PT on the 8th?

Blindc1rca

PT on the 8th?

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm toying with the idea of taking my last PT on the 8th.

Here's my situation. I'm flying into the states on the 7th, I'll get to my father's house by about 5:30pm. I was considering getting up the next morning taking my final PT in the test center. Jet lag wont be a problem as I'm only one hour behind in my current country.

Possible drawbacks/benefits?

Re: PT on the 8th?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Why? You won't even get to review it for correctness in any meaningful way, and will just lose a lot of mental energy.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 pm

well i'm currently scoring in the mid-170's, so my reviews aren't insanely long. i would probably just review it over lunch with my father. and then relax the rest of the day.

what you said about mental energy... how so?

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Haha way to take good advice.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 pm

You are taking a long international flight. That creates fatigue and you want to be as well rested and energetic as possible on test day. Take your last practice test on your hell of a long flight and review it before you land. Then finish up with airport hell after you land, get home, rest up/decompress on Friday, get to bed early, wake up and try to kick arse on Saturday. (Oh, and use some time to take a nice shower and unpack some clean clothes from your luggage after you get home from the airport.)
Last edited by Jeffort on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:14 pm

I think your OP made it seem like you were going to take the PT the day of the test. As far as taking it the day before, its a pretty good idea, especially if you can see the test center/get acclimated. I plan on taking 2 on the 7th, 1 on the 8th, and an RC section the morning of. My problem the last time I took it for realz was getting my mind locked in for the first section, after not looking at anything for more than a day. This varies from person to person though, so do whatever you think will be most to your benefit.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:As far as taking it the day before, its a pretty good idea, especially if you can see the test center/get acclimated. I plan on taking 2 on the 7th, 1 on the 8th, and an RC section the morning of.

This is a horrible idea. You are not going to learn anything new in the last 2 days before the test or morning of the test. All you are doing is burning up valuable energy reserves, especially with the super lame counterproductive idea of doing 2 timed tests in one day instead of resting, relaxing and charging up. You plan is super silly.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:29 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:As far as taking it the day before, its a pretty good idea, especially if you can see the test center/get acclimated. I plan on taking 2 on the 7th, 1 on the 8th, and an RC section the morning of.

That seems a bit much. My PT on the 8th would be my only PT that week.

Jeffort wrote:You are taking a long international flight. That creates fatigue and you want to be as well rested and energetic as possible on test day. Take your last practice test on your hell of a long flight and review it before you land.

I never said my international flight would be long. In fact it's only a 2 and a half hours.

Would this really create that much mental fatigue? I'd almost certainly do it without an experimental section.

For the record I'm not rejecting your advice; I think there's a good chance that it could be spot on. I'm just trying to dig deeper to really understand the reasoning behind it.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Jeffort wrote:

This is a horrible idea. You are not going to learn anything new in the last 2 days before the test or morning of the test. All you are doing is burning up valuable energy reserves, especially with the super lame counterproductive idea of doing 2 timed tests in one day instead of resting, relaxing and charging up. You plan is super silly.

w/e, not about me. Just giving my take, and like I said it depends on the person. Taking a PT the day before certainly won't hurt, and I think not taking one the day before hurt me last time.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

w/e, not about me. Just giving my take, and like I said it depends on the person. Taking a PT the day before certainly won't hurt, and I think not taking one the day before hurt me last time.

Ok, if you say so... :roll:
Just please don't post a 'why did I score XYZ points below my high or average PT scores?' thread after scores are released.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Snarcasm
Last edited by OrdinarilySkilled on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Please ignore the guy thats taking 3 PTs in 2 days before the test. This is useless/maybe harmful. The day before should be for relaxing but if you want to wake up early (to get used to it) and take a PT (or maybe just 3 sections) in the testing environment, then that's fine.

Just relax the rest of the day and figure out things like making sure you have a watch, snack, pencils etc.

