It sounds good
22%
It's great
22%
I love it
No votes

Total votes: 9

Remnantofisrael

Re: MTD's December LSAT Study Journal (now February)

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:27 pm

I know you don't care, but for the love of GOD stop giving yourself 45 minutes. You are teaching yourself shitty habits. Either don't time, or time. When I timed and ran out, I still answered the rest of the questions, and tried to do so as quickly as possible, noting when I ran out, and how much time it took for EACH ADDITIONAL question. THE ONLY way you get faster is to practice being faster.

Really, I, and half the good scorers here, could get 180's 90% of the time if we gave ourselves an extra 10 minutes per section. But it would train our brains to take too much time on certain simple tasks.

Also, if your only real problem is LR, and you just can't get past it, figure out what TYPES of questions cause you the most trouble and we'll go from there. I BET you could really use a class on formal logic. I'm sure others will agree with this concept- I've NEVER had a problem with LR, and that is because I know logic. If I didn't know logic, I would make lots of mistakes and take twice as much time as needed. even on October 10 LSAT I had 5+ minutes left after each LR section. I still have my problems with RC and LG (or did- I'll never take this bastard again) but LR is all about knowing logic.

Postby 2014 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:53 pm

I don't know where to find it anymore, but Cambridge LSAT has a spreadsheet somewhere that you can enter in the question numbers you missed on a given practice test and it will tell you what types they are which could be useful over the long run comparing.

I wish you the best though. You have ambitious goals, but are well organized and I hope you succeed.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Unless you start scoring in the 160's in the very near future, I'd recommend waiting until June. It's not the end of the world.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:59 pm

3|ink wrote:Unless you start scoring in the 160's in the very near future, I'd recommend waiting until June. It's not the end of the world.

I agree on postponing if not ready. However, why do you think he/she needs to postpone until June!?! Don't we have A LOT of time until Feb.?

I didn't listen and I took the October 9th test after studying for a month/half! I was about 5 points away from my goal. Stupid stupid decision...

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:02 pm

ly2010 wrote:
3|ink wrote:Unless you start scoring in the 160's in the very near future, I'd recommend waiting until June. It's not the end of the world.

I agree on postponing if not ready. However, why do you think he/she needs to postpone until June!?! Don't we have A LOT of time until Feb.?

February has too many variables. Weather threw a lot of people off this year. Your score isn't released. If you apply in February, you're better off waiting to apply until the next cycle anyway.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 pm

3|ink wrote:
ly2010 wrote:

February has too many variables. Weather threw a lot of people off this year. Your score isn't released. If you apply in February, you're better off waiting to apply until the next cycle anyway.

Yeah, but if you get sick or something awful happens you can always take the June test and apply early! I think taking the October test is too late for ED or if you want to apply ASAP in September.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:38 am

3|ink wrote:
ly2010 wrote:

I'm sure your score is released (your test however is not). And what test doesn't have those variables? And besides I'm applying next cycle anyway. I wonder on what basis everyone's concluding that I'm applying this cycle. I can't give myself that much time, I'll stop studying and lose all that progress from the past 2 months.

Besides which I'm taking the LSAT in Asia, the test is nondisclosed anyway, no matter what month I take it in.

As for the 45 minute tests, I figured if I can't get the scores I want at 45 minutes, there's no way in hell it's happening in 35. I switched to 45 minutes from ~1 hour when I hit 174 then 170 on my PrepTests, I'm switching to 30 minutes/section as soon as I hit 170 or higher. Then hope that the Feb test has a kickass -16 curve or something.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:59 am

Oh, by the way, updated spreadsheet up.

EDIT: Wow, I'm an idiot-I can't believe I didn't think of Google Docs.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:45 am

ly2010 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ly2010 wrote:

Yeah, but if you get sick or something awful happens you can always take the June test and apply early! I think taking the October test is too late for ED or if you want to apply ASAP in September.

are you saying taking the october is too late to ED? So if I get this right, taking October 10 is too late for getting in ED for 2010-11 cycle? Total BS. Basically every dean has stated (with only a few counters like Yale I think) that there is really no benefit in applying before October/November, even for ED.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:22 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
3|ink wrote:
ly2010 wrote:

I'm sure your score is released (your test however is not). And what test doesn't have those variables? And besides I'm applying next cycle anyway. I wonder on what basis everyone's concluding that I'm applying this cycle. I can't give myself that much time, I'll stop studying and lose all that progress from the past 2 months.

