Does being absent for LSAT look bad to law schools?

ScoobySkills

Does being absent for LSAT look bad to law schools?

Postby ScoobySkills » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:57 am

I previously took the June test, but there were problems at my testing center due to less than optimal testing conditions. So I cancelled my score. I then signed up for the October test, but I know I'm still not fully prepared. I tried to change my test date online last night, before the 12 AM deadline, but the website wouldn't let me change the date. I called LSAC today and they said that deadline has passed and there's nothing they can do. Will being absent look bad at my report? Will it affect how many times I can take the LSAT in a given period?

LSAT Blog

Re: Does being absent for LSAT look bad to law schools?

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am

Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties on LSAC's website. Looks like Skynet is up to its old tricks.

One absence is nothing to be concerned about. Being absent will not affect the number of times (3) you can take the LSAT in a 2-year period.

Some thoughts on deciding whether to show up and cancel or be absent after missing the postponement deadline.

plenipotentiary

Re: Does being absent for LSAT look bad to law schools?

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:25 am

You canceled in June because of less than optimal testing conditions, but now, several months later, you're not prepared? Doesn't that mean you weren't prepared in June, either? Was part of the less than optimal testing conditions perhaps that you were not prepared? :)

I don't think a single absence looks bad to law schools. But you already have a cancellation, and if you take an absence in October, I think that puts a lot of pressure on you for the next time. You would have already used both of your get-out-of-jail-free cards. What if you get really sick the night before the December test? You could be looking at a cancel-absence-absence (pretty fishy), or a cancel-absence-bad score-retake (at which point you would be out of attempts to take the LSAT).

I guess it also depends on what you mean by unprepared. Are you not scoring in the range you need to get into the schools you intend to apply to?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”