EDIT: I guess he quallified it by saying that strategy isn't for everyone but I still think that person should re-think 3 tests in 2 days before the LSAT too.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:58 pm

people always say not to do a test the day before, but i find whenever i do a test i struggle with time on the 1st section and process information slower than i do on sections 2-5. i don't think it'll be so bad to do one game, one passage and like 5 16-22 LR questions the morning of...?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:02 am

justadude55 wrote:people always say not to do a test the day before, but i find whenever i do a test i struggle with time on the 1st section and process information slower than i do on sections 2-5. i don't think it'll be so bad to do one game, one passage and like 5 16-22 LR questions the morning of...?

That's reasonable as a small amount of warm-up before heading in for the test if you really need to kick start your brain into LSAT gear before heading into the test center.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:05 am

it is also very easy to run into the tendency to double check your answers on questions 1-10 in LR. major killer.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 am

so... consensus is that it's nothing fatal? im thinking PT59 (iduno PT60 the day before seems like a recipe for unnecessary stress, I'll probably take this one the week prior).

rbhesser

Postby rbhesser » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 am

I wouldn't consider it fatal. Last year, I thought like the 3 PT guy. I had been taking PTs everyday and kept that up the week of the test. Stupid, stupid idea. I freaked out and my scores kept dropping, until I took the test and got my lowest score of all. This year, I plan on taking 2 tests the week of the test: Monday & Wednesday. and then use Thursday and Friday as one or two section days just to keep the mind going. I'll warm-up Saturday morning with a games section and a handful of LR. I've noticed that when I take a day or two off, my mind feels really fresh and I am able to attack the test with more vigor. So I developed a schedule to allow for that.

3 PT guy, I would reconsider if I were you. It's important to be confident going in to the test, but don't get cocky. It's a fine line. What you're not considering is the fact that you could possibly have a bad score on your last PT. You are going to want time to review and up your confidence before the test. And trying to do all of that the day before could lead to mental fatigue.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:02 pm

rbhesser wrote:I wouldn't consider it fatal. Last year, I thought like the 3 PT guy. I had been taking PTs everyday and kept that up the week of the test. Stupid, stupid idea. I freaked out and my scores kept dropping, until I took the test and got my lowest score of all. This year, I plan on taking 2 tests the week of the test: Monday & Wednesday. and then use Thursday and Friday as one or two section days just to keep the mind going. I'll warm-up Saturday morning with a games section and a handful of LR. I've noticed that when I take a day or two off, my mind feels really fresh and I am able to attack the test with more vigor. So I developed a schedule to allow for that.

3 PT guy, I would reconsider if I were you. It's important to be confident going in to the test, but don't get cocky. It's a fine line. What you're not considering is the fact that you could possibly have a bad score on your last PT. You are going to want time to review and up your confidence before the test. And trying to do all of that the day before could lead to mental fatigue.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

It baffles me how hard it is sometimes to convince people of common sense stuff regarding the importance of being as relaxed as possible, well rested and re-charged/re-energized for optimal test day performance. It seems like a duh obvious no brainer issue but people pop up every cycle claiming that doing the extreme practice tests thing to totally wear themselves out in the last few days before taking the test is going to help somehow.

I've noticed from experience that a LOT of people that think it is a good idea to plow through as many PT's timed as possible leading right up to the test and actually do that are also the ones that try various things to 'supplement' or artificially 'enhance' their performance abilities. Loading up on redbull or other legal stimulants more than usual for the test is one part of that group.

The other main part of the group is the people that start taking adderall/related Rx drugs to try to hopefully get increased energy/concentration to help them get a higher score than they could without it. Unfortunately that doesn't turn out to work and sucks for them, they'll see when scores are released. Seriously, without heavy stimulants how else could you have the energy to concentrate hard enough to take 2 timed PT's in one day along with having time and energy to do other normal life things and fit in time to review the tests?

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Jeffort wrote:Seriously, without heavy stimulants how else could you have the energy to concentrate hard enough to take 2 timed PT's in one day along with having time and energy to do other normal life things and fit in time to review the tests?

Huh? Do you have a job? Mine is relatively non-stressful and I use a lot less brain power on a saturday with two PTs than on a given work day and I don't need heavy stimulants to get through either of them, neither does most people.
If your tutoring people for the lsat you have experience with a certain set of people - those that need to be tutored. So obviously the "a LOT" of people you've dealt with are going to be biased a certain way. Expand your mind.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”