It's great
22%
I love it
No votes

Total votes: 9

motiontodismiss

Re: MTD's February LSAT Study Journal

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:48 pm

PS: I changed my PrepTest days to sunday (has something to do with going to bed at 4-5am on Saturday nights because of my LSAT class, usually when I wake up there isn't enough time to do a huge amount of review), to give myself time to do the Knewton LSAT homework, at least until December 5th. No PrepTest this weekend, UPS called and my Atlas books are here. Spreadsheet updated to reflect this change.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:38 am

A horribly unproductive day at work today. I went to bed at like 9 and woke up at 3 to finish up PT35 and I was pretty refreshed in the morning, but right after lunch I just, crashed. Now I'm just ready to freaking go to bed. Got 5 logic games and went through the first 3 chapters in the Atlas LSAT LR book. If I'm gonna do the wake up early to study thing, I should make sure I get enough sleep. Like wake up at 5 or 6.

I have until Wednesday, November 3rd, to get through the Atlas books (RC/LR), go through PT36, and drill sections in PT23.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:49 am

Saturday, October 30th, 2010, D-106

Spent way too much time on Facebook instead of studying. I fell behind on my plan again. I don't even know why I even make plans anymore, since I know I'm going to break them. Went through the first two chapters on the Atlas RC book, and their strategy seems to be working better than Powerscore's RC. Seems "Find the two sides of the main argument" is easier than "Find the main point". I like their "reading like a law student" schtick. I took me way too much time because I was trying to resist the temptation to fall back into my old habits of underlining every freaking detail. 15/19 in 40 minutes or so on the RC drill, but I found that I had a lot easier of a time understanding the passage and seeing the wrong answers. In fact 3/4 of the questions I got wrong I was choosing between two and I happened to choose the right one. And one of them I fell for one of the most obvious traps in the world...."most useful." We all know that answers containing that word are almost always wrong. And another question I marked the right answer and then picked a different one (I mark what I think is the right answer at first glance with an arrow to mark that I think it's the right answer on every LR/RC question-I can prove the right/wrong answer on LG so that's not necessary there). I'm sure I'll get better as I get more practice. I was planning to get through Chapter 3 on the Atlas book and go over the RC on PT36, but that's probably not happening-I got 15 minutes before my Knewton class starts. FML. I guess it'll have to be tomorrow.

I even skipped my study session last night after work because I was so freaking tired. I'm slacking.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am

Sunday, October 31st, 2010, D-105

I took a tally of the LR questions I got wrong on PT36, and the results are, just, wow.

Principle: 2
Method of Reasoning: 2
Assumptions: 6 :shock:
Weaken: 1
Flaw: 2
Parallel Reasoning: 1
Total=14

2 of the 4 I got wrong on the second go were assumption questions. I guess assumptions is the next chapter I'm going through in the Atlas book.

This, compared to PT35:

Flaw: 4
Weaken: 2
Inference: 5
Assumption: 3
Parallel Reasoning: 2
Total=16

Seems the assumption questions on PT36 are either harder or I'm much weaker on them.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:01 am

Monday, November 1, 2010, D-104

Unofficial Entry: 15 weeks left till the real thing (holy shit). I still fail at assumption questions. I guess I'll need to do another practice drill. I seem to have gotten most of the flaw questions down solid, 14/15 on the practice drill. I tried out a new strategy where I go much slower, break down the argument into component parts, and basically write out the entire process of solving the question. On the 3 assumption questions I tried this on, I got them all right. I guess that's what I'll be doing on the drills. It's also a nice process to go through since it requires an actual understanding of the stimulus. The idea is with practice this process would get faster and by the real thing I won't have to write out the process-it'll come to me automatically.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Tuesday, November 2, 2010, D-103

Changed up my 3 day review cycle as of this week.

Sunday: PT
Monday: LR all day
Tuesday: RC all day
Wednesday: LG day, PT night
Thursday: LG all day
Friday: RC all day
Saturday: LR all day

This I could always optimize the time I need to review each section as needed but this is how it goes from now on (and depending on my social schedule I could change up the cycle too-i.e. if I go out Friday night I move LG to friday since I need the least time on it and RC to Thursday). It's probably a better idea for me to focus exclusively on one section each day instead of doing a whole bunch of crap all at once. This way, I could really work on my weaknesses. Tried out the Atlas techniques on an RC section, got a -3/28 in 58 minutes. I know, I'm going way too slow, but I figured as I get better at it, I'll also get faster at it, and without compromising accuracy. This is after a full day at work where I got like 5 hours of studying done too, so I'm pretty happy with it. LG tomorrow and I'm working on grouping games this cycle. Sunday morning PTs are going to become a permanent part of my study schedule now. I'm going to stop doing those overall section drills and just drill one section at a time. And of course, writing up explanations for wrong answers will still be a part of my review.