Besides which I'm taking the LSAT in Asia, the test is nondisclosed anyway, no matter what month I take it in.

As for the 45 minute tests, I figured if I can't get the scores I want at 45 minutes, there's no way in hell it's happening in 35. I switched to 45 minutes from ~1 hour when I hit 174 then 170 on my PrepTests, I'm switching to 30 minutes/section as soon as I hit 170 or higher. Then hope that the Feb test has a kickass -16 curve or something.

My bad. Your score is released. I meant tos ay that the test isn't released so you can't go over what you missed. If you're going to take the LSAT, you're better off taking a test you can learn from.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:42 pm

Its my personal opinion that you shouldnt start drilling full PTs until you are scores on specific sections that are sufficient for the score you want. If your aiming for a 170+, getting -10 consistently on LR is not going to cut it, especially with the harder curves in later tests. Especially if you are giving extra time and still getting -10 in LR then there are some basic principles that you need to refine for that section. I would redo the LR bible, and possibly buy into one of the courses that offers full explanations for every section so you can see just where you are going wrong. While not as good as LSAC explanations on superprep, it may teach you some key ideas that you may not be grasping. When you start doing full timed PTs, you start factoring time pressure, mental fatigue, etc, into the mix which makes it hard to focus on your weak areas which is actually figuring out the right answers in LR.

Think of it as playing baseball. You need to be able to catch, throw, hit, and run. If your hitting is terrible, you don't work on it by playing more games of baseball - you practice it in a batting cage. Of course, a batting cage wont emulate the pressure of a real game, but getting consistent in the cage is important before you attempt to conquer the pressure of a game.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
are you saying taking the october is too late to ED? So if I get this right, taking October 10 is too late for getting in ED for 2010-11 cycle? Total BS. Basically every dean has stated (with only a few counters like Yale I think) that there is really no benefit in applying before October/November, even for ED.

I am not saying that taking it in October is too late for ED in general. For me, I want to be able to get a score, decide where I can go, start/finish my applications, and apply before/on October 1st. I know a lot of TLSers took the June LSAT to avoid that problem. The October 9th LSAT will be emailed by Nov 1st. If you are slow like I am, you'll probably need a few weeks to consider/reconsider the score and apply accordingly to what you got. Thus, I guess the emphasis should had been placed on "if you want to apply in Sept/Oct" taking the October LSAT will be too late. I definitely did not mean that you couldn't ED if you took the October LSAT. I am sure if you work it out you can avoid putting yourself at any disadvantage.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:24 am

Sunday, October 17, 2010, D-119

PrepTest 32 (45 minutes): 165/81 (-3 LG, -6 LR, -10 RC)

Today was obviously not my day for RC. I found the section quite easy but I got my ass kicked on one of the passages (-4/6 on the third passage-happened to be my least favorite topic). Again, time issue. For some reason I couldn't keep up the momentum that I had on section 1 (LR) where I had a -3. And Section 4, I thought I got raped on but did better than I'd thought (a -3). I had a really hard time on the first game in the LG section for some reason, probably had something to do with it being a grouping game. I'm really not good at those. I should really work on getting a perfect on LG, I thought I had a really good grasp on it until I started taking timed tests. I spent too much time wrestling with the setup instead of doing the damn questions. All 3 I got wrong are from guessing, which means I do have a good grasp on the games, and got 2 out of the 5 I guessed right (although for all 5 I had eliminated at least 1 answer and for most of them eliminated all but two). For some reason I decided to procrastinate and not study all day so that was probably a bad idea, but I think things are looking a lot less hopeless, now that 3 out of the 5 tests I took with a time limit (granted it's not the standard 35 minute time limit) were 165 or above (155, 165, 159, 168, 165). Seems when I don't properly review the previous PrepTest before taking the next one (just to keep up with my 2/week quota) my scores go down but when I do my scores jump (like 13 raw score points). I should probably stop taking days off from studying. It's kind of frustrating to see myself bomb different sections on different preptests-if I consistently bomb LR or consistently bomb RC or whatever then I could obviously see a pattern, but it seems like I bomb LG, LR and RC in rotation depending on the phases of the moon or something.

