What kind of improvement can I expect until test day?

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

What kind of improvement can I expect until test day?

Postby zephyr36 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Right now I'm about to begin 50-60 taking a test every other day and reviewing/drilling on odd days. I'm at an average of 167, but have been getting above my average for the past several tests (two 169). I really want to be competitive at CCN, so I'm shooting for a 170-172. I have a 4.04 lsac gpa, so I'm really looking for an LSAT score to match. Is it unrealistic to think that I can jump that much in the next 20 days? My weakest section at the moment is LR. I'm typically getting around -3/-4 per section.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: What kind of improvement can I expect until test day?

Postby bartleby » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:15 pm

I think take some time out to prepare for the exam outside of LSAT stuff. Read up on basic testing strategies because test day nerves can really impact your score (in a bad way). If your real LSAT score is the same as your low-end avg at home, I think you should feel really good.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: What kind of improvement can I expect until test day?

Postby Jeffort » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:20 pm

zephyr36 wrote:Right now I'm about to begin 50-60 taking a test every other day and reviewing/drilling on odd days. I'm at an average of 167, but have been getting above my average for the past several tests (two 169). I really want to be competitive at CCN, so I'm shooting for a 170-172. I have a 4.04 lsac gpa, so I'm really looking for an LSAT score to match. Is it unrealistic to think that I can jump that much in the next 20 days? My weakest section at the moment is LR. I'm typically getting around -3/-4 per section.


You are in range and it sounds like you are getting better as you go. If you keep up a good study and practice routine for the next 3 weeks you should be able to at least maintain your current range and hopefully improve it by at least a few points.

A lot of people that prep correctly do make their final improvements in the last few weeks when it 'all comes together' as the result of good prep and review. I made my biggest consistent improvement in my score in the last few weeks and have seen many others do that as well.

Granted, it involves not just doing timed tests, but also the reviewing/drilling thing, which you are doing. Keep doing that and make sure to take breaks so you don't get burnt out.

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: What kind of improvement can I expect until test day?

Postby zephyr36 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:22 pm

bartleby wrote:I think take some time out to prepare for the exam outside of LSAT stuff. Read up on basic testing strategies because test day nerves can really impact your score (in a bad way). If your real LSAT score is the same as your low-end avg at home, I think you should feel really good.


Yeah, I know that getting above average on test day is pretty rare. I'm going to try to mitigate this by studying in louder environment e.g. a coffee shop or something, but any other tips you can provide would be really helpful.

zephyr36
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am

Re: What kind of improvement can I expect until test day?

Postby zephyr36 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Jeffort wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:Right now I'm about to begin 50-60 taking a test every other day and reviewing/drilling on odd days. I'm at an average of 167, but have been getting above my average for the past several tests (two 169). I really want to be competitive at CCN, so I'm shooting for a 170-172. I have a 4.04 lsac gpa, so I'm really looking for an LSAT score to match. Is it unrealistic to think that I can jump that much in the next 20 days? My weakest section at the moment is LR. I'm typically getting around -3/-4 per section.


You are in range and it sounds like you are getting better as you go. If you keep up a good study and practice routine for the next 3 weeks you should be able to at least maintain your current range and hopefully improve it by at least a few points.

A lot of people that prep correctly do make their final improvements in the last few weeks when it 'all comes together' as the result of good prep and review. I made my biggest consistent improvement in my score in the last few weeks and have seen many others do that as well.

Granted, it involves not just doing timed tests, but also the reviewing/drilling thing, which you are doing. Keep doing that and make sure to take breaks so you don't get burnt out.


Thanks. This is really encouraging. I've heard enough people on TLS stress the importance or reviewing and drilling, so I plan on putting as much time into that on off days as I do on test days.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: What kind of improvement can I expect until test day?

Postby Jeffort » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:03 pm

zephyr36 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:Right now I'm about to begin 50-60 taking a test every other day and reviewing/drilling on odd days. I'm at an average of 167, but have been getting above my average for the past several tests (two 169). I really want to be competitive at CCN, so I'm shooting for a 170-172. I have a 4.04 lsac gpa, so I'm really looking for an LSAT score to match. Is it unrealistic to think that I can jump that much in the next 20 days? My weakest section at the moment is LR. I'm typically getting around -3/-4 per section.


You are in range and it sounds like you are getting better as you go. If you keep up a good study and practice routine for the next 3 weeks you should be able to at least maintain your current range and hopefully improve it by at least a few points.

A lot of people that prep correctly do make their final improvements in the last few weeks when it 'all comes together' as the result of good prep and review. I made my biggest consistent improvement in my score in the last few weeks and have seen many others do that as well.

Granted, it involves not just doing timed tests, but also the reviewing/drilling thing, which you are doing. Keep doing that and make sure to take breaks so you don't get burnt out.


Thanks. This is really encouraging. I've heard enough people on TLS stress the importance or reviewing and drilling, so I plan on putting as much time into that on off days as I do on test days.


If you're totally on top of it and have a good HEALTHY routine and stick to it amazing things can happen on test day even though the norm is for most people to score a few points lower than their recent average.

My test day score was 8 points higher than my average practice test score from the last 2 weeks.

A big part of that was sticking to a daily regimen that kept me in tip top shape with everything. I went to sleep at the same time every night, got up at the same time every morning, took my practice tests at the same time as I would on test day (started section 1 at 9:15 am), rode the lifecycle in the fitness room at the same time each night, ate meals at the same times each day, ate a good balanced set of healthy foods and ate pretty much the same things for each meal each day in terms of what for breakfast, what for lunch, what for dinner, what for snacks.

Doing that regular cycle worked to make a big difference since it had me totally conditioned and in tip top shape at the right time of day on test day.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie, Anon.y.mousse., BamBam2772, BobBoblaw, circle.the.wagons, foodlaw, Lahtso Nuggin, loyalroyal, potus, Smortensen, Tazewell, theboringest, theGrinch, VMars, Yahoo [Bot] and 60 guests