Time Management

Blindc1rca

Time Management

Postby Blindc1rca » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:54 pm

I have a slight problem that I feel like I should get under control before test day.

On LR sections I usually finish my first 10 questions in 10 minutes, but then there's usually one between 10 and 15 that I get snagged on, and I end up getting to Q15 after ~17 minutes. Then I usually spend way too much time on one or two more questions between 17 and 23, resulting in me getting to the last 3 questions with perhaps 2 or 3 minutes left on the clock. I'm generally missing 1-2 per LR section, but I feel rushed and panicky at the end, and I feel as though this could possibly mushroom into something ugly on test day. Also, oftentimes the one question that I miss ends up being that verbose Parallel Reasoning question between 22 and 25, precisely because I'm rushed for time.

I'd really like to be able to finish with at least 3 minutes left on the clock to mitigate any unforeseen factors that might come into play when we go live.

Any suggestions on how I can shave off a few minutes?

Re: Time Management

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:09 pm

Is it the parallel reasoning questions that give you trouble? I have problems with the page length parallel ones, and also the ones that ask about a vague principle that the argument conforms to.

If you can identify what kind of questions specifically are your time drain and isolate them, then you can mark them, skip them, and do them at the end so that you are not rushed on questions that should be extremely easy, rather you will have probably 6-7 minutes left at the end for 2-3 time draining questions that you have identified.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Heres what I do...I won't devote more than a minute or so to each question, unless its a question that requires it (par reasoning), if I can't figure it out, ill mark down a best guess, and mark the question to return to later, and move on. If it turns out that you don't have enough time to review, then you made a good decision passing it so you can get more points on later questions without being rushed. If you do have enough time great, and go back and work more on it.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:57 pm

fosterp wrote:Heres what I do...I won't devote more than a minute or so to each question, unless its a question that requires it (par reasoning), if I can't figure it out, ill mark down a best guess, and mark the question to return to later, and move on. If it turns out that you don't have enough time to review, then you made a good decision passing it so you can get more points on later questions without being rushed. If you do have enough time great, and go back and work more on it.

This is what I did - I didn't measure my time, so I'm not sure how long I'd spend before going on, but if I felt utterly stuck on a question for what felt like "too long" I'll mark the best guess and move on. If I feel rushed, I'll also skip the parallel reasoning questions for the end - knowing exactly how much time I had to do 1~2 hard questions at the end was actually less panic-inducing than trying to solve a tricky question when I had 5+ more questions to go afterwards.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:I have a slight problem that I feel like I should get under control before test day.

On LR sections I usually finish my first 10 questions in 10 minutes, but then there's usually one between 10 and 15 that I get snagged on, and I end up getting to Q15 after ~17 minutes. Then I usually spend way too much time on one or two more questions between 17 and 23, resulting in me getting to the last 3 questions with perhaps 2 or 3 minutes left on the clock. I'm generally missing 1-2 per LR section, but I feel rushed and panicky at the end, and I feel as though this could possibly mushroom into something ugly on test day. Also, oftentimes the one question that I miss ends up being that verbose Parallel Reasoning question between 22 and 25, precisely because I'm rushed for time.

I'd really like to be able to finish with at least 3 minutes left on the clock to mitigate any unforeseen factors that might come into play when we go live.

Any suggestions on how I can shave off a few minutes?

The problem is right there. Don't get stuck on problems. If you don't see the answer, just rereading it won't help. Skip it and come back to it later so you can view it with a fresh perspective.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”