PT54 S1 Q10

gerbal
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:42 am

PT54 S1 Q10

Postby gerbal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Hello. I cant seem to find anywhere in the passage where it supports D. Can anyone point me to the right place? Thanks.

gerbal
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:42 am

Re: PT54 S1 Q10

Postby gerbal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:07 pm

I guess it's around line 6-7? I was caught up with the answer choice saying "within or beneath" so tried trying to find instances where shallow was equated with within and deep wells equated with beneath but I think I was overthinking it.

User avatar
EarlCat
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: PT54 S1 Q10

Postby EarlCat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:25 am

gerbal wrote:I guess it's around line 6-7? I was caught up with the answer choice saying "within or beneath" so tried trying to find instances where shallow was equated with within and deep wells equated with beneath but I think I was overthinking it.


Yeah. It's kinda weak support, but if oil weren't found either within or beneath layers of rock, there'd be no reason to drill into them.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: PT54 S1 Q10

Postby MissLucky » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Can someone please explain how (D) in question #8 is supported by one or both of the passages? I realize Passage B does discuss regulation, especially in line 35, but NOWHERE does it say that this is GOVERNMENT regulation. Furthermore, even if we go ahead and assume that it is GOVERNMENT regulation that Passage B is referring to (which I do not think we can do, of course), we don't know anything about its regulation regarding "drilling muds" - all we know is that the discharges (line 33) from drilling muds are regulated - IMO, there is never any information given upon which we can infer that drilling muds in and of themselves are regulated in terms of composition - all that is supported is that their discharges and their use are regulated (and who even knows if that comes from the gov't to begin with - maybe it's some company's policy!). Help? Thanks!

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: PT54 S1 Q10

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Yes line 35 brings up govt regulation but it is re-referenced in line 42, and 59
in the cases of BOTH WBM and OBM. Line 48 obviously tells us OBMs have 30% mineral oil and lines 55 on talk about residues from cuttings sieved from drilling fluids *muds* that can be discharged overboard.

Also I think in passage B, paragraph one it says "drilling mud, cuttings and associated chemicals are normally released...THESE discharges...and their use is tightly regulated" Implying that the drilling mud+cuttings+assoc chemicals are all part of "discharges"

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: PT54 S1 Q10

Postby MissLucky » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:58 pm

JJDancer wrote:Yes line 35 brings up govt regulation but it is re-referenced in line 42, and 59
in the cases of BOTH WBM and OBM. Line 48 obviously tells us OBMs have 30% mineral oil and lines 55 on talk about residues from cuttings sieved from drilling fluids *muds* that can be discharged overboard.

Also I think in passage B, paragraph one it says "drilling mud, cuttings and associated chemicals are normally released...THESE discharges...and their use is tightly regulated" Implying that the drilling mud+cuttings+assoc chemicals are all part of "discharges"


OH. see, that makes sense. BUT, how do we figure this is GOVERNMENT regulation? is it that obvious that it would have to be gov't regulation?

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: PT54 S1 Q10

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:13 pm

MissLucky wrote:OH. see, that makes sense. BUT, how do we figure this is GOVERNMENT regulation? is it that obvious that it would have to be gov't regulation?

Regulation to me = govt regulation unless specified otherwise. Also it mentions that you need to comply to get an operating license etc.. I guess it COULD all be regulated by the industry somehow but I figured it was govt.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: PT54 S1 Q10

Postby MissLucky » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:00 pm

yeah, I guess that is fair to assume. Thank you !!!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13 and 5 guests