LSAT Essay TYPED on a computer, just like GRE essay?

ComatoseClown

LSAT Essay TYPED on a computer, just like GRE essay?

Postby ComatoseClown » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:14 am

As you all probably know, the other graduate examination, the GRE, now offers the ability to take a computerized version of the test, allowing you to type the Essay on a computer. I'm still new to the LSAT world -- does it already exist with the LSAT essay? If not, when do you think it'll come into play? It would be sooo nice if it existed. There's a huge disparity in my writing product when when it's handwritten versus typed. I type 113 WPM and manuscript at not even half of this.
Last edited by ComatoseClown on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Re: LSAT Essay TYPED on a computer, just like GRE essay?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 am

LSAT essay doesn't matter. You should be glad the test isn't computerized. Imagine now being able to underline/circle passages/questions. It would be terrifying.

ComatoseClown

Postby ComatoseClown » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:17 am

It doesn't matter towards calculating the score, BUT many top law schools (like Stanford) will read your LSAT essay and use it in their admissions evaluation. Which means it still matters, doesn't it?
(Not that I'm Stanford caliber -- I'm shooting for Top 30.)

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:18 am

ComatoseClown wrote:It doesn't matter towards calculating the score, BUT many top law schools (like Stanford) see it and read it. Which means it still matters, doesn't it?
(Not that I'm Stanford caliber -- I'm shooting for Top 30.)

Unless you write a really bad essay it is negligible. Seriously. Don't worry about it.

Edit: By really bad I mean almost incoherent or just pure nonsense.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 am

they give you more than enough time to write out a concise essay. If you run out of time then you're either writing way too much or you are just slow, in which case law school isn't for you.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 am

The writing sample won't get you into any law school, but it can certainly get you dinged. Just keep it simple, write concisely, and don't use a word unless you are 100% sure of its definition and spelling.

And don't draw a sketch of a unicorn instead of writing the essay. That will get you dinged, too.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 am

sundance95 wrote:The writing sample won't get you into any law school, but it can certainly get you dinged. Just keep it simple, write concisely, and don't use a word unless you are 100% sure of its definition and spelling.

And don't draw a sketch of a unicorn instead of writing the essay. That will get you dinged, too.

I wonder what would be better. 170 with a concise essay or 180 with a doodle.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:38 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
sundance95 wrote:The writing sample won't get you into any law school, but it can certainly get you dinged. Just keep it simple, write concisely, and don't use a word unless you are 100% sure of its definition and spelling.

I wonder what would be better. 170 with a concise essay or 180 with a doodle.

I'd guess a 170 with a good essay. A doodle shows that you either can't read directions, or that you're not taking the process seriously.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:51 am

This is getting me nervous... I was braindead by the time we reached the essay. I'm pretty sure most of what I wrote was incoherent and redundant.

ComatoseClown

Postby ComatoseClown » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:48 am

Lol, I can't believe there's people out there who would actually doodle on the biggest exam of their life (excluding of course the Bar).

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:08 am

ComatoseClown wrote:Lol, I can't believe there's people out there who would actually doodle on the biggest exam of their life (excluding of course the Bar).

This is getting off topic (but thats okay b/c its a stupid topic), but I thought it would be pretty awesome to just write 180, or perhaps one-eighty or one hundred and eighty, in the essay and then actually score a 180. I mean, law schools would have to respect the ballsiness of it, no?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:11 am

I don't believe for a second that these actual get read by anyone ever.

I'm 50/50 on whether most schools read personal statements. Definitely convinced a few schools put them in automated computer PS readers that scan for curse words and racism.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:10 am

D. H2Oman wrote:I don't believe for a second that these actual get read by anyone ever.

I'm 50/50 on whether most schools read personal statements. Definitely convinced a few schools put them in automated computer PS readers that scan for curse words and racism.

Trolling

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:19 am

Law schools have all sorts of high tech machines and computers at their disposal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had an LSAT essay reading robot. I'm just saying, be careful.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 am

D. H2Oman wrote:I don't believe for a second that these actual get read by anyone ever.

I am extremely convinced that they fully read your PS only when your numbers aren't auto-admit, otherwise they probably glance over it. I concur that the essay portion of the lsat probably never gets read. Maybe glanced over in the worst case.

ComatoseClown

Postby ComatoseClown » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:45 am

Honestly though, I seriously wonder why law schools would not want to see how well we can make a case for a claim and defend it. Nowhere else do they see this on the application: not in the Personal Statement, not through your GPA, and obviously not through recommendations written by someone else.

I mean, wouldn't the LSAT essay appeal to law school admissions directors, because again, the kind of writing required is unlike our personal statement in that it allows us to showcase any potential legal nascency we might have, does it not?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:52 am

ComatoseClown wrote:the kind of writing required is unlike our personal statement in that it allows us to showcase any potential legal nascency we might have, does it not?

Not really

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 am

Write the essay in exactly 180 words and include a few additional lettter mis-spellings that when put together spell out "One Eighty".

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 am

mbusch22 wrote:they give you more than enough time to write out a concise essay. If you run out of time then you're either writing way too much or you are just slow, in which case law school isn't for you.

This is bullshit. I filled the entire space on mine and still didn't have room to completely analyze the problem.

That said, I don't really think they read them either. But who knows? Just do your best on it.

And back to the original question, no, you have to handwrite it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”