Quick quest - PT55, RC, Q12

MissLucky

Quick quest - PT55, RC, Q12

Postby MissLucky » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:15 pm

I understand that the answer is (C) here (and I did indeed pick it), but isn't (A) true as well? This is my reasoning:

Lines 10-12 in Passage A state "Impacts on wildlife have not been well studied, but serious reductions in waterfowl and aquatic furbearer productivity have been observed."

This, to me, is presenting evidence that directly counters the following claim made in passage B in lines 55-58:
"The impact of purple loosestrife on furbearing mammals is discussed at great length, though none of the species highlighted (muskrat, mink) can be considered threatened in North America."

Doesn't this contrast fit (A)?

Thanks in advance!

amkid100

Re: Quick quest - PT55, RC, Q12

Postby amkid100 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:08 pm

MissLucky wrote:I understand that the answer is (C) here (and I did indeed pick it), but isn't (A) true as well? This is my reasoning:

Lines 10-12 in Passage A state "Impacts on wildlife have not been well studied, but serious reductions in waterfowl and aquatic furbearer productivity have been observed."

This, to me, is presenting evidence that directly counters the following claim made in passage B in lines 55-58:
"The impact of purple loosestrife on furbearing mammals is discussed at great length, though none of the species highlighted (muskrat, mink) can be considered threatened in North America."

Doesn't this contrast fit (A)?

Thanks in advance!

The statement in passage b mentions that none of the species OVERALL have been threatened, whereas passage a only mentions the PRODUCTIVITY of the furbearer species. it is possible for the productivity of a species to be reduced without affecting the species overall. These two statements don't exactly contradict each other.

Not to hijack the thread..but does anyone have ideas about Q6, 16 and 21? This was the first RC that I got more than -2 wrong in a long time and I'm kind of nervous now!

MissLucky

Re: Quick quest - PT55, RC, Q12

Postby MissLucky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:51 pm

aha. very good point. thank you!

what specific issues did you have with those 3 questions?

very briefly, though:
for 6, support can be found in lines 48-52
for 16, (C)'s "partially idiosyncratic" refers to the distinction the author makes between Kingston's thematic storytelling memory processes and print-oriented culture's memory processes based on precise sequences of words in lines 30-35.
for 21, support can be found in lines 10-11 and lines 20-23 (rampant with emphasis keywords)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”