I'm thinking -6 is within the acceptable range for LR, barring a nightmare curve like -8, but of the past 15 LSATs, there have only been 1 of those. I think most were between -11 and -14. So assuming a -11, that's -5 on the rest of the sections. When I think about it this way that 170 seems within reach :D

Interesting fact: The average curve for every disclosed LSAT between June 05 and now was -11.19, median -11, and mode -11 for a 170. For a 175, -6.36, -6, and -6 respectively. Highest and lowest were -8 and -14, and -4 and -8, respectively. seems to me that EV is -11.

Anyway, it's 12:30 at night, I have to go to work tomorrow morning, so I'm going to bed. TTYL.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:53 am

really you need to stop assessing yourself using improperly timed PTs

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:42 am

Going to 30 minutes starting with PrepTest 34 (this week). New spreadsheet up to reflect this change in strategy. Still feel like I'm rushing into it.

Gives me 34-62 (december 2010), SuperPrep A, B, and C. What's that, like 31 tests?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Wednesday, October 20, 2010, D-116

PrepTest 34 (Timed 30 minutes): 150/58 (-12 LG, -20 LR, -11 RC)

A major ass-kicking tonight. This is my first "standard" test and here I go with a 150. This is not a good start. Then again, when I went to 45 minutes from an hour, I had my ass handed to me in a similar fashion (then my score went up 10 points on the next PrepTest fwiw). I got through maybe half the games in the LG section. For some reason, tonight was not my night. I took way too long a nap and woke up at like 1 in the morning, then started this PrepTest close to 2AM. Then I don't even get through 2 games. I used to be able to do certain games in like 5 minutes. WTF. The only section where I didn't get my ass kicked (relatively) was RC, and I did majorly bad on my last PrepTest. This seriously sucks. I was starting to feel confident but now, not so much. Now I have to go up 25 points (or 15 if my last 15 minute time reduction was any indication) to get to my target. Probably had something to do with freaking out on logic games and then making one of the dumbest mistakes known to man (not thinking through the rules). Next PrepTest I think I might just write off a certain portion of the questions and see if that improves my score. Say, 1 game (more like half a game), 1 passage, and 3 questions on each LR. I'm hoping this is NOT indicative of my true ability and PrepTest 57 (I have to do this for HW-maybe I should do 35 instead like a normal person) this weekend will bring me better news (at least a score in the upper 150's-and I'll just try not to get upset knowing 30 minute tests underestimate your true score). A 15 point increase sounds more accessible than a 25 point increase. Fortunately my diag in March was a 155.

Nothing to be frustrated about here.....I bombed everything. Especially LG. I never went below -6. Ever. Even on PT7 I got a -5. I'm thinking I'm taking longer on each question because I know I can get the question right. I guess I need to time myself during my morning warmup. First at 10 minutes a game/passage, then 7 minutes.

Whatever, perhaps I should get a tutor. And I definitely need to look at the time management chapter in the powerscore books again.

motiontodismiss

Re: MTD's February LSAT Study Journal

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:32 am

Friday, October 22, 2010, D-114

Arrrrrrgggghhh. I went through the logic games section to go over the questions I got wrong and I found that the games are ridiculously easy. Why the fuck did I not get them the first time? (probably because I was more worried about staying within time than actually doing the bloody game) I'll probably find that it's the same story with some of the LR I got wrong. Sometimes I look at a question on a past PT and go how the fuck did I not see the right answer, and then I realize my mistake, and then I make it again on the next PT. Wtf.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:20 am

Sunday, October 24, 2010, D-112

PrepTest 35 (35 minutes): 154/65 (-7 LG, -16 LR, -13 RC)

Okay, I guess this is a little better but not by much. Accuracy on the questions I actually got around to improved, I hope. My biggest problem is still time. Found out of the 7 I got wrong in LG, 5 were questions I either wrote off to get to the next game to stay within time, or didn't get to because I ran out of it. RC really kicked my ass today, barely got through 2 passages and started a third, and of the 14 questions I actually got to, I got 4 wrong. God, that's horrible (then got lucky with guessing and got 3 questions right). Of the 16 questions I got wrong on LR, 8 were because I ran out of time and had to E out the answer sheet. Used the simugator LSAT Proctor DVD, and to be fair I should NOT have used the take test with distractions setting. At least not until I can consistently score in the low 170s (a day which I firmly believe will come).

