*click*

ElvisAaron

*click*

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:07 pm

After banging my head against the wall with LR for quite some time with no progress, I took over a week away from PTs and focused on drilling every question type. I did a few "difficult" rated examples of each type nightly, open book, with the LR Bible.
Then I made an excel study sheet listing each type, the method of attack, keywords to recognize the type, and what to watch out for.
Then I went through some old PTs and did nothing but read the stim and write what the question type and what the method of attack is next to it from memory, and then checked it against my study sheet.
Previously on LR I was typically -5 to -8 overall.
After doing the above drills, when I took PT#54, the answers were just jumping out at me. Whereas in the past I would usually narrow it down to two possible answers on the tough ones and then sort of guess, this time I could clearly find why one was wrong and one was right. LR was also always good for about 2 to 3 misses due to the "dumb mistakes" everyone talks about. I had none of these problems, because I was attacking the question the right way every time in a strict fashion. End result was -1LR overall.
Felt like it clicked, hope it sticks! PT #55 on Wednesday.

Side note- I still only got a 170 because I bombed LG after neglecting it for weeks! Guess that one really is a "use it or lose it".

Update: -2LR on PT#55
Last edited by ElvisAaron on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m3taphysician

Re: *click*

Postby m3taphysician » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:18 pm

The same happened to me, just with LGs. I used to get somewhere between 50-75% correct for MONTHS, but now all of a sudden everything makes sense (last three tests: 23/23, 22/23. 23/23).

It's a great feeling.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:47 pm

could you show some more examples of this spreadsheet you created? It sounds like a good idea, recently ive been tracking the exact nature of errors on LR in addition to simply what kind of question I missed. I will be going back through the LR bible soon for a refresher.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Sandro777 wrote:could you show some more examples of this spreadsheet you created? It sounds like a good idea, recently ive been tracking the exact nature of errors on LR in addition to simply what kind of question I missed. I will be going back through the LR bible soon for a refresher.

Its just a simple sheet with individual rows for each question type and then columns for "question type indicators", "method of attack", "watch out for" and "notes". Its easy to fill out the columns with the LR Bible in hand.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:41 pm

if you could post the spreadsheet I'd like to see it thanks

spets

Postby spets » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:28 am

arean.ryan wrote:if you could post the spreadsheet I'd like to see it thanks

I also think it would help me a lot :)

mb87

Postby mb87 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet idea! I'm going to try this. Games finally "clicked" for me a couple of weeks ago, but apparently they've since unclicked. Might just be fatigue, but it's very frustrating. I'm hoping that taking the time to make the spreadsheet will allow me to be more focused and less terrified of this section.

mrvinyl007

Postby mrvinyl007 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:51 pm

I think I have a general idea of what you did. Sounds extremely helpful though. Like yourself, my hardest section is LR. But if you could upload teh spreadsheet, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Bill99 wrote:After banging my head against the wall with LR for quite some time with no progress, I took over a week away from PTs and focused on drilling every question type. I did a few "difficult" rated examples of each type nightly, open book, with the LR Bible.
Then I made an excel study sheet listing each type, the method of attack, keywords to recognize the type, and what to watch out for.
Then I went through some old PTs and did nothing but read the stim and write what the question type and what the method of attack is next to it from memory, and then checked it against my study sheet.
Previously on LR I was typically -5 to -8 overall.
After doing the above drills, when I took PT#54, the answers were just jumping out at me. Whereas in the past I would usually narrow it down to two possible answers on the tough ones and then sort of guess, this time I could clearly find why one was wrong and one was right. LR was also always good for about 2 to 3 misses due to the "dumb mistakes" everyone talks about. I had none of these problems, because I was attacking the question the right way every time in a strict fashion. End result was -1LR overall.
Felt like it clicked, hope it sticks! PT #55 on Wednesday.

Side note- I still only got a 170 because I bombed LG after neglecting it for weeks! Guess that one really is a "use it or lose it".

dude same exact thing happened to me like two or three weeks ago. i took two days to drill the hell out of LR, and then something just clicked. i was also missing 5 to 8 total and, poof it dropped. for instance on my last pt i went -1 total LR. after that drilling period my LGs also dropped, however two days hitting them hard and they were back where i wanted them to be (I now have 5 PTs in a row with -0LG).

the only thing i would say is beware of continuing to drill those LRs too hard. i went into a mini remission (two PTs where i went -4 and -5 overall) because i had been drilling LR so hard that my mind no longer wanted to read the stimuli, and i found myself losing valuable time reading and re-reading because nothing would sink in.

now that you've had this breakthrough try to take it easier on those LRs. it seems to me that unlike LG, which like you said seems to be use it or lose it, LR is more intuitive, and once you make that breakthrough and line your thinking up with that of the test makers, it is probably not beneficial to keep drilling it like your life depends on it.

just my 2¢.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Happy to post it if someone can tell me how!

spets

Postby spets » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Bill99 wrote:Happy to post it if someone can tell me how!

This is just one of many sites you can use (no need for an account). Just upload the file and post the link!

http://www.mediafire.com/

Thanks!

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:34 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?p5r1wkk1q44wazo

let me know if it works.
Couple things I'd like to point out-
-If you dont have or havent read the LRB, this is probably not going to be super useful. Its very simplistic, assuming you just need some key items and concepts to refresh what you learned in the bible.
-This was designed for my own use, it wasn't made with universal use intent in mind, its nothing spectacular. It helped me (with the method I detailed in the OP) and if it helps you, great. If not, oh well. At least I wont have to worry about you messing up the curve.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:42 pm

This is excellent.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks Bill, this is a great example of the power of brevity.

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:53 pm

I think I'm in love. This is what Lois Lane must have felt like when superman saved her :P

crislaw

Postby crislaw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:00 am

awesome bill, thanks so much for sharing!!! :P

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”