LSAT and law school potential?

Fresh

Re: LSAT and law school potential?

Postby Fresh » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:52 pm

JG Hall wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
UNC is not academically comparable to Berk, UVA, or Mich.

Berkeley is in a class of it's own imo.

so many asians, such little time

Good one man. You're funny...

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Fresh wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
UNC is not academically comparable to Berk, UVA, or Mich.

Berkeley is in a class of it's own imo.

so many asians, such little time

Good one man. You're funny...

I'm asian, I'm from Cali. I'm allowed.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:03 pm

JG Hall wrote:I'm asian, I'm from Cali. I'm allowed.

fair :mrgreen:

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:21 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Does this matter that much? I'm curious. Since law schools are graded on a curve, it might be reasonable to infer that someone at the bottom 30% at Yale would probably be top 10% at a TTT school.

I might be completely wrong though.

Yea bottom 30% at Yale would probably be top 10% at a TTT.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Does this matter that much? I'm curious. Since law schools are graded on a curve, it might be reasonable to infer that someone at the bottom 30% at Yale would probably be top 10% at a TTT school.

There is no "bottom 30% at Yale."

Postby 09042014 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:31 pm

JG Hall wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

There is no "bottom 30% at Yale."

Sure there is.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:54 pm

fosterp wrote:The LSAT is not used to measure your absolute potential in law school or as a lawyer in general. Its used to measure your potential in law school relative to others who are applying for law school. Nothing says a 150 scorer can't do well as a lawyer or in law school. However the statistics will tell you that in general the person with the higher gpa/lsat or both, will do better. I am no admissions person but I assume a school wants to admit the best students they can. The more prestigious the school, the more people want to go there, which allows them to be more selective, and essentially governs what kind of score you need to be competitive in admissions.

The unfortunate side effect is yeah there's gonna be a few people who could be among the best lawyers at the top law firms, but wont get the chance (at least starting out) because they had a hard time in UG or they are bad at standardized tests. I would say though, that someone like that would be the exception rather than the rule.

Statistically speaking a 150 scorer doesn't have a great chance of passing the bar.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6748 ... niabar.gif
http://money-law.blogspot.com/2006/09/c ... rates.html

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:00 pm

rayiner wrote:
fosterp wrote:The LSAT is not used to measure your absolute potential in law school or as a lawyer in general. Its used to measure your potential in law school relative to others who are applying for law school. Nothing says a 150 scorer can't do well as a lawyer or in law school. However the statistics will tell you that in general the person with the higher gpa/lsat or both, will do better. I am no admissions person but I assume a school wants to admit the best students they can. The more prestigious the school, the more people want to go there, which allows them to be more selective, and essentially governs what kind of score you need to be competitive in admissions.

The unfortunate side effect is yeah there's gonna be a few people who could be among the best lawyers at the top law firms, but wont get the chance (at least starting out) because they had a hard time in UG or they are bad at standardized tests. I would say though, that someone like that would be the exception rather than the rule.

Statistically speaking a 150 scorer doesn't have a great chance of passing the bar.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6748 ... niabar.gif
http://money-law.blogspot.com/2006/09/c ... rates.html

Screw statistics.

Anecdotes of extraordinary people getting 151's on their LSATs and making 160k coming out of law school is what's really important.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”