Had I gotten to all of the questions, based on a 83% accuracy rate on LG (3 wrong/18 questions done), a 71% accuracy rate on RC (4 wrong/14 questions done), and a 81% accuracy rate on LR, theoretically I could have gotten 4 more LG, 9 more RC and 6 more LR questions right. That's another 19 raw score points and that scales to a 166. A total inability to stop dwelling on past questions cost me 12 points. Fuck.

And Knewton's RC methods just aren't working for me. They're pretty good for LR (I went from like -7 to -3/section on LR after their lesson on assumptions), but I tried their method on RC and I got through 6 questions in 13 minutes. Too fucking slow. I'm sticking with Powerscore's methods (which are more detail-oriented, Knewton tells you to virtually ignore the details). I'm already a slow reader, and I read faster when I focus in on the details, but trying to get the bigger picture is more of a challenge especially with LSAT type passages. Oh and I was totally unfocused throughout that section for some reason. Probably has to do with the fact that I worked overtime this week and had to work 6 days instead of 5 (least I got 2 days of vacation out of it-1 because they won't pay me overtime and 1 because I'm not supposed to work on saturdays). And barely had time to study, so I gotta go over both 34 and 35 by Wednesday afternoon if I want to stay on track.

My [deleted] Briggs Type-ISTP-indicates that I should be good at this type of thing. I'm hoping for improvement sometime in the next month. Mid 150's isn't too bad a place to start.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhatToDo21

Postby WhatToDo21 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:20 am

Dude, my man I want to give you a little advice. A.) Don't time yourself with 45 minutes B.) Don't time yourself with 30 minutes C.) Time yourself with 35 minutes like the actual test!! Granted, I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing to start out timing yourself with 45 minutes or so, and then reducing the time with each test by a minute or so butttt you have taken quite a few practice tests you should probably be around the 35 minute threshold. Also, the people who time themselves with 30 minutes are either already scoring near perfect with 35 minutes, or are not confident. I would say stick with the 35 minute time mark and stop bouncing around, this will help you build an internal clock that will allow you to get a sense of where you are in relation to the time barrier.

Next, you need to go through the bibles again or take a prep course or something. 14 wrong on RC is crazy, same with 16 in LR I mean your getting 1 out of every 3 questions wrong in that section, RC 1 out of every 2. LG -7 is not good either you can improve so much there. I would go through the bibles again, work through them slowly you have until February now. I just wouldn't recommend keeping on burning prep material. RC is a tough one to improve I was always super inconsistent, ranging anywhere from -12 to -4.. Anyway, I read on here someone saying how they would read it almost like out loud in their head. Just say every word in your mind like you would if you are reading it out loud. This helped me get -3 on test day with RC, so maybe give it a shot. Good Luck though, prepping is tough, you have a good attitude keep working you will get better.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Monday, October 25, 2010, D-111

Just went over PrepTest 35 today, with the exception of RC. Of all the questions I got wrong (all 16 of them), I got 1 wrong. Granted I took 40 minutes so way longer than I should have but still. And on the second go, -0 on LG. Missed a totally obvious inference on the last game=>took 5 minutes to set up=>fail. Maybe I should stop being a lazyass, stop thinking and start writing down EVERYTHING. RC on PrepTest 34 I got -2 out of 11 on the questions I got wrong, and -0 on the passage I didn't even touch because I ran out of time. I really should finish up reviewing PT35, but it's 4:30 in the morning and I have to shower and go to bed. I should really stop napping right after dinner-I woke up at midnight tonight, so got a lot less studying done than I would have liked (and busy day at work today so didn't get the ~4 hours I normally get done at work either).

Ordered Atlas LSAT (now Manhattan LSAT I guess) books off of amazon. Paid $110 including international express shipping but hey, that's peanuts compared to law school tuition, right? Should be here by the end of the week. Turns out I miscounted my PrepTest schedule so I'll skip a PrepTest and go through them, especially the LR and RC. I seem to "get" LG, just need more practice to kind of train myself to see the not so obvious inferences. I can usually get a perfect game done in 10 minutes, which is a step in the right direction.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:26 am

Proof that I'm obsessed with the LSAT:
1. I was numbering pages in my mistake book and couldn't bear stopping at 169. So I numbered up to 172. Once I get there I'll probably number up to 180.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am

MTD

Your plan is well organized as far as taking PT's go, but I think you need to drill sections.
You've got to understand where you are going wrong. Taking a PT is distracting you from learning the sections properly.
E.g. do 4 RC's in a block and try to see what is slowing you down. (My advice - don't underline too much and don't spend too much time trying to grasp every detail.)

