Should LSAT prep be considered as part/full-time job?

GoGetIt

Should LSAT prep be considered as part/full-time job?

Postby GoGetIt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Anyone in favor of this?

Adjudicator

Re: Should LSAT prep be considered as part/full-time job?

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:06 pm

I think it depends on factors such as where you're at, how much you want to improve, how much time you have, etc.

When I was trying to make leaps in my LG skills I treated it as a job for a short time, and it helped. Now that I consistently score 175+, it would make no sense for me to spend that much time on it and I would run out of material pretty fast, if I did. I just take a PT every few days and spend some time reviewing it, and that's that.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Are you joking around saying that if an employer asks your past employment you should mention this? Or are you asking if you should treat it as a part time job?

If its the latter, then I guess sort of? I mean, some people here will probably say they average studying like 4 hrs a day for this thing (at least for the last month). I'm going for the Dec date, so all I can say is that my study plan requires about 6-7 hrs a week outta me until then, so I really wouldn't consider that on par with the stress of a part time job, though its definitely something that you really want to stay on top of cause if you slip up and don't do that studying, you might not be prepared by test date (which is why I had to pass on Oct test).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 am

Tunnel vison.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 am

Well, I spend more time doing this than actually being at my part time job. I spend 8 hours a week there, and I spend at least 6 hours on prep tests during the week, and then the individual sections I work on... probably about 10 hours a week.

I also booked off the 1st-10th of October for the LSAT. The 10th as well because I plan on going out after the LSAT, hahaha.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 am

I don't see how it could take more than 4 hours a day. That can be easily done, even with a full time job.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Whether or not one makes LSAT prep a full-time job, it needs to be a top priority. Focus. Try to complement LSAT study with healthy habits regarding diet, exercise & sleep.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:19 pm

The amount of time you devote might start off small and build gradually as you get closer to the test date itself.

Alternatively, it might start off with a lot of time devoted to building a strong foundation, then as your semester/work gets busier, it might decrease gradually to be simply a few timed exams per week with detailed reviews of them.

Either way, the period during which you're in high gear should be considered something along the lines of a part-time job. Maybe even a full-time job if you're cramming, but cramming is certainly not recommended.

Be sure to take plenty of breaks in your studying so you don't burn out.

Perch

Postby Perch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Whether or not one makes LSAT prep a full-time job, it needs to be a top priority. Focus. Try to complement LSAT study with healthy habits regarding diet, exercise & sleep.

i've got a busy part time job (if that makes sense), but the job revolves around the lsat, not vice versa. all about the test.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:19 am

I agree with LSAT Blog. During the months leading up to it, you shouldn't have to dedicate more than 10 hours a week to it. For the weeks leading up to it, you need to be doing at LEAST a few full practice tests a week (4+ hours each including review time) and a couple sections.

In all honesty, to get the best score you should be doing around 20 hours a week at minimum the month prior to exam. Like... a PT every day or every other day. That way, when you get around to test day, it feels just like another day at the office... with the added benefit that you will have a 99% idea of what your score is going to be approximately.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:03 am

eit wrote:Well, I spend more time doing this than actually being at my part time job. I spend 8 hours a week there, and I spend at least 6 hours on prep tests during the week, and then the individual sections I work on... probably about 10 hours a week.

I also booked off the 1st-10th of October for the LSAT. The 10th as well because I plan on going out after the LSAT, hahaha.

You're going to get hammered on thanksgiving?! What about the turkey :shock:

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:47 am

I spend more time on the LSAT than I spend at my full time job. I spend about half the time at work studying for the LSAT. :mrgreen: Then spend at least 3 hours a day at home on it.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:51 am

LOL

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:52 am

motiontodismiss wrote:I spend more time on the LSAT than I spend at my full time job. I spend about half the time at work studying for the LSAT. :mrgreen: Then spend at least 3 hours a day at home on it.

I thought about doing that at work too but I work at a law firm and I couldn't find a way to disguise the fact that I'm practicing LSATs. I assume that if my boss or any other lawyer came and just glanced at my paper they'd recognize it in heartbeat it was LR/LG/RC lol

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:02 am

almostthereee wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I spend more time on the LSAT than I spend at my full time job. I spend about half the time at work studying for the LSAT. :mrgreen: Then spend at least 3 hours a day at home on it.

I thought about doing that at work too but I work at a law firm and I couldn't find a way to disguise the fact that I'm practicing LSATs. I assume that if my boss or any other lawyer came and just glanced at my paper they'd recognize it in heartbeat it was LR/LG/RC lol

I do PrepTests at home. I only do review at work. 4 hours uninterrupted is damn near impossible to get, even at my job.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
almostthereee wrote:

I do PrepTests at home. I only do review at work. 4 hours uninterrupted is damn near impossible to get, even at my job.

Ah good idea... I might start trying that. So that'll mean I'll need to do 2 PT's the day before work (along with my usual 1 a day) and save the reviews for both tests for work. 2 PTs in one day sounds scary to me... though I'm sure some of you have been doing it on a regular basis already :shock: I just have the fear of wasting PTs by going to the next one before reviewing my previous one but it sure does sound more appealing than doing a PT after a long day at work..

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”