Drilling well, but not PT'ing as well? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kpuc

Bronze

Drilling well, but not PT'ing as well?

Post by kpuc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:14 pm

I've gotten to the point where if I do a drill of LR sections under timed conditions, I usually only get -1 per section. I will usually do two LR sections back-to-back, and get -0 or -2 as a total score.

However, whenever I do a PT, I will usually do twice as worse, averaging about -5. And I know it's not really due to mental fatigue, because often, LR will be the first section, and I'll get -3 or -4 wrong.

These drills have informed me that I have the full capacity to ace LR sections. However, I have not come close to doing so on a PT. The expected answer might be that it's due to mental fatigue, but even when there shouldn't be any fatigue - such as when the LR section is the first section of a PT, I do noticeably worse on a PT than on a drill. I'm starting to think it's because I just don't like PTs. They take up almost 4 hours of my time, and they don't count for anything. It's not that I don't want to do my very best on PTs, because I really do, but in my head, I just don't think I can give it my all.

I'm just frustrated because with my LR drilling, I feel like I should be doing better on LR than I currently am. I know that I can get every single question right. So why is it that when it's PT time, I blow it? I pretty much have to plan my day around my PTs, and I usually just get pissed off at the end because I never seem to do as well as I'm capable of. I can't help but think of my SAT prepping. On test day, I scored 50 points above my highest, and about 100 points above my PT average.

If I'm acing drills, should I remain reasonably happy and not let my comparatively disappointing PTs get me in a bad mood?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: Drilling well, but not PT'ing as well?

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:20 pm

kpuc wrote:I've gotten to the point where if I do a drill of LR sections under timed conditions, I usually only get -1 per section. I will usually do two LR sections back-to-back, and get -0 or -2 as a total score.

However, whenever I do a PT, I will usually do twice as worse, averaging about -5. And I know it's not really due to mental fatigue, because often, LR will be the first section, and I'll get -3 or -4 wrong.

These drills have informed me that I have the full capacity to ace LR sections. However, I have not come close to doing so on a PT. The expected answer might be that it's due to mental fatigue, but even when there shouldn't be any fatigue - such as when the LR section is the first section of a PT, I do noticeably worse on a PT than on a drill. I'm starting to think it's because I just don't like PTs. They take up almost 4 hours of my time, and they don't count for anything. It's not that I don't want to do my very best on PTs, because I really do, but in my head, I just don't think I can give it my all.

I'm just frustrated because with my LR drilling, I feel like I should be doing better on LR than I currently am. I know that I can get every single question right. So why is it that when it's PT time, I blow it? I pretty much have to plan my day around my PTs, and I usually just get pissed off at the end because I never seem to do as well as I'm capable of. I can't help but think of my SAT prepping. On test day, I scored 50 points above my highest, and about 100 points above my PT average.

If I'm acing drills, should I remain reasonably happy and not let my comparatively disappointing PTs get me in a bad mood?
No. If you can't do well on PT's you most likely won't do well on the real thing.

It has to be mental fatigue. That is the only reason. Just get used to building up your endurance. Even if you don't feel fatigue, it is probably fatigue.

Also why are your PT's almost 4 hours? 5 sections + 10 minute break isn't close to 4 hours. And there is no need to practice writing sections (lol).

cornell

Bronze

Re: Drilling well, but not PT'ing as well?

Post by cornell » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:48 am

I think you should seriously focus on taking 5 section PTs instead of doing single or double sections. The real deal is not like a drill, it tests your mental endurance as well as your ability to stay calm and focused for long periods of time.

I could easily get 100% accuracy for pretty much every LG section I do as a drill, but when it goes into a real PT, I usually miss 1 to 2 problems. There's a huge difference mentally.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”