In general are you reviewing your mistakes thoroughly? You must go back over the questions you got wrong and work out why. I used to circle anything I was hesitant about and would review that too even if I got it right.

You need to stick to 35 minutes for the foreseeable future on any section, then drop it 30 minutes if you want extra pressure later on. And you need be strict about turning to the next section immediately and only having a 15 minute break between S3 and S4.

Definitely insert an "experimental" section when doing full PT's so you can mimic a 5 section test. You will see the difference it makes. (In fact I used to insert 2 experimentals to tire me out.)

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:06 am

In general what I do for review is take the questions I didn't get to/got wrong and redo them, until I get it right. Then i write out my own explanation. The whole process is exhausting and time consuming. Figured it would do me some good to see where the hell I'm going wrong and to actually explain the damn correct answer instead of just stopping at "oh, I got this right now, I 'understand' it, moving on". If I can't explain why the right answer is right, I don't understand, or at least the theory goes (any questions I don't "get" or I'm not sure about I refer to the explanations from Knewton, and revise accordingly). I don't know if this is thorough enough.....

The problem I have with RC is that I usually focus on the details (mostly viewpoints, modifiers, transition indicators, and topic statements-all those essay elements we learned in like, 8th grade) and then kind of fit them together to understand the passage as a whole. Problem is this process takes forever. Given 10-13 minutes I could do a perfect passage. Incidentally, 99% of the time I miss the actual thesis.

I had to work overtime last week so I'm in catch-up mode (almost caught up, should be caught up by tomorrow afternoon), but what I do is do a problem set every morning to get me going (I have a cushy job with a lot of free time, which I incidentally use on LSAT prep). Up till now it's been 1 game, 1 RC passage, and anywhere between 10 and 20 LR questions. Now I'm planning on switching that up and working on specific question types for LR, and I'll probably start picking out grouping games since I seem to suck at those.

I also ordered the Atlas LSAT books and they'll be here tomorrow so I'm going to go through them at the same time (and sometime in the month of november take the 2 days of vacation I earned working overtime and really sit down with the Atlas LSAT books). I don't know if their techniques will work better than Powerscore, but Powerscore techniques seem to take forever. They worked great when I was doing untimed tests (scoring in the high 80s raw), but kind of fell apart with the timed tests. Powerscore seems to be pretty good for games, but there's the time issue again. I usually only get to doing 3 games to my satisfaction. I really need to stop trying to disprove every wrong answer-just pick the damn right answer and move on. But old habits die hard. REALLY hard.

I use one of those stupidly overpriced LSAT proctor DVD's (sections 1, 2 and 3 back to back, then 10 minute break, then sections 4 and 5), so I'm pretty strict on myself about that. When I used to do irregular times I wasn't so strict. From 40 on I should probably take sections out of the older PrepTests (the out of print ones-I don't want to cannibalize the newer ones) and make 5 section tests. By my count, December is 62, so that's 22 5 section tests, and superPrep A, B, and C, should be adequate i think. I always figured preptesting after a full day at work would adequately simulate fatigue even if I only do 4 sections.

Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself. I always beat it into my head that I NEED to beat my previous score, and if I don't the entire world will fall apart. Then there's the whole thing where I dwell on past questions-I keep telling myself not to do that but again, it's been a habit on every test I've ever taken and it's coming back to haunt my ass.

PrepTest 36 tonight, we'll see how it goes.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:In general what I do for review is take the questions I didn't get to/got wrong and redo them, until I get it right. Then i write out my own explanation. The whole process is exhausting and time consuming. Figured it would do me some good to see where the hell I'm going wrong and to actually explain the damn correct answer instead of just stopping at "oh, I got this right now, I 'understand' it, moving on". If I can't explain why the right answer is right, I don't understand, or at least the theory goes (any questions I don't "get" or I'm not sure about I refer to the explanations from Knewton, and revise accordingly). I don't know if this is thorough enough.....

