How many here have..

whymeohgodno

How many here have..

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Improved their RC significantly after prepping?

I scored a -5 on my diagnostic...and I'm averaging between -3 to -5.

Was wondering if anyone suffers the same struggles as me on RC and if there is anyone out there who was able to improve significantly.

deadhipsters

Re: How many here have..

Postby deadhipsters » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:20 pm

I look at them as if they are LG's. I time each at 7.5- 8 minutes each. And go from there. It sounds silly. But it helps with the timing and got me down to -0 to -2. Also just practice obviously.

WeX11788

Postby WeX11788 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Improved their RC significantly after prepping?

I scored a -5 on my diagnostic...and I'm averaging between -3 to -5.

Was wondering if anyone suffers the same struggles as me on RC and if there is anyone out there who was able to improve significantly.

My biggest and most consistent improvement has been timing. I've learned how to work through RC questions. I feel that it takes a lot of repetition and timed practice to get yourself to a point to where you can accurately gauge how long you should be spending on each question. That's been my biggest improvement thus far. It's also really important to have a disciplined focus throughout the entire read, and that's something I'm improving upon as well. If you start nodding out for a few seconds, you've got to be able to recognize it and put a stop to it immediately.

I'm working hard on RC, but it always comes down to the passages for me. At certain times I'll comprehend the passages in their entirety & perform extremely well (to my standards). Other times, I'll just bomb some passages. It's frustrating to feel like it's really going to come down to whether or not I have "good" passages to read on the real thing.

Postby 2014 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 pm

-6 on my diagnostic, averaging -4.55, never better than -2 and that was only once.

RC pisses me off to no end, if anyone has the secret to breaking through I would be eternally grateful.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 pm

My RC is all over the place. I was averaging -2 for a while, but now I'm averaging -3.5.

adampres

Postby adampres » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 pm

I saw strong improvement when I began to focus more on time, practicing each section in 7.5 minutes. I've found that when I'm pushing my reading pace a bit, I focus better and don't drift off while I'm reading. Plus, it always leaves me with five minutes to review at the end. I went from a consistent -4 or -5 to usually getting -1 to -2.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”