Losing hope... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
whymeohgodno

Gold

Losing hope...

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:34 am

Been studying for a while. RC seems a steady -4 with some small variations.

LG can range from anywhere from -0 to -5.

LR seems to range from -1 to -4.

It's getting depressing. I've used up too many of the recent preptests early on without studying or reviewing much. I usually scored around a 167 on PT 50-60. The last 3 PT's that I took which were 54 55 and 60 were 171 174 170.

I've scored above 170 many times after those 3 tests but the scores seem to be tainted since I used the Kaplan mastery books too much. It seems whenever I pick up a preptest I've seen most of the logic games before and sometimes I see a few LR question that I recognize. RC passages aren't a big problem since I didn't really do any RC practice outside of the preptests.

I really wanted at least a 169 to give me a good shot at Cornell with a current gpa of 3.78 (since I have weak softs). However, it seems that almost invariably people score a few points lower on the real tests as opposed to practice ones.

This is pretty much an emo thread. I'm being a little bitch and crying because I was a dumbass and used recent preptests/materials without being fully motivated. Now whenever I take a preptest, when I get a good score it seems tainted and when I get a bad score it feels even worse.

Now flame away. I find that when I get flamed I come out of emo mode. I want to stop feeling like a bitch.

thesybarite

Bronze

Re: Losing hope...

Post by thesybarite » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:24 am

Awwww...I just feel sad for you :cry:

Ummm do you have the powerscore bibles? Can you do them instead of pts for a bit? Write out the ones you get wrong? I find all of the above really helpful...

want to send kisses but feel they may be misconstrued...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:37 am

What is your average since you actually had everything down? I found that sometimes I missed questions that I have seen before because I try to remember them instead of actually doing them so it usually doesn't help. Also, a 168 will get you into Cornell probably, maybe even a 167.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:41 am

Patriot1208 wrote:What is your average since you actually had everything down? I found that sometimes I missed questions that I have seen before because I try to remember them instead of actually doing them so it usually doesn't help. Also, a 168 will get you into Cornell probably, maybe even a 167.
I doubt it. And I would say average would be around a 169-170 since I first hit 170.

My softs are really weak. I'm expecting a WL with a 168. A 169 should hopefully get me in...but too many horror stories about how almost everyone drops a few points on the real thing.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:46 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:What is your average since you actually had everything down? I found that sometimes I missed questions that I have seen before because I try to remember them instead of actually doing them so it usually doesn't help. Also, a 168 will get you into Cornell probably, maybe even a 167.
I doubt it. And I would say average would be around a 169-170 since I first hit 170.

My softs are really weak. I'm expecting a WL with a 168. A 169 should hopefully get me in...but too many horror stories about how almost everyone drops a few points on the real thing.
Everyone on LSN with above a 3.7 and a 168 got accepted last year. Everyone. Don't be so down. Also, people talk about the drop but if you look at old threads about actual drops at least half the people score the same or a little better than their average. Look I'm a 168 average as well and i'm pissed because all I want is a 170 but I honestly think that test day I'll knock that shit out of the water. And if not I'll retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:48 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Everyone on LSN with above a 3.7 and a 168 got accepted last year. Everyone. Don't be so down. Also, people talk about the drop but if you look at old threads about actual drops at least half the people score the same or a little better than their average. Look I'm a 168 average as well and i'm pissed because all I want is a 170 but I honestly think that test day I'll knock that shit out of the water. And if not I'll retake.
I'm really not exaggerating when I say I have weak softs. Think of the weakest softs possible. Add maybe a single thing to that resume. That's me in a nutshell.

Also I'm getting nervous in part because the recent LG seem to be all screwy. The LG on PT60 really messed me up and made me depressed.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 am

Cambridge LSAT sells a PDF of 410 of the hardest LR questions. You probably have seen some of them, but it's probably worth the 18 bucks or whatever for you. Your RC score is not going to improve much by any amount of preparation between now and the test, your LG looks like it's solid already, so do what you can to minimize how many you miss on LR and hopefully on test day you are looking at a -5 RC, -0 LG, -1-2 LR for a 172-174. That would be my suggestion at least.

