RC: how much context do you read for detail questions?

epark84

RC: how much context do you read for detail questions?

Postby epark84 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I have been using a marking system to manage the text as I read various reading comprehension passages. So often when I encounter a detail question, I can track down the area where I need to look for the specific answer (i.e. a question about a specific term, or person). But how much context do you review (before and after a line) in order to answer the question?

Lately I have noticed that I have made a few errors by only reading the immediate context (one sentence before), when the answer required looking at the function of a term or person within the paragraph as a whole. I already feel very constrained to finish the section on time, so I'm not sure the best way to handle this. Thoughts? Suggestions?

JJDancer

Re: RC: how much context do you read for detail questions?

Postby JJDancer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:30 pm

It depends how much you remember but MOST of the time, you need to skim the paragraph to get the right perspective.
For example a question asked "subjectivists advance which of the following claims to support their charge that objectivism is faulty?"
A) objectivism rests on evidence that conflicts with the data on introspection
B) objectivism restricts the kinds of experience from which philosophers may draw knowledge

The passage says : "Philosophers loyal to subjectivity are not persuaded by appeals to science when such appeals conflict with the data gathered by introspection"

This might make one think that the answer is A but in fact the next sentence of the passage states "Knowledge, they argue, relies on the data of experience, which includes subjective experience." Making B the clearly correct choice.

Short answer: Read around. Skim the whole paragraph (if its 10-12 lines) that refers to it so you understand the context and/or the POINT they are trying to make with that sentence.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 am

agreed.

unless you know you remember it -- about finding that balance between trusting yourself and knowing when you're not sure.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:36 am

Im going to try reading to pickup tone/modifier words/arguments rather than detail. I usually end up going back to the passage to look for details anyway so why waste time trying to focus on specific details if I can learn where to look for them....

epark84

Postby epark84 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 am

right it sounds like I need to spend less time debating the answer choices, and instead, quickly skim through more context to find the only choice. thanks for the feedback

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”