For review I basically work on the question type that I got the most wrong on, on the previous PT. Drills, quizzes, stuff like that. Rinse and repeat. I'd like to get to -5 or so total on LR and to about -2 on RC, and get to a perfect games section. Lofty goals, so little time.

Hopefully I'll break the 160 barrier on PT37. Well, it's 2:30am and I have to go to work tomorrow so I'm going to bed. TTYL.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Wednesday, November 3, 2010, D-102

PrepTest 37: 160/76 (-5 LG, -10 LR, -10 RC)

Finally, I broke the 160 barrier. This is a good sign. Things are looking a lot less hopeless. I guess I'm not a complete idiot after all. For some reason though I ended up finishing LR at the 27-30 minute mark. I finished the second LR section just past the 5 minute warning, which with a -3, is a good sign I guess. I'm still having trouble with time on LG/RC, but time got a lot better. I guess my new study strategy is working, or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I went to bed for 6 hours and then got up at 4 in the morning to do this PT. Either way, I think -10 in 27-30 minutes each is pretty good. I could actually probably slow down a little on LR, timing seems good on LG as long as I don't get too many grouping games, and timing is unmitigated disaster on RC.

Sect 1 RC: 16 (-10, 6 due to guessing)
Sect 2 LR: 19 (-7, 0 due to guessing)
Sect 3 LG: 19 (-5, 4 due to guessing)
Sect 4 LR: 22 (-3, 0 due to guessing)

LR:
2 each wrong on flaw and parallel questions , 1 each wrong in assumption and inference/must be true, and 4 in Strengthen/weaken.
RC:
8 wrong on inference questions (4 of which I guessed on), 1 Main Point wrong, and 1 detail wrong (the other 2 I guessed on).
LG:
1 wrong on cannot, could, and exact count each (guessed on the cannot/could), 2 wrong on must be true questions (the other 2 I guessed on). 4/5 wrong answers from grouping games.

I'm hoping my PT scores will stay in the 160's and go up to the 170's by PT50, now that I actually went up to a 160.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:08 am

Sunday, November 7th, 2010, D-98

PrepTest 38: 157/70 (-10 LG, -8 LR*, -12 RC)

*3 were misbubbles, if you account for this, the score is: 159/73, (-10 LG, -5 LR, -12 RC). The fact that Q12 was missing probably fucked me up a little bit. I excluded the misbubbles on the spreadsheet.

FUCK. Why the hell did I misbubble 3 answers? I ended up with a lower score than PT37, primarily because I bombed LG and RC. I think -8 on LR with 3 misbubbles is reasonable performance (this means as long as I don't misbubble I'll get a -5). I guess I'll have to spend a lot more time on LG than LR now, with the most time being spent on RC. But still. This probably has something to do with the fact that my schedule got all fucked up so I slacked a little in the second half of the week. I still have yet to review PT37 LR, so I'm really surprised at the LR performance. -5 is like, untimed territory. I guess I'll just need a cursory review of what stumped me, then focus all my energy on improving those bloody RC/LG questions. My goal is to get to -6 on RC and -0 on LG. Guess I'll have to practice games a lot more.

Still making good time on LR (still finishing just pas the 5 minute warning, although I went a little slower today and finished with only a couple minutes left-hence the marked improvement on LR), but time is a major issue on RC and LG. Even on RC I make good time on the first two passages and then I fall apart on the last two. I'm guessing more timed practice is needed? Usually timing falls apart when I jump back and forth between passages and stuff, same with games. I usually finish game 1 by the 8 minute mark, then on this section I only got to 3 of the 4 games. Guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Even if I have to work a lot more on games though I'm going to go in this order:
Tonight: Games, Chapters 1 and 2 in the Atlas book (or however far I can get before dropping dead in ~4 hours)
Tomorrow: LR, both PT37 and 38 (total of 15 questions). Review Assumptions, work on Strengthen/Weaken and Inference questions. A problem set on each category, but 2 or 3 on Strengthen/weaken.
Tuesday: RC, PT38. Finish off the Atlas book, do RC sections, infinite time. 3-4 of them.
Wednesday: Games. Do 4-5 sections with particular focus on grouping and advanced sequencing. Then PT39 after work.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:51 am