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:26 am

2014 wrote:Cambridge LSAT sells a PDF of 410 of the hardest LR questions. You probably have seen some of them, but it's probably worth the 18 bucks or whatever for you. Your RC score is not going to improve much by any amount of preparation between now and the test, your LG looks like it's solid already, so do what you can to minimize how many you miss on LR and hopefully on test day you are looking at a -5 RC, -0 LG, -1-2 LR for a 172-174. That would be my suggestion at least.

Do you think you could provide a link to that PDF? I am searching on the website and can't seem to find it.....

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:37 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 am

2014 wrote:Cambridge LSAT sells a PDF of 410 of the hardest LR questions. You probably have seen some of them, but it's probably worth the 18 bucks or whatever for you. Your RC score is not going to improve much by any amount of preparation between now and the test, your LG looks like it's solid already, so do what you can to minimize how many you miss on LR and hopefully on test day you are looking at a -5 RC, -0 LG, -1-2 LR for a 172-174. That would be my suggestion at least.
Thanks. I already have every preptest though so I'm not sure how much that will help.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:14 am

If you have taken every preptest, or at least gone through all of the 6,000+ questions that are in them, why do you think you will suffer a test day drop? You are going to be more prepared than fundamentally everyone in the room with you and are more prepared than even 90% of people on this forum which pre-selects for overachievers.

If you have taken the tests in fairly accurate conditions and are comfortable with your nerves, which you should be given that you have seen essentially every LSAT question for the last 20 years, I think you will be fine. You are PTing at a score you would be happy with, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:40 pm

2014 wrote:If you have taken every preptest, or at least gone through all of the 6,000+ questions that are in them, why do you think you will suffer a test day drop? You are going to be more prepared than fundamentally everyone in the room with you and are more prepared than even 90% of people on this forum which pre-selects for overachievers.

If you have taken the tests in fairly accurate conditions and are comfortable with your nerves, which you should be given that you have seen essentially every LSAT question for the last 20 years, I think you will be fine. You are PTing at a score you would be happy with, I don't think you have too much to worry about.
Well I have every preptest. I haven't done every test though.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:42 pm

You'll be fine. Relax. Youre in a good situation right now. Just keep working. Most importantly, go over your mistakes. Really understand why you got the question wrong, why you chose the wrong answer over the right one, etc etc.

Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:43 pm

gdane5 wrote:You'll be fine. Relax. Youre in a good situation right now. Just keep working. Most importantly, go over your mistakes. Really understand why you got the question wrong, why you chose the wrong answer over the right one, etc etc.

Good luck!
More importantly, Cornell medians went up.

Cornell
2010: 3.70 / 168
2009: 3.63 / 167

Time to kill myself?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

No because being at the median is not a guarantee that you'll be admitted and likewise being under the median isnt a guarantee that you'll be rejected. Just keep working and you'll get there. Youre not that far off.

Also, why Cornell? Its so icky up there...

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:48 pm

gdane5 wrote:No because being at the median is not a guarantee that you'll be admitted and likewise being under the median isnt a guarantee that you'll be rejected. Just keep working and you'll get there. Youre not that far off.

I already go to school in upstate NY. I also love cold weather. Also I love NY and I don't mind Ithaca.

Also it's the t14 with the lowest median lsat. Lols.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
gdane5 wrote:You'll be fine. Relax. Youre in a good situation right now. Just keep working. Most importantly, go over your mistakes. Really understand why you got the question wrong, why you chose the wrong answer over the right one, etc etc.

Good luck!

Cornell

Time to kill myself?
You are already above median for GPA. Get a 168, you will get in if you apply early. No one cares that you watched TV every spare moment you had in undergrad. At least you have that 3.8. Right now my fucking GPA is in a steady downfall due to my upper level classes being much more math based, me not being a math person, and the fact that i now work 30 hrs a week and am studying fot the LSAT. My GPA has gone from 3.81 after 3 semesters to 3.71 after 6. And it could get worse.

I also planned on getting an Ibanking job after graduation before law school, well with how poorly I am doing in my upper level finance classes this isn't looking so great. So I may be unemployed and not in a t10 law school.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:50 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
gdane5 wrote:No because being at the median is not a guarantee that you'll be admitted and likewise being under the median isnt a guarantee that you'll be rejected. Just keep working and you'll get there. Youre not that far off.