The problem I have with RC is that I usually focus on the details (mostly viewpoints, modifiers, transition indicators, and topic statements-all those essay elements we learned in like, 8th grade) and then kind of fit them together to understand the passage as a whole. Problem is this process takes forever. Given 10-13 minutes I could do a perfect passage. Incidentally, 99% of the time I miss the actual thesis.

I had to work overtime last week so I'm in catch-up mode (almost caught up, should be caught up by tomorrow afternoon), but what I do is do a problem set every morning to get me going (I have a cushy job with a lot of free time, which I incidentally use on LSAT prep). Up till now it's been 1 game, 1 RC passage, and anywhere between 10 and 20 LR questions. Now I'm planning on switching that up and working on specific question types for LR, and I'll probably start picking out grouping games since I seem to suck at those.

I also ordered the Atlas LSAT books and they'll be here tomorrow so I'm going to go through them at the same time (and sometime in the month of november take the 2 days of vacation I earned working overtime and really sit down with the Atlas LSAT books). I don't know if their techniques will work better than Powerscore, but Powerscore techniques seem to take forever. They worked great when I was doing untimed tests (scoring in the high 80s raw), but kind of fell apart with the timed tests. Powerscore seems to be pretty good for games, but there's the time issue again. I usually only get to doing 3 games to my satisfaction. I really need to stop trying to disprove every wrong answer-just pick the damn right answer and move on. But old habits die hard. REALLY hard.

I use one of those stupidly overpriced LSAT proctor DVD's (sections 1, 2 and 3 back to back, then 10 minute break, then sections 4 and 5), so I'm pretty strict on myself about that. When I used to do irregular times I wasn't so strict. From 40 on I should probably take sections out of the older PrepTests (the out of print ones-I don't want to cannibalize the newer ones) and make 5 section tests. By my count, December is 62, so that's 22 5 section tests, and superPrep A, B, and C, should be adequate i think. I always figured preptesting after a full day at work would adequately simulate fatigue even if I only do 4 sections.

Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself. I always beat it into my head that I NEED to beat my previous score, and if I don't the entire world will fall apart. Then there's the whole thing where I dwell on past questions-I keep telling myself not to do that but again, it's been a habit on every test I've ever taken and it's coming back to haunt my ass.

PrepTest 36 tonight, we'll see how it goes.

Good luck tonight. I think if you are getting an upward trend in scores that is the main thing, you don't always have to beat the last score. Make sure you do plan those 5 section tests, and try to take a PT every Saturday morning at 9am to see how you function in the morning. Doing a PT after work to simulate fatigue is fine, but I still think you need to iron out the RC and LR.
The strategy I read and adopted was:
1. Accuracy
2. Time
3. Stamina

You reviewing method is sensible. The more you review and see the tricks and consistency not only will your accuracy improve but you will spend less time getting there. Stamina is important, but don't focus on it until you are getting good scores in a max of 35 mins. However, if you don't have time to address stamina when you have got Accuracy and Time down you may not do that well on the real test. There is nothing like nerves to tire you out even more. Adrenaline over at least 3 hours doesn't cut it.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Thursday, October 28, 2010, D-108

PrepTest 36 (standard time): 158/72 (-8 LG, -14 LR, -7 RC)

Either this test had a ridiculously easy RC or I was somehow really focused. I breezed through the first passage at 8 minutes, but of course timing fell apart at the passage about Binns and literature (I hate those), and had to skip to the other passages. Got my butt kicked on games. Is it just me or does everyone find the bus game really hard? The pilot game and the radio call game were fairly easy (and a total of 1 mistake came from those, and that one being a mistake where I proved the correct answer and chose something else because I was probably high on something other than life), but the bus game and the fruit game kicked my ass. 7 mistakes total on those two. I'll have to redo the setups on those two.

What I found totally bizarre, though, is the fact that I did quite well on LR and RC. Maybe it's a fluke or maybe it's not, but at least it made me feel better about my potential on the test. I really gotta iron out the time issues on LG. I get a grouping game or something like the bus game thrown at me and I completely fall apart. I'm thinking it would be a good idea for me to practice grouping games a lot more, and games involving conditionals. Here's to hoping I'll get 4 linear sequencing games on the February LSAT.

Gotta work out those RC problems. I should delay PT37 to go through the Atlas books and get caught up on review. I'm still reviewing PT35 right now lol.

This entry delivered a day late, my internet was down last night for whatever idiotic reason (at least after I was done with my PT).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”