you might need more. I think the Economist is actually pretty good, as it's written at a higher level than most magazines, and their articles are often opinionated (both traits of RC). If you use other materials, they should be supplemental, not a replacement. But since you said you didn't read a whole lot before, it might be a good way to get used to dealing with somewhat dense arguments on a regular basis.

adam.123

Postby adam.123 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Thank everyone.
Alanrickman, actually it is my fourth language. First, I had my language growing up, then moved to another country, I had to learn Swahili, arabic and english. I proficiency in those three language. I do not think I can consider my self to be proficient in English. I can read college level material finance, philosophy, humanity and do well on test. I think the language of lsat is very different. I hope I will learn and ace the test. So, it wont be worth considering a master degree that will get me in mood of lsat reading. I am also interested in field of political science, thought about getting MA-pol scie before law schol. Or go into JD-MA pols scie. Any thought?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Adam123: Your use of the English language suggests that you may have a very difficult time "mastering" the LSAT. If you are not interested in pursuing an MBA degree & taking the GMAT, then you need to take an LSAT prep course & give yourself two or three months of concentrated LSAT study after completing the LSAT prep course. Most LSAT test prep companies offer a free diagnostic test under timed conditions. Consider taking advantage of this offer.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Definitely take a prep course. I took one with Kaplan and was very happy with it. You might also benefit from private tutoring, if you can afford it.

Melanie1987

Postby Melanie1987 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:55 am

I definitely would go for private tutoring.

adam.123

Re: self prep or should i take a lsat course, one more question

Postby adam.123 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:53 pm

one more question, Wondering what would be most effective approach during reading lsat questions, paragraphs, games. When reading, do you actually read those word silently back in your mind? Or do you read by looking at the words as a picture, just look and comprehend? A good example would be, when driving in highway or streets, you will see road signs like, 90 East- take right, All way Stop, school signs, pedestrian walking, slow down. We do not read these signs, we look at them and comprehend them instantly. We do not either read silently in our mind. So, would this work on reading LSAT stuff.
Personally, I have not payed any attention to any of these reading style, and never found myself thinking about these untill recently wanted to boost my reading habits and skills.
Would appreciate your thought on these!

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:17 pm

Why do you repeat yourself? You have already asked this question in another thread that you created:

In a separate thread, adam.123 wrote:Hello!
Wondering what would be most effective approach during reading lsat questions, paragraphs, games. When reading, do you actually read those word silently back in your mind? Or do you read by looking at the words as a picture, just look and comprehend? A good example would be, when driving in highway or streets, you will see road signs like, 90 East- take right, All way Stop, school signs, pedestrian walking, slow down. We do not read these signs, we look at them and comprehend them instantly. We do not either read silently in our mind. So, would this work on reading LSAT stuff.
Personally, I have not payed any attention to any of these reading style, and never found myself thinking about these untill recently wanted to boost my reading habits and skills.
Would appreciate your thought on these!

And you were answered:

Sandro777 wrote:I naturally want to read in my head but have found silent picture works better. Especially in RC.
Hannibal wrote:This. When I try to read it I usually have to restart.
Sandro777 wrote:Theres just no way you can visually read, think of it in your head, and then store any semblance of it enough to recall. Atleast for me anyways, mental picture is faster. I kind of just record a mini mental video of the passage lol.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”