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010,D-95

I just finished going through PrepTest 38 and FUUUUCCCCCKKKK did I fuck up on logic games. On the last game I misread one of two rules, so I ended up not being able to do any of the questions. Read "EITHER N or T is played second" as "NEITHER N nor T is played second." Didn't catch it until I read the rules like 3 more times this morning. Got 4/5 on this game the second time around. Plus I didn't have time to go through the other games as well as I wanted to. And on the first game, I misread a rule and completely glossed over another, resulting in a -3/7. Basically, If I read all the rules correctly, I probably would have gotten a -2 or -3 on this section, for a grand total raw score of 80 or 81, which is like a 164. I basically lost 11 raw score (8 on LG for misreading the rules, 3 misbubbles on LR) points because of my fucking carelessness. ELEVEN POINTS. And 7 scaled points. Ugh. There's basically nothing wrong with my techniques, I just need to get better at it. I should just practice LG a ton and get it to the -3/-2 range. And I noticed that on ALMOST EVERY SINGLE EXCEPT QUESTION IN RC I PICKED THE OPPOSITE ANSWER. If I took one more second, that would have been like, another 5-6 points. Could have easily been an upper 160s score (168/169). I don't know if I should take this as good or bad news-the fact that I'm losing almost 20 points to carelessness, not to a total lack of skill. Three months out.

I'm completely getting lazy on studying, I really should get my shit together. I basically went to bed right after work monday night and spent 7 hours procrastinating after I woke up, and last night I just went straight to bed after work and woke up at like 6 this morning. At least I have tomorrow off so I could catch up on my studying after PT39 tonight.

I'm totally kicking it into high gear now. Found a tutor at a reasonable rate too, their October score's a 175 (retake), and at a hell of a reasonable rate too.

Maybe I should pretend my true score's a 169 now, since 169->175 is a lot smaller a jump than 157/159->175 lol.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:34 am

Thursday, November 11, 2010, D-94

PrepTest 39 (4 section, standard time): 161/74 (-6 LG, -11 LR, -11 RC)

An unmitigated disaster in LR. I did a lot better on RC than I thought. Kind of disappointed that I did so horribly bad on LR, given my -8 last time, with 3 misbubbles. Probably has something to do with slacking the first half of this week. But at least I'm still in the 160s. It should be noted too that my concentration totally scattered during the second LR for some reason, and the LR split was 4/7. Probably reflective of my total scatterbrained-ness. RC is most clearly my weakest section, but I'll be working on improving LR and LG first, as I see the greatest potential returns on my investment there. There's not much I can do about the fact that I read too fucking slow.

I'll just have to take consolation in the fact that my score is slowly creeping up. 6 points down, 14 more to go. Starting from PT40 I'm taking 5 section tests so I'm expecting a bit of a score drop. It would be a miracle if it didn't.

bee's vision

Postby bee's vision » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:58 pm

I think you might want to reconsider your plan. I did the same thing before october, taking 20 something pts in the month leading up to it which I think was more of a detriment than benefit. I took a week off from the PTs to revisit the LRB, I mean really studying it, making flashcards, taking notes and then drilling problem question types in Kaplan mastery and when I started taking PTs again my score skyrocketed. My advice, 1) make sure you have a solid grasp of the concepts before you burn through anymore PTs. It sounds like you still could gain from mastering the powerscore concepts, otherwise you're just instilling bad habits. Do a lot of drilling, I reccomend doing them untimed. 2) Then, take 50-61 using LG or RC from 40-49 as experimental sections.

Just my 2 cents.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:12 am

I'm actually going through 2 PTs a week with review in between. My score didn't go up into the 160's though until I started working with the Atlas books. I don't know if that's sufficient to say that it's their techniques that did it (since I did PS at the start and Atlas 3 months in), but this strategy seems to work. I'm not instilling bad habits though since I'm going through the book and doing review at the same time (at least I think).

The last week or so I totally slacked on reviewing so I'm actually surprised that I kept up my score. I was expecting a drop to be honest. And since I'm still 10 points below where I need to be I guess I'm taking another 3 weeks of 4 section tests.

PT40 tomorrow. I got the procrastination bug, I need to at least finish reviewing PT39.

lamitch

Postby lamitch » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Hey! so I just read every single on of your posts haha
We sound pretty similar; I'm also taking the lsat in Feb, not applying for the 2011 year because I'm a jr, and working towards a 170ish.
Goodluck!

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:32 am

lamitch wrote:Hey! so I just read every single on of your posts haha
We sound pretty similar; I'm also taking the lsat in Feb, not applying for the 2011 year because I'm a jr, and working towards a 170ish.
Goodluck!

Thanks for reading! :D I try to make this entertaining but seems I'm not as funny as I think I am.

