Evaluate my options for either the Oct. or Dec. Test

jacko
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:00 am

Evaluate my options for either the Oct. or Dec. Test

Postby jacko » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm currently enrolled to take the October exam and today is the final day to reschedule for December. I've been studying for about a month and a half and my latest practice score under testing conditions was a 164. Like everyone else on this site, I'm shooting for the T14 so with my GPA (3.85 +) I probably need a 167 or 168 to even have a chance even applying ED. My question is that which option would you choose if you were me:

1. Stay enrolled in the October test and study like a mad man to try to get into the upper 160's. The downside to this is the pressure of knowing that I have to perform up to my maximum potential to achieve my goals. Also, if I'm not ready then I either have to cancel my score, retake, or no show and none of those options sound good to me.

2. Reshedule for December and hope to possibly even get into the 170's. The upside to this is I might not even have to apply ED and I could possibly get into a T6. The downside is that I might get burnt out and actually regress.

If anybody has a constructive opinion of what they would do and why I would love to hear it.


jacko
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Evaluate my options for either the Oct. or Dec. Test

Postby jacko » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:31 pm



Thanks for the response and these look like valuable threads but I was also looking for advice specific to my particular situation so if anybody has any opinions I would love to hear them.

Kurst
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: Evaluate my options for either the Oct. or Dec. Test

Postby Kurst » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:00 pm

The concise summary of those threads is advice applicable to your situation: Take the test when you are ready. You are not ready. Will you be ready in twenty days? You have been studying for less than two months and already you are scoring in the 90th percentile. You are capable of a 170. With your GPA, you are capable of getting into every law school in the country. Why rush the second half of the equation and jeopardize your future?

jacko
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Evaluate my options for either the Oct. or Dec. Test

Postby jacko » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:33 pm

Kurst wrote:The concise summary of those threads is advice applicable to your situation: Take the test when you are ready. You are not ready. Will you be ready in twenty days? You have been studying for less than two months and already you are scoring in the 90th percentile. You are capable of a 170. With your GPA, you are capable of getting into every law school in the country. Why rush the second half of the equation and jeopardize your future?


I think you're probably right. Does anyone else have any words of wisdom?

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Evaluate my options for either the Oct. or Dec. Test

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:11 pm

i'm in the same situation you're in.. I'd rather take it in DEC though.. here's why..

.I was getting really stressed out taking sometimes 2 PT's a day.
Id rather take the extra time and get the highest possible score, instead of getting 164 and later know i couldve gotten a lot higher.

User avatar
rbhesser
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Evaluate my options for either the Oct. or Dec. Test

Postby rbhesser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:51 pm

I decided on the Oct. test. I'm not quite satisfied with my scores (ranging between 168-173) but I'm studying the tests and figuring out what I'm missing. For me, most of it is just losing focus, there's not really an aspect of the test that I can say I don't understand. I feel like by pushing it to December, I'm going to get tired of studying. Also, I already pushed back law school a year, and I refuse to do that again. I would rather bust my ass the next few weeks and get the LSAT out of the way, so that my apps can go earlier. I'm really hoping for $$ as well, so that was another factor in my decision. You have to go with what's comfortable for you though. And I know the idea of throwing money away sucks, but you might consider going for October and if you absolutely aren't ready then pulling a no-show. It's better than a cancel or bad score.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Bing [Bot], dontsaywhatyoumean, jen203, PRinNYC, rinkrat19, Tazewell and 19 guests