Can anyone give me some suggestion about how to review RC?

pinkdatura

Can anyone give me some suggestion about how to review RC?

Postby pinkdatura » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:21 am

I did all the pt when I was preparing for jun lsat, and now i am re-doing rc again. Sometimes I made the same mistakes as I did last time, sometimes I did it wrong on entirely different questions.
So i am wondering if any one could kindly give me some suggestion about how to review rc? Re-read the passage? Find out OT, structure and author's tone? Mark which part of passage each answer choice is related to, even for the wrong/tempting ones? Or different approaches for detail/main idea/function/inference questions?

One more question about RC, for most of the passages, it contains argument by featuring two sides. However for some humanity/science passage, largely descriptive, account for one artist or scientist's contribution, or summarizing one project/phenomenon, it is very easy to be bogged into details? Any suggestions what to expect to absorb for the first time reading? what detail you must take in and what you can simply neglect?

Btw, I heard that rc is getting more difficult from pt 46? more detail-oriented? anybody feel this way?

thx

Blumpbeef

Re: Can anyone give me some suggestion about how to review RC?

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Im having trouble with them as well, but I found writing out a couple of words next to each paragraph on the topic and the type of content(ie. Intro, presenting someone elses opinion, rebutting, providing examples, conclusion, etc.) to be helpful in remembering what was going on.

Also, whenever you see a list of things, like "stem cell research can help find a cure for x, y, z, etc." don't bother reading it, just underline stem cells and draw brackets around the list. THen when a question comes up that says "which of the following, according to the passage, can be cured by increased stem cell research"... go back and look at them.

I've also started drawing lines between paragraphs, because they are bunched pretty close together and sometimes it is hard to quickly find out where one starts and ends when you look back to answer a question about a specific paragraph.

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:56 pm

While RC is not my best section I have certainly improved on it by figuring out what's right for me. When I first started studying I was very slow on reading the passages since the information was not as interesting as I would have liked it to be. However, I have "tricked" myself into enjoying the topics and it works. I've also refrained from underlining more than definitions and quoted words and phrases. Identifying the view points (with reference to the tone) of the passage is crucial. That way when you go back to review the passage you can identify the answers quicker within the contexts of the view points. Doing this helps me identify the answer choices easily and when it's time for you to review re-reading the entire passage will not be necessary. I hope this helps...

pinkdatura wrote:I did all the pt when I was preparing for jun lsat, and now i am re-doing rc again. Sometimes I made the same mistakes as I did last time, sometimes I did it wrong on entirely different questions.
So i am wondering if any one could kindly give me some suggestion about how to review rc? Re-read the passage? Find out OT, structure and author's tone? Mark which part of passage each answer choice is related to, even for the wrong/tempting ones? Or different approaches for detail/main idea/function/inference questions?

One more question about RC, for most of the passages, it contains argument by featuring two sides. However for some humanity/science passage, largely descriptive, account for one artist or scientist's contribution, or summarizing one project/phenomenon, it is very easy to be bogged into details? Any suggestions what to expect to absorb for the first time reading? what detail you must take in and what you can simply neglect?

Btw, I heard that rc is getting more difficult from pt 46? more detail-oriented? anybody feel this way?

thx

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:50 pm

I haven't gotten any where close to dominating RC but a few things have certainly helped me along the way. I always save the MP question for last, which helps me have time to develop my understanding of the passage. I step up my reading through a passage to read for themes and structure, highlighting what might be important and understanding I can return to the passage. Insofar as actually reviewing RC mistakes, I have been pointing out what part of the passage contains the right answer and why I chose something else besides it. That has helped me to keep track of the small wording that swayed me away from the credited answer.

Good luck!

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:06 pm

lamentable wrote:I haven't gotten any where close to dominating RC but a few things have certainly helped me along the way. I always save the MP question for last, which helps me have time to develop my understanding of the passage. I step up my reading through a passage to read for themes and structure, highlighting what might be important and understanding I can return to the passage. Insofar as actually reviewing RC mistakes, I have been pointing out what part of the passage contains the right answer and why I chose something else besides it. That has helped me to keep track of the small wording that swayed me away from the credited answer.

Good luck!

If saving the MP question for last actually works for you, that's great. As someone who once struggled with RC years ago, but managed to reach a level where I could consistently answer 20-23 questions correctly (and that is a good level to reach if you are good in the other sections), I must offer some caution.

For most test-takers, attacking the MP question last would be counter-productive. Crystalizing the MP up front actually helps people answer the other questions correctly. Knowing the MP helps eliminate answer choices that could not be correct given the MP. It will also help identify the correct answers to "organization" questions,"expansion" questions, AP, and SP questions more quickly. That's why it's important to identify the MP first. That having been said, not everyone's brain works the same way.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 am

I spent months trying to improve my RC... simple advice: use a highlighter. It did wonders. It keeps you focused on the reading, and moving the reading fast at a controlled pace, while helping you find key items when you go back to the paragraphs later.

rbhesser

Postby rbhesser » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:59 pm

mst wrote:I spent months trying to improve my RC... simple advice: use a highlighter. It did wonders. It keeps you focused on the reading, and moving the reading fast at a controlled pace, while helping you find key items when you go back to the paragraphs later.

I think the same effect can be achieved without the hassle of switching writing utensils. Have you read through the Powerscore RC Bible? I found it to be helpful. The questions can often be broken down much like the LR questions. I also developed my own system of marking through the text (with a pencil) as I read it. It's not a huge amount of marking, but it keeps me focused in on the section and has made a huge difference.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”