And good luck on the February LSAT, let me know how it goes.

lamitch

Postby lamitch » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:15 pm

haha I thought it was pretty funny, I'm currently probably considered borderline obsessive on all this LSAT studying so it was nice to find someone who tries to prep as much and as extensively as me
I've only taken a 2 proctored free kaplan tests and went from 150 on Oct 2nd to 155 on November 13th with a little review and reading in between, I'm really cracking down this week :( freaking out because I really want a 170, but would be ok with something at least over 166. I decided that I'm going to make my friend look at the score first and if it's not over a 166 then I'm not even going to look at it and going to do something fun and I'll just take it again in June (cross our fingers this won't happen) haha

would you advise doing untimed tests in the beginning or do you feel as if that hurt you?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:38 pm

I went from 143 cold to 152 cold....the 143 was because I was still in SAT land and thought they took points off for wrong answers. Left like a third of a section blank.

I would do a couple untimed tests and then jump right away into timed tests. Untimed tests reinforce shitty habits (like dwelling on a particularly hard question) and you can always do sections untimed if you need to drill. And you should really work on one question type at a time.

For me I'm 170 or bust. T20 or I'm not going to law school. 8) If the economy improves I should be able to get something in finance. Then armed with a few years of work experience maybe try for Northwestern Law on with the GMAT. Or just go the freaking MBA route.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:34 am

Wednesday, November 17, 2010,D-88

I totally have the procrastination bug. Been really distracted lately, basically did nothing for a couple of days. I wonder what kind of catastrophic effect it's going to have on my PT scores, and I'm trying something new on grouping games. Maybe it's my add or the weird music at work but I seem to keep getting things wrong. I guess I'll just have to practice the living daylights out of this new strategy. I'm taking PT40 tonight (more like tomorrow morning) because I totally procrastinated and didn't bother taking it on Sunday. Hopefully I won't have lost my 160's streak, since I drilled like 65 LR questions, 6 RC passages and 6 games over the past couple of days. Or maybe I'm just feeling a bit sick and I should just get some sleep. For some reason I've been in a kind of a daze all week.

Here's to hoping I at least stay in the 160's this week.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Thursday, November 18, 2010,D-87

PrepTest 40 (Standard Time, 4 sections): 166/86 (-4 LR, -6 LG, -5 RC)

Shock and awe, people, shock and awe. There was the fact that I got super lucky with guessing and of the 9 total questions I guessed on both LG and RC I got 5 of them right. Even if I got them all wrong, my score's a 163, and at average chances (20%), that would have been a 164. I guess those endless drills did help to some extent. Especially on LR. I never thought I'd master LR first-I always thought that section would be games. I guess I have a shit ton of room to improve now, since I'm actually capable of getting a decent LR score and actually capable of doing decently on the RC questions I do get to (18 right/20 questions I got to). I totally felt stoned during the whole test, but I guess that could actually be a good thing. Now time to print out a dozen games to practice for today.

Things are looking much less hopeless here in motionland. 180 on the February LSAT FTW.

Review schedule leading to PT41:
Today: LG at work LG at night
Tomorrow (day off, thank the lord): LG morning, LR afternoon, going out in the evening.
Saturday: RC all day.

I'll post the breakdown for this test today at work, but for now I have to go to work. TTYL.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:28 am

Sunday, November 21, 2010, D-84

PrepTest 41 (Standard time, 4 sections): 164/82 (-11 LR, -5 LG, -2 RC)

Ok, totally unusual RC performance. Totally uncharacteristic. It did help that I did see 3/4? passages before so I kind of recognized a couple of them (but didn't remember any of the questions FWIW). Even assuming normal performance, which is in the -8 to -10 range, it would have been a 160 or so. LR is totally disappointing, but given that I did like, no review whatsoever between the last PT and this one, I guess I totally deserved that. I got thrown for a loop with the last game, with the circular table game-do they even have those on the newer LSATs anymore? For what it was worth, I took this test majorly sore, on an empty stomach (the only thing I thought about was how fucking hungry I was). I even thought about just giving up on this PT. I took a bit of time to warm up today, ran out of time on the first LR which hasn't happened in 3 PT's, and finished just in time on the second one.

And as for review? Didn't happen. Spent all freaking weekend procrastinating instead of review. I guess I'll be doing double the drilling for the next PT.

Review leading up to PT42:
Tomorrow: (day) Reasoning, (night) Reasoning
Tuesday: (day) Games, (night) Games
Wednesday: (day) RC, (night) PT42

I'm going to try to perfect LR/LG before I work seriously on RC. LR/LG are like 73% of the test....

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:08 am

EDIT FOR FAIL: Misentered one of my answers on the computer. Actually a 165/83. Still disappointing but a bit less. (-11 LR -5 LG -2 RC).

But my LR scores are looking like the Dow on a good day....-10, -5, -11, -4, -11. This is never a good sign.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:05 am

I did a section of LR untimed and did a horrendous -5 on it, with all 5 mistakes being in the last 10 questions. I'm not seeing things as fast as I used to a week ago. Burnout?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”