I already go to school in upstate NY. I also love cold weather. Also I love NY and I don't mind Ithaca.

Also it's the t14 with the lowest median lsat. Lols.
I love cold weather too, but no way in hell would I go live in Ithaca. I dont care that its a top 14.

You'll be fine. Really. Dont be so negative. Your PT scores have been close to where you want to be. Theres still plenty of time and you'll reach the 170s.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Good luck!

Cornell

Time to kill myself?
You are already above median for GPA. Get a 168, you will get in if you apply early. No one cares that you watched TV every spare moment you had in undergrad. At least you have that 3.8. Right now my fucking GPA is in a steady downfall due to my upper level classes being much more math based, me not being a math person, and the fact that i now work 30 hrs a week and am studying fot the LSAT. My GPA has gone from 3.81 after 3 semesters to 3.71 after 6. And it could get worse.
3.78* with my senior year left.

I saw on LSN people with a 168 getting rejected though :(.

Also lol at watching tv part. So totally true except that it was more like too much internet.

I can't see how a Cornell adcomm would take me over someone with maybe a bit lower gpa though. Seriously, I mean 0 softs. That has to hurt. I regret my laziness.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:57 pm

F* LSN! LSN isnt the end all be all of LSAT admissions. Sure it gives you somewhat of an idea of where admissions went/are going, but its still very much not a complete sample size of applicants and acceptances.

Again, keep working and you'll get there. Also, Cornell can take whoever the hell they want. If they decide that theyre going to take the kid with a 3.78 and a 168 with no softs over a kid with a 3.8 and a 170, thats on them. They can do that if they want. So, dont "lose hope".

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:00 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Good luck!

Cornell

Time to kill myself?
3.78* with my senior year left.

I saw on LSN people with a 168 getting rejected though :(.

Also lol at watching tv part. So totally true except that it was more like too much internet.

I can't see how a Cornell adcomm would take me over someone with maybe a bit lower gpa though. Seriously, I mean 0 softs. That has to hurt. I regret my laziness.
Did you look at LSN? 1 person above a 3.7 and a 168 got rejected. Out of like 25 people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rso11

Bronze

Post by rso11 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Does this book have explanations or just the answers?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Right, out of 25. Im sure that hundreds of people with scores similar to the ones you mentioned applied and Im sure that more than 1 person was rejected. LSN is very self selecting. I would say that high scorers tend to be more reluctant to post their rejections because they dont want to feel inadequate/embarrased. So, that 1 rejection out of 25 doesnt mean that anything near/above that score is an auto admit.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:11 pm

gdane5 wrote:Right, out of 25. Im sure that hundreds of people with scores similar to the ones you mentioned applied and Im sure that more than 1 person was rejected. LSN is very self selecting. I would say that high scorers tend to be more reluctant to post their rejections because they dont want to feel inadequate/embarrased. So, that 1 rejection out of 25 doesnt mean that anything near/above that score is an auto admit.
Are you that stupid? Honestly, were you dropped on your head as a child? Of course more then 1 was rejected, it was clear I was talking about people listed on LSN. And of course it isn't auto admit, but LSN has proven over and over again to be as close to an accurate guide as we have. 1 out of 25 on LSN was rejected it stands to reason OP has an extremely good chance.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Right, out of 25. Im sure that hundreds of people with scores similar to the ones you mentioned applied and Im sure that more than 1 person was rejected. LSN is very self selecting. I would say that high scorers tend to be more reluctant to post their rejections because they dont want to feel inadequate/embarrased. So, that 1 rejection out of 25 doesnt mean that anything near/above that score is an auto admit.
Are you that stupid? Honestly, were you dropped on your head as a child? Of course more then 1 was rejected, it was clear I was talking about people listed on LSN. And of course it isn't auto admit, but LSN has proven over and over again to be as close to an accurate guide as we have. 1 out of 25 on LSN was rejected it stands to reason OP has an extremely good chance.
Of course he does. I believe he'll get in to his school. The way you worded it, by saying "only 1 person above 3.7 and 168 was rejected" made it seem as if though you were saying that anything over those numbers is auto admit and anything under isnt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”